Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #46
stanchik OP
XF650 Rider

Oddometer: 24
Thats a bummer. I just spent $330Aud on the Hepco Set. Has anyone come across a non Hepco and Becker set of crash bars as my H & B ones keep cracking on the lower mounting plates and the last time I tested them :-) they came dangerosly close to ripping the oil cooler off the mounts a good 300km from anywhere. (Road tires on moss is never a good combination)
Other than that my Freewind has now 130,000km on it and is still running great. 100% reliable.
stanchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #47
Bob808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Hello everyone

A good friend of mine has a XF650 Freewind. I am helping with the rebuild. He bought it in a bad shape and we're almost there. Only problem we have is with the rear shock. Seems like it's ... empty. Almost no shock action, seems like only the spring is there...almost. I was thinking that maybe the pressure from the rear shock is gone? If so we have some shops here that can refill but I don't know the pressure. I have a DR650SE and I found out that it's about 9.6 atm for me but no idea for the Freewind. Is there any value that would be safe or do they differ by large margin from model to model?
Also there may not be any oil left so I'll need to replace the seal head and put fresh oil. I saw a how-to for DR650 but since the Freewind has different rear shock it would be nice to research a bit on this matter. There is virtually no info on the entire internet on the rear shock for this model. I only saw a post from someone in Australia stating that he had blown the rear seal three times and he bought All Balls seal head for DR650 and it fits but I'd like to hear some more opinions ....after all, it blew out two more times after he put the all balls seal Also it would help if someone knows if Suzuki used this particular shock in some other model that was sold more widely than the Freewind.
Bob808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #48
afk40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
hi guys,, im just about to take on a freewind, but Im tall 1.93m an i need to get the seat altered to the same level as the rear pillion, so its a straight level seat kinda thing.. any ideas of who would do this .. im in Sunny Scotland uk....cheers

the xf has 48k miles on it,, i know this is high, but its high as the guy done an alaskian trip onit... have i anything to fear with the engine as the miles are so high,, its in good condition all round..so id say it hasnt been abused, an i take it someones serviced it regular fur it to have that mileage in teh first place... it is a japanese engine.. what kind o mileages are these capable of.. do ye know.... cheers
afk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #49
pcfpatrol
pcfpatrol

Oddometer: 67
Help needed again

Thanks for the past help here guys. It is good to have a central point to go to for advise regarding the Freewind.
My current dillema is locating suitable metal footpegs.
I can not find a listing of compatible footpegs.
Does anyone know other bikes whose pegs will fit?
I figure if I can go into my local bike shop and state another bike pegs I may have luck in getting one that fits!

On a side note, my girls and I are heading out this weekend for a test run.
The girls have to carry their own gear, camping, food, water etc, so they get a feel for how the bikes will handle loaded up.
Still not quite the same load as they will carry throughout outback NSW and South Australia but I dont want to scare them off too much too soon!!!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #50
afk40
Adventurer

hi guys,, ive got a uk FW. is the speedo odometre count it in kms or miles. it can change in the speedo for kms per hr.. or MPH.. but the counter still stays the same...??? is this normal/??...cheers
Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #51
pcfpatrol
pcfpatrol

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfpatrol View Post
My current dillema is locating suitable metal footpegs.
I can not find a listing of compatible footpegs.
Does anyone know other bikes whose pegs will fit?
I figure if I can go into my local bike shop and state another bike pegs I may have luck in getting one that fits!
Hello again fellow Freewind inmates.
Well I am still struggling to get help here.
Any ideas about footpegs from other bikes that wil fit the Freewind?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #52
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Cool bikes everywhere but north america

I can't believe all the cool bikes that are available all over the world, except for North America.

I've never heard of a Freewind before, but it looks awesome. Then there the KLE500, the Yamaha XT660 the list goes on and on.

Why don't they bring these bikes to NA? Is it because of American's love of the cruiser?
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #53
afk40
Adventurer

hmnnn
Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #54
raducanescovan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
i also have a suzuki freewind from 1998
this winter, i changed the front end with a moto cross fork - Honda CR250 R , with a 21" wheel, of course
now, i'm doing 60 mph on country roads...like a boss

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
raducanescovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #55
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Still in Production?

I was curious if the Free Wind is still in production? Can anyone list the basic differences between Free Wind and DR650? I've heard some are Dual Carb, some single carb. Also, in the pics I see a radiator ... is that the oil cooler?

I seems Suzuki have assembly plants in Colombia, S. America now. The pic below is from Ecuador, which gets both the Free Wind and the DR650.
These are NEW Police bikes. Pic is from 2 years ago.
Any comments?

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #56
MRMIGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Freewind

Glad to know there is interest in this nice bike.

ADV Grifter - Pic you posted is from Colombia, not Ecuador. These are the highway patrol bikes used here.

Colombian production of the XF650 ceased about seven years ago. There are still quite a few around. DR650 production continues.

Differences between the two bike models:

Cylinder head (for a twin carb configuration)
Frame - though similar, the XF has a longer wheel base and the engine struts were modified to accomodate the twin carbs.
Front wheel - 19 ", different hub and braking configuration

Radiator - oil/air rad, in a horizontal mounting

Other differences include a 4.9 gal tank ( std), much cushier seat, digital speedo and fuel instrument panel, centre stand, and a few other minor details.

Will try and look in more detail at mine to see what other diff.s I can spot.

Cheers.
MRMIGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #57
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMIGS View Post
Glad to know there is interest in this nice bike.

ADV Grifter - Pic you posted is from Colombia, not Ecuador. These are the highway patrol bikes used here.

Colombian production of the XF650 ceased about seven years ago. There are still quite a few around. DR650 production continues.

Differences between the two bike models:

Cylinder head (for a twin carb configuration)
Frame - though similar, the XF has a longer wheel base and the engine struts were modified to accomodate the twin carbs.
Front wheel - 19 ", different hub and braking configuration

Radiator - oil/air rad, in a horizontal mounting

Other differences include a 4.9 gal tank ( std), much cushier seat, digital speedo and fuel instrument panel, centre stand, and a few other minor details.

Will try and look in more detail at mine to see what other diff.s I can spot.

Cheers.
Thanks for the useful details about the FreeWind Migs. I got that pic from a ride report a while back. I thought the OP said Ecuador ... but you would know the truth! Thanks for the clarification!

These are very cool bikes. I guess the Police bikes pictured are NOT NEW if production ceased 7 years ago? ... maybe the ones in the pic are just in for service? They look in pretty good shape.

I wonder if Suzuki are producing the FreeWind anywhere in the world now? Any ideas on that? Anyone?

Any idea how much a used FreeWind would sell for in Colombia? I know bikes are generally expensive there. But I thought of buying one there rather than shipping my DR650 over. What do you think? I was thinking of flying it over from Miami ... but not so cheap.

I've visited Colombia twice before ... decades ago and never on a bike. I have seen so many fantastic ride reports here on ADV about Colombia, I can't wait to return and explore.

!Gracias por todo!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #58
gzr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hello

Hello fellow Freewind Riders!

I just found out about this thread and wanted to say hi!

This is my bike.
gzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #59
volvox12
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello everybody!!

That's my first message here. I'm volvox12, from Barcelona, and I'm one 1997 Freewind owner too. I also have a brand new Honda CRF250L, but that's another story...

Here's a pic of my Freewind.

See you on the road!!!
volvox12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #60
volvox12
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfpatrol View Post
Hello again fellow Freewind inmates.
Well I am still struggling to get help here.
Any ideas about footpegs from other bikes that wil fit the Freewind?
Hi!! two months ago I had, as you, problems with the footpegs. I couldn't find nothing similar that would fit on the FW (these footpegs are quite rare I presume). Finally I went to Suzuki to find them (and of course, I had to pay a bit more..).

Cheers!!
volvox12 is offline   Reply With Quote