Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
kuhjunge OP
3wheel enthusiast

Oddometer: 343
Thumb Videos with new URL

Howdy readers,
since there had been problems with both of the videos, I think this link here will work better worldwide.

Farewell Finland
Link: http://sauerkrauttofuwurst.smugmug.c...325289_bD66ffW

Baltic roads
Link:  http://sauerkrauttofuwurst.smugmug.c...350184_MjB2szf

Still trying to figure out how to embed the videos here.

∼ Wolfi
kuhjunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Bastropos
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Watching from Austin, Texas

Good luck on your journey! Sounds like a great time. Best of luck!
Bastropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
kuhjunge OP
3wheel enthusiast

Cool2 Poland

Nothing special... Well sorry to say, but those were the first words that came into my mind now when trying to think what to write.

8th of May we left the camping place in Lithuania. Me tiptoeing the first kilometres and Wolfi sweating behind... I wanted to be sure that my day doesn't start with a fall! It was a beautiful hot day (close to +30) and in the Poland side spring/summer was again much further. Berry/fruit trees nicely flowering and lovely sweet smell everywhere and of course plenty of bees! I got already my second stung (first was in Latvia), but luckily I'm not allergic so wasn't bad at all.

This time we didn't take much sand roads, because there was not much meaningful ones (just very very small ones) and we also had a schedule to keep up to.

First night in Poland we stayed in a small cabin in some kind of home/farm camping place. We didn't have internet access in the previous place so couldn't choose a place beforehand. In the first bigger town we started then to search a place to stay. First tried to get some translation help in a shopping mall parking place... Hopeless! Then we just decided to drive on for a moment and luckily saw a sign next to the street! Ok place, but in the end costed twice as much than the ten times better/nicer/cooler place what we had the following nights. This camping place also had plenty of animals there and to my opinion all were maltreated, especially the dogs! Horribly dirty and smelly cages, dogs furs all messy and nails way too long. Next morning when the owner had already gone I had courage to go close to the dogs (previous night they were trying to act scary) and noticed that no-one had left them any water or food and it was a very hot day!!! So I went to get my water bottle and girls dry food and instantly when those poor (huge) dogs saw what I had they were behaving totally nice! I filled their pots through the (prison)bars and got me two new beautiful friends :) Real gentle giants when you treat them nicely!

Beautifull and extremely nice big (60-80kg) boy :) His friend hiding somewhere in the behind cage.

After the camping place we headed deeper into the Polish countryside towards so far the coolest/nicest accommodation of our trip. It was another hot day, but now with some pressure in the air and a heavy wind! So heavy that I really had to struggle to stay up at some moments! Few kilometres before our hotel it finally started to rain and thunder... and what a thunder it was! We had some difficulties to find the place and at one crossing Wolfi left me for a moment to look for the right street (it was again this nasty drift sand and all tired and wet didn't have energy to do any extra milage) and while he was gone a lightning hit very close by and so hard that the sound wall cracked (or whatever it's called)! That was scary as hell, I had never heard anything like that before! Later on it gave even extra chill when I learned that bike isn't too safe to be at when there's thunder... Well eventually we found the place and for this difficult sand road part we swapped bikes because Wolfi has more power and longer legs to hold my bike up when it starts to wobble.... but he did fell also... not badly though, but at least now I don't have to try to explain anymore how difficult it is!

Gościniec Figlówka - Really cool mansion in the middle of nowhere surrounded by beautiful forest.

Done with great taste everywhere and not expensive at all! (at least off season) Here I would love to go again with more time!

The umbrella turned out to be very practical :)

Lyra was extremely happy to get proper play in the next morning!

Hertta and Ulpu sleeping after a heavy play time :)

Saturday 11th of May we had to leave this beautiful place because Berlin was waiting... what a pity! We had again rather easy roads, but still very nice. Lovely countryside with gorgeous big trees around the streets bringing us needed sun. Some small rain showers here and there, but nothing too big. Afternoon we arrived to Lowicz Walecki Motel Park, which first looked rather cool and interesting, but in the end was a quite dump... and a rip off! The owner seemed like a dog lover and heavily offered us his garage and showed his bike project and other collection items... but in the end just took heavy money of all these. Left rather nasty aftertaste :( 

Weird things around the place.

Lousy lights, so needed my 'otsalamppu' :)

There was no kitchen so had to do all the cookings in the bathroom. Luckily(?) no fire alarms anywhere.

Interesting sunset in the last evening. Soon after this started heavy rain and we went downstairs to play pool and that was fun! Way too long time since the last game!

~ Ilta
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
You've certainly drawn my attention with the interesting bikes. The dog stairs on the hack are amazing.

When do you plan to leave Europe towards Morocco?

Looking forward to your further exploits. Gute Reise!
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,147
In and good luck...The tofuwurst got me As a vegetarian for a few years a and vegan for another 10 I am excited to see how you guys do food wise. If you make it to the states and hit New York City dinner is on me
Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
tsiklonaut
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Hi Ilta, Wolfi, Hertta, Lyra & Ulpu,

Glad I met some of you at Jõgeva Treff, decent setup you guys have and wishing you the very best on your travels.

Just try to keep the rubber side down, dogs well fed and take it easy.

PS: Next time you come through Tartu at least say "hi" and have some beers on us ;)

Safe roads,
Margus & Kariina
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #22
kuhjunge OP
3wheel enthusiast

you can take some credit ...

Hi Margus & Kariina, well - the pleasure was all mine. Your journey certainly was one big inspiration for me

Thanx for the offer, if we will be ever in Tartu again - I come back to it
Old 05-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #23
kuhjunge OP
3wheel enthusiast

Berlin - paradise for vegans

Both of us got a warm feeling knowing we would be soon in Berlin – a sense of belonging, some sort of home. I had my first visit to Berlin when I was 14yrs old, and Skippy and me have visited Berlin several times. So we knew the place a little bit, which shops are where, what to expect, where to go and
especially the fact that there are many vegan restaurants and vegan shops.

Having a break on the way to Poland

During the past days, my to-do list for Berlin was just getting bigger and bigger. I had severe problems with my gadgets and applications on my Mac and we needed a proper internet connection to do some major uploads. One of the major issues was my GPS. For some reason, I did not get maps of Berlin installed and I was forced to navigate based on major streets, tall buildings and the position of the sun.

I did have the vague recollection the connection was working at home when I installed my maps on the Mac. I spend about many days – searching internet, now in Berlin I was able to visit Touratech, Globetrotter and Saturn in figuring out why my Mac does not find my GPS.

Thanks to all of you technical guys, who tried to help me. Even though we eliminated many options what it was not, none of the proposed solutions really helped me.

The closest we got was to install Windows on my Mac, and then use basecamp to connect to my GPS. The remaining problem was that all my maps were installed on the Mac side. In the end, the real hint what to do came from advrider.com forum. The USB of my old Garmin GPS (USB2.) and my new Mac (USB3.0) do not like each other, and by using a USB-hub (USB2.0) in between,
all my troubles vanished. No problem to connect to the GPS.

What a relief!!!

Our hotel was another "dog-unfriendly" hotel. With 5EUR/dog/night - it became quite expensive and IMO a rip-off. The argumentation that "we MUST clean everyday", even though we did not want this service was anyway complete BS. They cleaned only once during our stay and then after we left (I assume). The staff was friendly with expectation of the boss - a female dragon. Anyway, we got room # 14.

Room 14 - reminded me a bit on "Harry Potter - closet under the stairs"

OK - after a while, we found our room ... well the door was slightly bigger and I hit my head only a few times.

We eliminated some luggage and thus, we could buy some more luxury items for the trip and now we got us lovely chairs This will upgrade our camping life at least manifold.

The new camping chairs

Besides the chairs, we had no room for a pot to wash dishes or clothes. We decided to go with Ortlieb's 10l foldable bowl and found instant use for it

Skippy ask me later why I bought "alkoholfrei" (alcohol-free) beer and I said, that I did not and she showed me the label. OMG - a clear indication how exhausted I was and how troubled my mind had been with all the issues we had so far.

fridge

We also visited my aunt, did some other shopping as planned and enjoyed the rich vegan food options in Berlin. Vegan restaurants and vegan shops – what a pleasure! One can just go and order (or buy) without having the usual conversation of ordering a cheese salad without the cheese, or going to an indian place. We ate delicious food and I liked the burger at Vego Foodworld so much, that we went there even twice.

Vego Foodworld

Delicious vegan burger

We also tested another vegan restaurant "Le Orchid V Noir" in Joachimsthalerstr. (Passagen). The food was mostly vegan, however you need to be extremely clear in the beginning. The owner seemed to only see the business opportunity of the vegan niche market, and does not always take it "110% serious". So better be careful with this one. This menu really looked like duck and tasted like duck. Only when you start to dig and examine the "meat" one sees that the structure is based on veggies.

Vegan duck (looks like duck, tastes like duck - is no duck)

We wanted to do something for Skippy's sore butt and tested the air-hawk cushion, which did not work out, because it made her feel unsafe on the bike – too wobbly. Maybe it's better to change the seat and make it a little softer.

Since our dogs are not used to being free in city, they simple do not know how to behave there with all the other dogs, bicycles and cars. They would do all sorts of non-sense from running away to hunting the ducks and swans. In our
last evening, we went to Spinnerbrücke – a place to see and be seen – had a snack and went to Wannsee so that girls could finally be free a little bit and play.

Our bikes at Spinnerbrücke

Our country-side dog Lyra was barking almost all the time and we were wondering what now. Now she is free and could play on the beach fetching stick, and no – barking barking barking. What a dog!

As it was getting dark, we went back to the bikes and got ready to go. Now also Hertta was barking towards the bushes and Skippy had a glimpse. On first sight she thought there was people (many cars were still at the parking lot) and they were “busy” and then – Shock ... I think the picture says it all

What the heck is there in the bush?

It's a wild hog eating

... and this toy fence ends a few meters away from us, where one goes to the beach!

∼ Wolfi
Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
kuhjunge OP
3wheel enthusiast

Track - Via Baltica

Since I finally got my GPS-Mac problem solved, I was able to upload our track through Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland to google maps.

(click on the picture to get the track in google maps)

Click here to see the track or copy/paste this link:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...U.kj8b4JZPOskw

∼ Wolfi
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
kuhjunge OP
3wheel enthusiast

Cool2 Towards Müller-Gespanne in Brodersby

Skippy's Suzi had again starting problems when we left Poland. This became annoying and since Skippy was going to do some rides alone later on (to her Karate training), we decided to invest in a new battery. First I wanted to have a Hawker Odyssey, however there was no meaningful way to fit the available models into the bike, so we decided to become “modern” and bought a lithium battery from Shido. First, I thought it's empty – light as a feather compared to lead-acid. Well, again a few kilos saved :)

We spent Pentecost (Pfingsten) in the camping place in Flessenow besides the lake of Schwerin. The weather included thunderstorms, lightening, it was chilly, mostly wet with some sunny moments. On sunday there was a big volleyball competition on site and in the evening we were invited to join the neighbors on the campfire.

Volleyball tournament

Campfire (picture taken with Nokia N8)

Wolfi working with the laptop (again) ...

A typical daily delicious and healthy salad.

Delicious dark beer (and soooo cheap compared to Finland - heavenly)

Kids and adults had fun riding bicycle with sidecar (cheap version with two axes only)

We left on a cloudy but warm day and rode smoothly to Oersberg where we spent the night before visiting Müller-Gespanne for the sidecar changes. Magnificent and stunning rapeseed-fields along the roads. We could not get enough of these sights and they smell also soo good. Here a short picture rhapsody on those fields.

All the sudden the wind turbines emerged behind the rapeseed field

Around Brodersby

The view right besides our tent

Sunset

More views around Brodersby

Girls having fun

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
... and more fields.

Arriving at Mueller-Gespanne

Müller-Gespanne @ Brodersby

We were allowed to pitch our tent in their backyard during our extended stay and spread out stuff almost all over the place ;)

Rain rain rain and chilly

Skippy making food

It seems to me that the Finnish people were somehow able to export a typical Finnish summer (i.e. max. +15C and plenty of rain) to northern Germany. In the few days we have been here so far, we had plenty of rain combined with strong winds – nothing too pleasant, maybe a good practice for Scotland

Girls had to be in the extra thick sleeping bag to keep them warm 

We had also two (2!) sunny day during our stay and we enjoy them even more. Our dogs got quickly settled with Lotta, the guardian dog of the . 

Ulpu lost her toy to Lotta

I am not sure whether Lyra wanted to play with those cute bunnies or eat them? She had regular staring competitions with those fellows

Bunny - playmate or food???

The other one enjoying some fresh food.

Vegan sausages, potatoes and asparagus :)

Manner - one of my all time favourite waffles appear to be vegan - good for me!

Strandkorb life in the backyard

Many houses had a traditional roof made of straw. Looks cool and according to Wikipedia it shall last 20-30 years.

Houses with straw-roof

and another ...

... and still one more

~ Wolfi
Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #26
kuhjunge OP
3wheel enthusiast

Road impressions from Poland and Germany

We had some difficulties getting a proper internet connection to upload pictures and this video. Finally I managed to get this video together. Enjoy...

Click here to see the video or copy/paste this link:
http://sauerkrauttofuwurst.smugmug.c...461731_JHwZ6w6

~ Wolfi

p.s. still don't know how to embed a video from SmugMug into advrider
Old 06-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #27
kuhjunge OP
3wheel enthusiast

Cool2 Sidecar modifications

A quick review what kind of modifications we did on the sidecar. The main reason for the whole action was that we could not open the lid of the alu-case when it was standing in its normal position.

Too careful handling of the boxes lead to this slight mis-adjustment

Well, no big deal as such. Two case holders needed to be moved a few cm backwards and that was it. The bigger job was to repaint the whole frame, especially since it had an additional wax protection inside the metal pipes. Since this paint job was necessary, there was a chance to do other welding jobs at the same time. I did not like the idea that one important screw (holding the sidecar wheel) was standing out a little on the bottom side. This is where I expect to hit rocks and other bumps when riding with a tilt (i.e. one wheel is in the car lane and the other is off of the other lane). At the same time, we re-routed the wires and the cable for the suspension adjustment, so that they are not any longer below the frame.

Screw and wires are coming out from the bottom of the frame

No more sticking screws coming out on the bottom

Peter also made a plate which protects the other important screw of the sidecar wheel.

Screw-protection

I also got my winch installed :)

WARN XT17 Winch installed on the sidecar

And we did a just-in-case carrier plate, maybe to hold a water barrel or something like it.

Additional holding plate for XYZ stuff

Several few minor modifications, the painting job and getting everything together again took its time. In parallel to those things, I did a few modifications and installations now, since Peter has all sorts of tools and I was running out of time at home.

Now all is done and I sleep better ;)

~ Wolfi
Old 06-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
kuhjunge OP
3wheel enthusiast

Laugh Riding towards Calais

We needed some "vacation" from the rainy and cold experience of Brodersby. We found an affordable apartment in Blomesche Wildnis (Glückstadt) with own kitchen and stayed there for a few days. THE opportunity for Skippy to do some nami for us :)
In fact, the cake was tasting soo good, that she made it two times in those few days

Delicious cinnamon cake

Tasty salad for lunch with BBQ-fried soy and eggplant.

Though luck for us, the owner forgot the password for the WLAN. Several days without internet - our backlog just piled up. We also went to Hamburg - shopping at Globetrotter, Louis, vegan shop and an emergency stop at Starbucks to check email and vegan places. I was a bit disappointed from Globetrotter and Louis compared to those in Berlin. In Berlin, the shops feel spacier and cleaner. Well, we got what we needed and went quickly to eat in a vegan restaurant "Loving Hut".

Vegan food for Wolfi

Oh - this was good, could have had some more ...

Skippy was supposed to have something lighter without soy/wheat, but then there were these weird soy medallions.

Springrolls (which tasted like 'kaalikääryle'), rice noodles and yummy salad.

Skippy had again her butt-problems, so we went to Cuxhaven to visit "Elbe - Orthopädie" in the hope they could help Skippy. We decided to take the ferry (quite expensive - we paid a total of 12.50EUR one way) to cross Elbe.

Ferry Glückstadt - Wischhafen

HUGE container ship crossing our way and we needed to give way

Took a while ... I wonder how many thousands of containers are there ???

The guys collected rubber ducks

They were everywhere on the landing poles ... strong sailor and little boys

Evening walk in Cuxhaven

And yes, the winter got extended

The next day Detlef had time to look after our seat. So we went there, took the seat down, removed the seat cover and measured Milady's butt and her "pressure points".

They do all sorts of things from seats to prostheses

They decided to replace the centerpart of the seat with a different kind of material.

Detlef - the boss flexing out a piece of Skippy's seat.

Modified seat to release pressure points in the butt and it fits the color of the bike ;)

Elbe Orthopädie

The real boss of the house

After we figured out how to use an electronic stapler we put the seat cover on and the job was done. THANK YOU very much!!!

Obviously we complained enough about the expensive ferry (we went over three times), and so they allowed us to stay in one of their empty flats which is currently under renovation. This was very kind. The bikes were parked in the inner yard and I did some maintenance. For some strange reason, the front axle bolts got loose. First I did not get it what happened. When we were in Hamburg, the speedmeter went off occassionally, which meant there was a huge clearance. During our stay in Blomesche Wildnis, I tried to tighten them according to the manual, but then the wheel did not move anymore either. Strange behavior. I called Peter, he could not advice any more then RTFM. OK, I dissambled the front, so that I could remove the wheel. All parts looked fine to me, then I put them back together and now I was able to apply the appropriate torque without problems (and the wheel still moving). Well, I need to keep an eye on those screws.

Tightening front axle bolts

We were good to go and off we went to enter Netherlands. We found a sweet place directly besides a canal, so you could tie your boat directly in front of your room

Pension B&B het Smidsvuur

Neighborhood

Shoping street

Plenty of those kind of bridges - traffic lights for boats, barriers for street traffic

More pics of the neighbourhood - we wondered about those huge living room windows, where others can easily look into your living room.

Small harbour in the village

Breakfast in sun at the landing stage

And we got some company during breakfast - unfortunately the diets did not match, so no food for those fellows

We spent two nights in a sleepy village called Aardenburg, made it quickly through Belgium and entered France. Now we need to figure out how to get with sidecar and dogs to UK and we need to find a vet to give our girls the required tapeworm vaccination.

~ Wolfi

Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #29
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,302
This sounds awesome

Along for the ride!

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhjunge View Post
Though luck for us, the owner forgot the password for the WLAN. Several days without internet - our backlog just piled up. We also went to Hamburg - shopping at Globetrotter, Louis, vegan shop and an emergency stop at Starbucks to check email and vegan places. I was a bit disappointed from Globetrotter and Louis compared to those in Berlin. In Berlin, the shops feel spacier and cleaner. Well, we got what we needed and went quickly to eat in a vegan restaurant "Loving Hut".
Do you use happycow.net? I assume you do, but if not check it out. Also I think you will find "Loving Huts" throughout the world. My friend found them all throughout Asia and the Middle East. We have one in NYC and I know about a half dozen more in the northeast U.S.