User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
For those who want a quieter Q4

I installed the quiet insert intended for the powercore 4 today which has a 1-1/8 " opening ( part number 040630) and it is MUCH quieter than the standard Q4. The spark arrestor does need about an inch trimmed off the end to make it fit, but that took about 2 minutes with a hacksaw. You may need to lean the mix up a tad, but its a pretty minor change if anything.

No more ear plugs needed!

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
I installed the quiet insert intended for the powercore 4 today which has a 1-1/8 " opening ( part number 040630) and it is MUCH quieter than the standard Q4. The spark arrestor does need about an inch trimmed off the end to make it fit, but that took about 2 minutes with a hacksaw. You may need to lean the mix up a tad, but its a pretty minor change if anything. No more ear plugs needed!
I've given up on FMF. After the rivets came out in less than six months on my Ti Q2 and later riding behind my buddy with a new Q4 ... which wasn't quiet enough, IMHO. You're mod will help him, I'll let him know.

A KTM 950 buddy had his FMF's fall apart too ... within a year, less than 10,000 miles. Rivets all out or loose. Junk. Went back to stock for now.

Many riders I know have moved away from FMF and are now willing to spend the money for quality: Akropovic, Remus, Scorpion, Leo Vinci ... all make a better product that the Flying Machine Factory do ... who's product's I've used since the early 80's on many dirt bikes. Oh how things change.

On my DR650, and other singles, finding a good lightweight muffler is hard. I've now gone with the Suzuki GSXR Titanium can, which fits the DR with an expensive mid pipe. Not as light as the FMF (but WAY lighter than stock) but quieter and will last forever. Japanese QUALITY ... something the multi millionare that owns FMF has forgotten about ... apparently.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Crispy12
Rocks and Roots

Oddometer: 4
How did silencer work out longer term?

Will the quiet insert intended for the powercore 4 today which has a 1-1/8 " opening ( part number 040630) work on a Q4Ti as well? How did silencer work out longer term? Thanks
Crispy12 is offline   Reply With Quote