ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
treemuncher OP
Vegetation Terrorist

Oddometer: 286
FerrySTOC 4 May 16-19, 2013 Paris Landing SP, TN ADV ride loops too!

FerrySTOC started as an st-owner.com forum event. We are not a "bike exclusive" type group or event - everyone is welcome to attend. I am also including some dirt/gravel routes for the ADV type riders in the hopes to meet some new ADV riders whether on sport touring bikes, adventure touring bikes, DS bikes or others.

Expect the group rides that I lead to be a sport touring type ride. If I have time, I may also lead a short ADVtour ride. Whatever and where ever we ride, it will be fun. I am expecting riders from California, Florida, Wisconsin and everywhere in between to attend. Lots of my buds from st-owners love Iron Butt rides so here is a chance to meet a lot of these guys who absolutely love to ride the distance.

Basically, this is the same event, about the same time at the same place! The Tourism League has granted me funds to host this again so expect a big tent in case of rain, free camping and rides on local ferries.

The basic theme: There are 4 major rivers (Tennessee, Cumberland, Ohio and Mississippi) and 4 working ferries (Houston-Benton Ferry, Cumberland Ferry, Cave-In-Rock Ferry and the Dorena-Hickman Ferry respectively) within my area that act as the ride objectives for an event. It's not many days that a motorcycle rides over water without being on a bridge and many of the back river roads are the most scenic and least traveled routes around.

Location: Paris Landing State Park http://www.tennessee.gov/environment.../ParisLanding/
on the Tennessee River (Kentucky Lake) will be event headquarters and accommodations site. Hotel, cabins, campground and restaurant offer multiple lodging options on site. Other accommodations and local info can be found at http://visitparislanding.com This local area is within an 8 hour drive from most of the major cities within the Midwest, South and central regions of the country.

Destinations: The 4 basic ferries plus more options along the way - RTE at Lambert's Throwed Rolls in Sikeston, MO or Kirchoffs Deli in Paducah, KY or Cave-In-Rock State Park restaurant overlooking the Ohio River, Pattie's in Grand Rivers, KY. General sightseeing stops at Garden of the Gods in Shawnee Natl Forest, Land Between The Lakes, Fort Donelson Battlefield and many more. There is always something to see or do close by. For those who can't get enough dirt and like to DS it, there is always plenty of gravel throughout LBL or south in Stewart, Houston and Humphrey Counties.

Timing: This can always be iffy with the fluctuating river elevations in the spring time. The Mississippi River and the Ohio River will be the most affected by the high waters and the ferries are often closed due to high water levels in the spring. Routes will be changed as required. The river roads offer some of the best touring available.

I will post proposed routes on GPS map files as I get them drawn up. Bring your water wings and your pink tutus!

Menu for the state park's restaurant : http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/...buffetmenu.pdf

I will definitely plan a RTE at Lambert's Throwed Rolls in Sikeston, MO again. We had many good reviews from that ride and meal.

I have not decided on shirts, yet. If there is enough desire, I can have some printed up. If there is little interest, they will be skipped. Post your opinions.

I will provide the most up to date information at the http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...-Landing-SP-TN link.

Please RSVP if you plan to attend so I can get an approximate headcount. Also, if you would like to purchase an event shirt, post your intentions so that I can make a decision if there is enough interest to justify the order.

Hope to see some ADV riders join us this year. It's always a good time, rain or shine!

www.moonshine-run.com where real riders meet
treemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
treemuncher OP
Vegetation Terrorist

Updates -

Early arrivals on Thursday evening will be treated to a FREE BBQ dinner. I plan to get a whole shoulder, buns, beans, slaw, etc. The Tourism League and Trolinger's BBQ will be providing the meal to attendees. All you have to do is show up.

The senior citizens center will be serving home made pies (and hopefully ice cream, too) for donations. Likely to be on Friday PM.

The tent has been reserved in case of foul weather so that we will have a dry BS station if needed.

Please sign up if you plan to attend so that I can get an approximate head count. This will be the 4th year for the event. It's always a good time!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Hey treemuncher, any special event rates at the SP Hotel?
2005 FJR1300 - "my Blue Angel"
My Twins are Twins!
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
treemuncher OP
Vegetation Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocklaw View Post
Hey treemuncher, any special event rates at the SP Hotel?
I don't think that the SP hotel will offer much in discounts.

I would suggest trying one of these two local motels. Ask for the contact person and ask about any discounts for the event. They are members of the Tourism League and know about the event.

Linda Sutherland
Paris Landing Motel
15515 U.S. 79 Buchanan, TN 38222
(731) 642-0217

Sharon Seaton
Fishtale Lodge
14275 Hwy. 79 North
Buchanan, TN 38222
1-731-642-7113

Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like I need to see if I can find my state rate paperwork.

Mobile Clocklaw
My Twins are Twins!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
treemuncher OP
Vegetation Terrorist

FerrySTOC 4 starts in a week. There will be a lot of ST's as well as other rides in the Paris Landing area. Come join us, if you dare....

Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

I was hoping we could make it but that's my wife's week to work Saturday.....she only works one a month and they are usually positioned perfectly to interfere with things like this.
My Twins are Twins!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I've seen a few st riders today. Forgot it was an st thing and not adv so a couple guys were like what the hell are you talking about crazy kid? So if there are any adv riders out and about today swing by and say hey
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Dukerdr
New old guy

Oddometer: 130
I stopped by a couple of days ago on the Multistrada and you were off. I'll call next time...

I was going to wander up that way this afternoon, but my wife left work at lunch and came home unexpectedly. Good thing I don't have a girlfriend.

So I took her out to eat. It was for the best I suppose. It started raining again on the way home so she kept me from getting my butt wet.

Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
treemuncher OP
Vegetation Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD19892 View Post
I've seen a few st riders today. Forgot it was an st thing and not adv so a couple guys were like what the hell are you talking about crazy kid? So if there are any adv riders out and about today swing by and say hey
This was originally set up as an ST-owners event but I have expanded it to include some great ADV loops as well. We don't care what you ride, just ride safe and have fun.

We had ST's, BMW's, NT's, Wee Stroms, Teneres, Triumphs, Goldwings and more involved in the event. Everything went great with no major injuries with the exception of pride with 2 minor events.

We had some great riding and the best roads were ridden Saturday. I kept us on mostly uninhabited roads with minimal traffic and maximum fun. And we covered 4 states during the rides.

I'll post more later.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Dukerdr
New old guy

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post

We had some great riding and the best roads were ridden Saturday. I kept us on mostly uninhabited roads with minimal traffic and maximum fun. And we covered 4 states during the rides.

I'll post more later.

Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
treemuncher OP
Vegetation Terrorist

I finally loaded some of the pics that I took during the event. We had over 40 attendees from all across the country. Some of the states represented were CA, FL, MN, NY, OK, MO and more. We had a great time, group rides on Friday and Saturday, pie & ice cream served by the Senior Center on Friday evening. The big white tent came in handy during the rainy spells!

I'll do it again next year. About the same time at the same place.

The album is located here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...55949834253361