Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
flemsmith OP
lurk

Oddometer: 508
Solo seat....

I bought this seat off ebay, and as usual, it was not quite what I expected. At first I didn't even think it was for this bike, cause it didn't mount on any frame mounting points I have. After a little on line research it appears to be a real T3 solo seat, (supposedly a police model) and requires some radio mounting brackets to mount it. Which I of course don't have, or want. So I spent a while thinking about how to fab up a set of brackets for it....

The pan needed some clean-up, and the foam/cover had obviously been removed and barely reattached, so I took it off. I started on some brackets that would place it in roughly this position...

...and then I realized I better get it recovered first, partially on account of these tabs on both sides of the gas tank...

Best I can figure, they must be there to keep the front of the seat from moving side to side, because other than the rear hinge mounts, the front support is just some concave braces that sit on the frame tubes. I'll rivet some leather strap/cushion on those, but it still seems like the front of the seat would be prone to wiggling side to side without those tabs...which of course will scuff up the paint on the tank pretty well. I'll take these pix to my seat guy and see what he says before I decide.

Oh! the seat color...when I thought the tank was gonna be mostly black with a very slight shade of red/maroon in the sun, I was all set to have the seat done in a light tan. Now I'm not so sure. I may just stick with black hoping that will help make the paint seem a bit darker... And the thickness...why do I want the seat to be that thick if I'm having it redone? I want it comfy, but surely I don't need 4 inches of foam to get that...

Meanwhile, just been tidying up some things. Both my petcocks were really hard to move, so I decided to yank one apart. (I had ordered some new gaskets a long while ago.) They came apart quite easily, so I'll add a pix of the disassembly while they're soaking overnight.

Here's hoping for no leaks after reassembly. Meanwhile seems like I need to search for some of that hydraulic fluid teflon tape before I mount them.

Mostly I've been stalling on bleeding the brakes, just because I worry I'll get some damn Dot 3 on some chrome or the frame or something...later... roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote