ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #196
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
thats great! Now if we could get some decent weather

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #197
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
The Roxy Report

Just posted a few pics from a recent ride where I caught about 11 miles of the OAT, east of Keystone Lake. Thanks for your work on the tracks!

Frog Rock Ride

Happy Riding!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #198
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Riding Eastern half in JUNE

A couple of inmates and I are going to ride the Oklahoma Adventure Trail on June 14th, 15th and 16th (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

The goal is to try and ride the eastern half of the trail, until we have to head home to go to work on Monday.

Will be camping along the way, but because i don't know where we will be at the end of the day, I can't say where… but Oklahoma has no shortage of state parks.
We will ride at a steady pace not racing, i don't think the roads will be challenging except maybe in the far eastern section…
Will probably just eat out of stores or restaurants, but you are welcome to do what ever… a person could probably even stay in a hotel and meet up in the morning…

The plan is to meet at Lake McMurtry at the campgrounds on the west side of the lake Thursday evening after work or Friday morning if you live near by. Then we will hit the section starting at Perry and work our way east.

EVERY ONE is welcome to come along…

We will ride at a steady pace not racing, i don't think the roads will be challenging except maybe in the far eastern section…

Oklahoma Adventure Trail Link

Who all is coming?

Originally posted this in the OKC Metro Thread, might want to reply there. (Post 908)

If you have any questions PM me…

Also, if you can't start on Friday, you can always meet up with us on which ever day you can.
Dadayama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #199
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
Great to see a group heading out. Good luck. I know you will be in a hurry, but stop and take pictures whenever you can.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #200
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
Great to see a group heading out. Good luck. I know you will be in a hurry, but stop and take pictures whenever you can.
Went to a party out in the country this weekend... out east of Stillwater by Glenco...

anyway... on the way there i crossed over the OAT and drove the river road down by the Graffiti Wall.... looked like a fun road, people camping and fishing. Can't wait until June...
Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #201
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Wynnewood Reroute?

Hi folks. I been lurking and following the development of this route. I grew up near Wynnewood, Ok. Been looking for a chance to get back home and ride this route.

I do have a suggestion in the Wynnewood area. The current route does go through some nice scenic areas through the Arbuckle Mountains area south of Davis. But I am pretty sure most of that is pavement. Very nice pavement, yes.

I have mapped out a route that I think would keep you mostly on gravel through that section though, attached. From Wynnewood to the east, I know this section winds through a nice hilly section that is mainly gravel. The very southern part that links back up with the current route that is labeled as a ranch road, I am not sure of. Don't think I ever been down that road.

I think this route might be worth checking out.

Also, if I were to ride the section near Talimena, I would definitely ride the Kiamichi Trail (Ktrail). It is not big bike friendly though. I have ridden it from Indian Highway toward the east on a KLR (with no luggage) and made if fine. But the roughest section is between Indian Highway and Clayton. I understand it is easier to ride going east to west (rather than from Clayton east) since the really rough sections are down hill. Since I am on a WR259R now, I would certainly do Ktrail if I were to ride the OAT. But I might take a day off to ride it without carrying luggage.

Just my 2 cents worth of input.

This is a great effort! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this route together.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Wynnewood Mod.gpx (65.5 KB, 37 views)
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #202
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

i'll check out the section you posted up when i get a chance. The k trail was originally put on the OAT, but was later removed because of gates. Access to the trail has been getting more and more limited with hunting areas. Also I have been trying to keep the trail as "big bike friendly" as possible. I think that if we could find a way through that area to include the k trail i would like to add it to the map, but have a big bike go around. That way people would have a choice on the route and more would be included.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #203
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks OKLr. If I get back home any time soon, I will also check out that section I suggested.

Last I heard, you have to use the Clayton Trail to access the Ktrail on the west end. But it has been 3 years since I been up there. So it could have changed by now. Sure would be nice to know if there is still some sort of access on that west end.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #204
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheet2 View Post
Thanks OKLr. If I get back home any time soon, I will also check out that section I suggested.

Last I heard, you have to use the Clayton Trail to access the Ktrail on the west end. But it has been 3 years since I been up there. So it could have changed by now. Sure would be nice to know if there is still some sort of access on that west end.
where are you at now?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #205
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,722
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Went to a party out in the country this weekend... out east of Stillwater by Glenco...

anyway... on the way there i crossed over the OAT and drove the river road down by the Graffiti Wall.... looked like a fun road, people camping and fishing. Can't wait until June...

Did you see tire tracks from a Dr650 and a Kle650?

Me and stepson rode it Saturday!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #206
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheet2 View Post
Hi folks. I been lurking and following the development of this route. I grew up near Wynnewood, Ok. Been looking for a chance to get back home and ride this route.

I do have a suggestion in the Wynnewood area. The current route does go through some nice scenic areas through the Arbuckle Mountains area south of Davis. But I am pretty sure most of that is pavement. Very nice pavement, yes.

I have mapped out a route that I think would keep you mostly on gravel through that section though, attached. From Wynnewood to the east, I know this section winds through a nice hilly section that is mainly gravel. The very southern part that links back up with the current route that is labeled as a ranch road, I am not sure of. Don't think I ever been down that road.

I think this route might be worth checking out.

Also, if I were to ride the section near Talimena, I would definitely ride the Kiamichi Trail (Ktrail). It is not big bike friendly though. I have ridden it from Indian Highway toward the east on a KLR (with no luggage) and made if fine. But the roughest section is between Indian Highway and Clayton. I understand it is easier to ride going east to west (rather than from Clayton east) since the really rough sections are down hill. Since I am on a WR259R now, I would certainly do Ktrail if I were to ride the OAT. But I might take a day off to ride it without carrying luggage.

Just my 2 cents worth of input.

This is a great effort! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this route together.

As far as the route goes... You should be able to carry all your gear to make the whole trip... this would be along the lines of the Trans American Trail or the Continental Divide Route. etc.... big bike friendly is subjective...

We plan on scouting as much this spring and summer as we can... we need everyone's help... especially locals... as OKLR stated, this is a living road open to growth...
Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #207
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtjoe View Post
Did you see tire tracks from a Dr650 and a Kle650?

Me and stepson rode it Saturday!!!
Dear RedDirtJoe....

I just can't wait to go on this trip... really wish OKLR would come along...

I'll see you in June for sure...
Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #208
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

June Ride...

Some of the OKC metro folks are going to meet up... this Tuesday...

INFO LINK

I have routed the route in a DeLorme map... as well as OK state map... i'll bring them with me... we will most likely talk about the trip some...

Looks like we may have 5 or 6 going so far... i'd like to see even more...

I know there are some other states eyeballing this thread thinking of doing something similar... which is really exciting...

Lets get some okies out riding this...!!! only a couple of folks have done it so far...

See you all in June...
Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #209
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
where are you at now?

Houston
Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #210
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Dear RedDirtJoe....

I just can't wait to go on this trip... really wish OKLR would come along...

I'll see you in June for sure...
I would love to, but things are complicated right now. I have family coming in that week from california, sons birthday party, money. you know the regular stuff. Trust me i will be doing this trail, or the hunks of it soon.