ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #3601
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
Owing an SV is a major pain in the ass if you have a wandering eye. Of all the bikes I've owned, it's the one I'm having the hardest time justifying trying to sell off. I have the suspension fully sorted front and rear, upgraded calipers (off a RC51), and a master cylinder (off an '09 R1) so now it stops and handles as well as anything I've ridden. All for a total investment of around 4 grand at this point not including consumables and basic maintenance. And if I sell it, I'll get what, 3K on a good day?

I've been looking long and hard at Striple R's these past few weeks but can't really convince myself of why the hell I should be jumping ship.
Ummm.... If your talk yourself into the Striple, gimme a shout about the SV.
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #3602
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelR6 View Post
just looking at it makes me moist


WOW!

Details????
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #3603
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Well, I've thought more about this and came to the conclusion that maybe it's just a completely different way of viewing motorcycles and what you want/need/use them for. I have a company vehicle along with a gas card. I've never used a motorcycle for commuting purposes, and wouldn't in the Atlanta interstate traffic even if I did need a personal vehicle for the purpose. I don't enjoy riding on the interstate in the least, and absolutely HATE the heavy traffic on my commute route since it's mostly people too busy texting, talking on their phones, or putting on makeup to bother with driving.

Motorcycles have for over 30 years simply been a hobby, a toy, the thing that I do for fun and pleasure. I've just never seen them as a practical "vehicle" or means of transport, outside of just for the shear joy of it. Since they are a "passion" item for me, the relatively small amount of money difference that fuel economy represents just isn't important to me in the least. I buy motorcycles based entirely on the things they DO for me in terms of the sensations and pleasurable experiences they provide. Unfortunately, these days, with my schedule and other commitments I fall well below that 10,000 mile per year average I used in my earlier example, so the paltry amount of money potentially saved really has no meaning to me whatsoever. I mean hell, the bag of beef jerky I ate yesterday would probably pay for the difference in fuel between my Sporty and the average touring scooter for a week or two.

Now, if I were using a bike for daily transportation, and we were talking about a SIGNIFICANT money difference... like say maybe even $75 to $100 a week, then yeah, maybe so. But, using my example above and for the average commuter, we're really not talking about a lot of money saved between what, for me, would be a fun bike and a boring appliance.

That's just the way I look at it personally, but I realize that different people have different priorities and "hot buttons".

To each their own....

I am in both parts -- I ride daily and have done for many years, but I also love to ride and travel, and do it all on the bike that stirs my soul -- a Ducati Monster. While commuting isn't a lot of fun, I found it VERY practical. I was in a pretty ideal situation for it -- in SoCal, the weather's always good and the traffic's always bad. I could go without a car at all (and have since 1988) so the bike really did save money. Also, In CA (and in most other countries) you can split lanes, and the time saved doing that can be a huge benefit. I was a consultant there for 11 years, and the time saved in traffic translated directly to more billable hours at clients, so even if the bike didn't save money on running costs, it made me an extra $40K in income over that time.

The Ducati isn't the cheapest choice for running, but it's been pretty reasonable. Counting everything -- purchase, depreciation, upkeep, maintenance, gas, tires, insurance, everything, I was at about 15 cents a mile up to about 180K miles. In the last few years, I have put a fair bit of money into it, because I love the bike, so I'm probably closer to 20 cents a mile now, but that's still not terribly expensive. There are cars you can run for less than that, but not many, and not any you'd want to spend much time in. Any decent car will run you more than that to operate.

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #3604
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
I am in both parts -- I ride daily and have done for many years, but I also love to ride and travel, and do it all on the bike that stirs my soul -- a Ducati Monster. While commuting isn't a lot of fun, I found it VERY practical. I was in a pretty ideal situation for it -- in SoCal, the weather's always good and the traffic's always bad. I could go without a car at all (and have since 1988) so the bike really did save money. Also, In CA (and in most other countries) you can split lanes, and the time saved doing that can be a huge benefit. I was a consultant there for 11 years, and the time saved in traffic translated directly to more billable hours at clients, so even if the bike didn't save money on running costs, it made me an extra $40K in income over that time.

The Ducati isn't the cheapest choice for running, but it's been pretty reasonable. Counting everything -- purchase, depreciation, upkeep, maintenance, gas, tires, insurance, everything, I was at about 15 cents a mile up to about 180K miles. In the last few years, I have put a fair bit of money into it, because I love the bike, so I'm probably closer to 20 cents a mile now, but that's still not terribly expensive. There are cars you can run for less than that, but not many, and not any you'd want to spend much time in. Any decent car will run you more than that to operate.

PhilB
The Ducati Monster is one of THOSE bikes that also stir my soul too actually, so I know what you mean by that. My first Duc ('93 900SS) was the bike that actually started all that I've described as far as the soul stirring thing for me. It was the first bike I ever rode that I could say gave me that special feeling. Very few bikes since has done so either actually. I have a thing for Ducs, Guzzis, and more recently tube frame Buells and my HD Sportster. The sounds and feeling of a v-twin just does something for me that no inline 4 has ever done for me. Not a real fan of vertical twins either. And while singles are fine for a dualsport and off road bike, they just don't really do it for me on the street too much either.

Lane splitting isn't allowed here in GA, and even if it was, for the most part it wouldn't help since the average speed on my usual routes is somewhere between 70 and 80 anyway. And generally speaking, even when it's slower it's still moving along pretty good for the most part. Just a dense multi-lane mass of rapidly moving, inattentive people and big trucks. Not a place I care to spend time on a bike. If it was more of a situation of filtering through grid lock traffic then maybe I could see it be beneficial, but for me anyway, the additional risk just wouldn't be worth it in my situation. Besides, it's a moot point anyway since I have a company vehicle and more times than not that is my office, and my "commute" isn't a traditional one where I go to the same office everyday anyway. I probably spend less than 20-30 days a year in my actual office.

On the expense end of things, I don't want to give the idea that I feel the way I do because I have money coming out my ass either, cause I don't. I have bills just like everyone else, and I save money where I can so I can afford the things I want, like bikes that stir my soul. For example, I do all my own service work. Even changing and balancing my own tires. Knock wood, but I haven't paid a dealer to do anything to a bike for me in probably 10 years or so. And when I do mods to my bikes I'm a very frugal shopper, often buying used items off of ebay or forum classifieds or building the parts I want myself. I'm a big advocate of "penny-tech". I am a cheap ass.. Seriously. But there's just some things that I can't see skimping on. And one of those is in bypassing a bike that really lights my fire, and riding something else that bores me, personally, just to save a little gas money.

But you have 180K MILES on a Monster??? Wow! Never heard of a Duc with mileage that high. What year is it? What has been your experience of failures or high wear things outside the normal items?

A Monster is on my very short list of bikes I want next. Please tell me that they don't get better than 50 mpg...
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #3605
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer
 
luckychucky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: SE Missouri
Oddometer: 1,264
Agreed 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
I apologize for derailing the thread a bit and some of the arguments it created. The Gynocycle comment actually pertains to the guys that absolutely must get their feet up on the crash bar mounted highway pegs as soon as they pull away from stops because it looks "cool". To me it looks like the chair with stirrups.

Aaanyway....

Here is a decent looking cruiser and has mid mount controls. Dunno why Dyna's seem to get no love, but I'm not a Harley guy. Maybe SOA can help change the "cool" bikes to mid controls rather than forward! Too bad they killed the XR1200R. Now that was a good looking Harley!

I feel way better on mid-controls, that's what I like about the XL1200R too! Bravo. I thought I was the only one thinking like this.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #3606
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
I feel way better on mid-controls, that's what I like about the XL1200R too! Bravo. I thought I was the only one thinking like this.
Not at ALL. If you read back through this thread you'll see this subject discussed quite a bit. I personally couldn't stand the feeling of my bike when it had the stock forwards on it. Much prefer it now that I switched it to mids.
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #3607
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
... But you have 180K MILES on a Monster??? Wow! Never heard of a Duc with mileage that high. What year is it? What has been your experience of failures or high wear things outside the normal items?

A Monster is on my very short list of bikes I want next. Please tell me that they don't get better than 50 mpg...
Actually, I have 207K on it so far. It's a '93, first year of production, bought new.

180K was how far it got without needing much of anything ever. Up to that point, aside from normal wear items, all I had done was piston rings at 122K, new brake discs at 125K, and a clutch basket at 140K. And that 15 cents a mile cost did include that I do have almost everything done at the dealer; I can do my own wrenching, but I'd rather not if I can afford to have someone else do it. I could have run it a fair bit cheaper than that if I did my own work, looked for used parts, etc.

From strictly a financial standpoint, I should have gotten a new bike about then, but I really like that bike and it fits me right, so I decided to go ahead and put in the money to make it last. Since 180K, I've replaced the carburetors, rear shock, done some electrical work, wheel bearings, master and slave cylinders, a few oil seals and gaskets, rebuilt the forks, stuff like that. I also got some CycleCat rearsets and Staintune pipes, neither of which were cheap. I'm due for brake discs again.

No deep engine work yet; the bottom end and transmission haven't seen daylight since it was built. I'm thinking of getting it rebuilt at 250K just for good measure; my goal is to see 500K on it eventually.

It gets 45 to 50 mpg, depending on how I ride it.

I know of several Ducs over 100K, mostly early '90's Monsters and 900SS's. Mine is one of only two I know of that is over 200K. The other is Gary Eagan's ST4 that he set a bunch of endurance riding records on in the early 2000's. He put about 225K on it before switching to another bike; that bike is at the Barber museum now and not accumulating any more miles.

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #3608
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Actually, I have 207K on it so far. It's a '93, first year of production, bought new.

180K was how far it got without needing much of anything ever. Up to that point, aside from normal wear items, all I had done was piston rings at 122K, new brake discs at 125K, and a clutch basket at 140K. And that 15 cents a mile cost did include that I do have almost everything done at the dealer; I can do my own wrenching, but I'd rather not if I can afford to have someone else do it. I could have run it a fair bit cheaper than that if I did my own work, looked for used parts, etc.

From strictly a financial standpoint, I should have gotten a new bike about then, but I really like that bike and it fits me right, so I decided to go ahead and put in the money to make it last. Since 180K, I've replaced the carburetors, rear shock, done some electrical work, wheel bearings, master and slave cylinders, a few oil seals and gaskets, rebuilt the forks, stuff like that. I also got some CycleCat rearsets and Staintune pipes, neither of which were cheap. I'm due for brake discs again.

No deep engine work yet; the bottom end and transmission haven't seen daylight since it was built. I'm thinking of getting it rebuilt at 250K just for good measure; my goal is to see 500K on it eventually.

It gets 45 to 50 mpg, depending on how I ride it.

I know of several Ducs over 100K, mostly early '90's Monsters and 900SS's. Mine is one of only two I know of that is over 200K. The other is Gary Eagan's ST4 that he set a bunch of endurance riding records on in the early 2000's. He put about 225K on it before switching to another bike; that bike is at the Barber museum now and not accumulating any more miles.

PhilB

Wow, I'm impressed! ... That shuts a lot of people up about Ducati reliability then doesn't it... LOL! And now it makes me want to pull my 93" 900SS out of the corner of the garage, go through it and put it back on the road! Sounds like it is WAY to "young" to retire. I never had any problems out of mine either, but then again, I don't have that many miles on it either. Still in really good shape too. I new they were reliable, I just wasn't sure about longevity in terms of racking up major miles, but you're changing my thoughts on that one now. Now you're also making me want to start shopping craigslist for an early mid 90's Monster 900 again...

And as far as doing my own work, it isn't so much that I can't "afford" to have it done as it is that I'm just too cheap. That, and after a couple of bad experiences, and knowing how a lot of shops and shop mechanics operate, I just trust myself much more than someone else and I tend to be sorta anal about my bikes. The only bike that I've owned in the last 20 years that I let someone else touch regularly was my 900SS back when John Hoffman was still living and operating Cycle Specialties of Athens, GA. I trusted John and he knew his Ducs. He was a cool dude too once you got to know him.
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #3609
travelR6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
WOW!

Details????

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com...afe-racer.html

travelR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #3610
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 7,107
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #3611
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #3612
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy
 
threadkiller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Houston
Oddometer: 1,792
I'd like an SV650, VTR100, or anything similar. I bought a Nighthawk a month ago and have put almost 2500 miles on it. It has no faults, and I hate that. I long for the torque of a V-Twin.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #3613
epb
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 324
1981 Honda 750 Sport fs locally, very tempting...

__________________
"Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers on CICGC
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #3614
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer
 
dmac57's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
I never noticed it before, but at this angle that R1 looks like a very surprised fish about to swallow the front wheel.
I agree, but are K75T riders allowed to comment on aesthetics?
__________________
"Everybody's got to believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer."
- W. C. Fields
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #3615
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer
 
dmac57's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post


One like this built from a Star Bolt.
Why would you want that gorgeous bike with less (or at least less sophisticated) engine?
__________________
"Everybody's got to believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer."
- W. C. Fields
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015