Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Day 9: Yup the roads are still rough in Ukraine

Starting Point: Kiev, Ukraine

Today's goal was to navigate around Kiev and make my way towards the Russian border. I took a northernly route around the city and was surprised when I met a couple guys on dirt bikes during one of my map check stops. They helped point out my location and concurred that my route was a good one. They also gave me a few Russian words that I should know.

Ending Point: Somewhere close to Russia
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 10: To Russia We Go

Starting Point: Somewhere close to Russia

Today is May 20th. The day my visa starts for Russia, which means today will be the day I enter Russia. I pick what I think will be a medium sized border crossing on the map and head off that way. I arrive to find almost no traffic (Score!) and quickly move up to receive my piece of paper and begin the process. I handed over all my documents to the man in the booth and began what seemed like the process for the first motorcycle crossing the border ever.

He raises my passport up, looks at it, looks at me, and a large smile starts to cross his face. He makes the a hand motion that looks like stroking a mustache and comments on my passport picture. Which had a mediocre stache that I no longer had. He prods the girl behind him and shows it off, she laughs as well. What ever helps get me across the border at this point

Crossing into Russia was a very similar process. No comments on the mustache picture though.

Once through the border, I headed north towards Moscow. With a pocket full of rubles and my cyrillic reading skills improving with every road sign, it was time to log some miles.

Ending Point: Somewhere south of Moscow
Old 05-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #18
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 11: Moscow

Starting Point: Somewhere in Russia

Today was the day I would be arriving in Moscow. All I had to do was drive a couple hundred kilometers, navigate through a city of 12 million people with no GPS, and find my friends apartment.

It started off pretty normal, larges roads, heavy traffic, and the drivers were slightly crazy. I was disappointed that I couldn't see dashcams in every vehicle like the youtube videos would have us believe. After hitting some traffic, I followed the cues from other bikers and drove along the shoulder. Hooray for another place where motorcycles can do as they please

Navigating Moscow was a bit easier than expected, or I just got lucky. So as I type this I am currently at my friend's apartment here in the city. My bike is stashed in a hallway underneath a market .

If anyone is around this area and up for some riding or a beer, hit me up
I am currently in the Zheleznodorozhny area.

Abandoned Hospital:

Once I set off on my bike again I will update it.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
Stray Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Great write up, enjoyed reading it with my morning coffee.
Can't wait for the next instalment....

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #20
Piopio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hi !
This trip looks interesting, so let's go for it

Enjoy the ride !
Piopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #21
crowe2815
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Looking forward to the rest mate. feel free to throw up as many photos as you can. i love looking at that part of the world.
crowe2815 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #22
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More Photos

I'm currently hiding from the rain here in Moscow, hopefully the sun shows up soon cause there is a lot to do here.

A few things I have noticed along the way. In Germany it was always a knife in the right hand, fork in the left, for pretty much every meal. I felt weird eating french fries with my fingers there. In Russia, using a knife is not as common.

Contrary to popular belief, there's still nice people all over. I've only met one person who I felt uncomfortable around. I guess you can meet some shady characters when loitering outside of a train station though.

The only thing I wish I put more time into when planning this trip was learning a language. Oh how I wish I could communicate here. Instead I feel quite dumb

Couple eggs I found while walking down the streets.

I'm a big fan of statues and there's definitely no shortage of them here. It's wonderful

Tsar Cannon. Weighing in at 40 tons.

Cathedral of Christ the Savior. I'm not a very religious person but the artwork and architecture of all the cathedrals is very impressive. Wish I could have grabbed some photos of the inside but it's highly frowned upon.

eightup screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 04:28 AM
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
jorrizza
newb

Oddometer: 69
Subscribed! Quite a nice trip already. Good to see you're not skipping our little country.
jorrizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorrizza View Post
Subscribed! Quite a nice trip already. Good to see you're not skipping our little country.
I should be passing through your area right as you are ready to head out on your trip. Shame we are going opposite directions. If you want to grab a beer and talk bikes and traveling, I would be game.

You have about 10,000km more experience than I did when I set off.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 700
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #26
jorrizza
newb

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightup View Post
I should be passing through your area right as you are ready to head out on your trip. Shame we are going opposite directions. If you want to grab a beer and talk bikes and traveling, I would be game.
How did you know about my plans for this year? Haha! I'll be heading south for a month or so next September, so there's plenty of time for a beer when you're passing through the Netherlands.
jorrizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
KLF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightup View Post
He raises my passport up, looks at it, looks at me, and a large smile starts to cross his face. He makes the a hand motion that looks like stroking a mustache and comments on my passport picture. Which had a mediocre stache that I no longer had. He prods the girl behind him and shows it off, she laughs as well. What ever helps get me across the border at this point
Ah, that reminds me about a funny thing a long, long time ago in a faraway galaxy. We were on a class trip in Rome, arrived at the airport and had our passports checked (this was before EU, 1991 I think). My good friend had a 10 year passport with a picture taken 10 years ago... In it he was 6 with blond shoulder length hair. Now he was 16 with still long blond hair but "tall forehead" like Klaus Meine of Scorpions... My friend's Grumpy the Cat impression was pretty good, even if we didn't know back then what was internet nor a meme... 22 years later I still don't dare to bring that up with him ;)

Back to the topic: Welcome to Finland, fill your tank before crossing the border and enjoy the scenery :) I'm located in the southwest tip, so unless you are planning to take overnight ferry to Stockholm Sweden you will avoid this corner of the country.

Riding to the north (be it Finland, Sweden or Norway) would be best around midsummer, the sun won't go down at all then. North Cape is probably one of those places you might want to say "been there".
KLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,140
NICE.

If you should come by Denmark(Jutland- western part) Just PM or mail me. Free room, free food, free beers.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards
Mikael

Old 05-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,098
Good show

Another subscriber reporting for
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #30
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorrizza View Post
How did you know about my plans for this year? Haha! I'll be heading south for a month or so next September, so there's plenty of time for a beer when you're passing through the Netherlands.

You have a thread about traveling through Europe and Scandinavia right? I read it lol. Or maybe I just didn't look at the dates close enough and the trip has already happened or is farther in the future than I thought.