Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #91
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Don't take this the wrong way, because being a bike whore myself, I definitely feel the need to buy/sell.

But why do you do some bikes multiple times. There are so many out there I don't understand why you would do the bike again, esp if you kept it for such a short time last time.

On a side note, I just got my first scooter after owning tons of bikes.
A Zuma 125
Old 05-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #92
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
But why do you do some bikes multiple times.
On a side note, I just got my first scooter after owning tons of bikes.
A Zuma 125
A couple of reasons.

1. Over the years my riding has changed. For instance some years I've done longer trips and found scoots like the Silverwing worked well. Once a trip was completed and no long trips were planned for a while, I'd sell the Swing and get something else, usually smaller.

2. I get bored. Even if I like a scoot, I might still want to sell it and ride something else. Then, at a later time I might get bored again and sell what I have and buy a model I had before because I feel like riding that model again.

3. If I come across a good deal I might buy something intending to ride it a short time then sell, even if I had that model before and didn't like it.

4. Low maintenance costs. Tho' I've owned a number of Silverwings, I've paid for almost no dealer maintenance or even tires since I tend to buy low mileage scoots and sell before scheduled work is needed. ( I do oil changes and minor stuff myself).

Congrats on your new scoot. You are gonna love scootin' !
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #93
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I wish Honda would update the silver wing.. It's a great scoot but getting a little long in the tooth.. At least improve the suspension.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #94
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

96 Helix sold today.

I saw the CTX last week and it just doesn't do it for me.

That leaves the Forza to see when it comes out.

I might pick up a Reflex or Helix if I can find a 2006/2007 in very good shape or a late model Burgman 400. This would be to tide me over until the Forza hits the used market so I don't have to spring for a new one.

Till the, the Sport City is a nice scoot to ride and enjoy.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #95
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
How does sales tax work in NC? Do you get hit with taxes and registration fees everything you buy and sell?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #96
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

We pay title, registration and a highway use tax. No sales tax.

It generally seems to run between $100-200 per bike. I often am able to make that up if I buy at a good price.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #97
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Picked up a 2010 Vespa 300 yesterday. I'm sure this one will be wobbly too. However, the red Vespas are just so damn pretty I can't resist them.

Guy who sold it owns a BMW Scooter and one of those 3 wheel Spyder bikes.

Told me he's had 34 BMWs, 20 scooters and 2 Gold Wings plus other bikes he couldn't recall! Definitely my kind of guy!
Old 06-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #98
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Pics?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #99
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Still raining here so had to take a pic in the garage.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #100
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Sport City 250 sold.

Nice bike, bit too tall for me. Vespa still for sale. Hoping Forza is a good fit for me.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #101
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Hey Jersey, I relate to you. I buy and sell bikes, scoots and cages about as frequently as you. I do so for some of the same reasons. I get bored, my circumstances change, I see a good deal and can't resist snapping it up. I have made a few bucks, sometimes I break even or lose a little. Variety is the spice of life. Just as some people need to find new roads, some of us need to find new wheels. I have three kids so I need a vehicle that can haul my kids and their friends and our trailer, so I have a used 8-passenger Sienna. My wife drives this more than I do. I bought a '99 MX-5 Miata a few years ago that I drive from April to November and I got me a used Camry as my winter beater. Bike wise I have an '82 Passport that you've probably seen in other threads and a Ruckus. My wife uses the Ruckus for in-town rides with me. I keep it by my front door and use it for quick runs to the corner store. It's so slow but for $700 I couldn't resist. I had another C70, an '83 that I sold to a friend in November for what I paid for it. Tempted to buy it back. I also had an '85 Aero 80 that I picked up for $400, then sold it six months later for $800. I miss that scoot because I like 2 strokes, it was super peppy, it was comfy, had a huge floorboard. Dumb move, I should've kept it. I also had a BWS/Zuma 50 for a couple of years. Fun little 2 stroke, great storage and fuel economy but like the Ruckus, too slow. And I hated the seat and cramped floorboard. Before that I had an '85 Honda Elite 250. Paid $600 for it, rode it 5 years and sold it for $700. In between these scoots, I had a Honda VLX 600 Shadow, a Kawasaki KLX250SF. I loved both of those bikes for different reasons but again got bored, had to move on. I have thought about getting a PCX150 new, by selling the Ruck and financing the difference. I have thought about picking up a used Silverwing, Majesty, Burgman or Reflex ... or a Helix. I seriously considered an '80 Vespa PX200 with a sidecar. I came close to snagging a C3 for cheap this summer. My niece has a 2009 Ninja250 that I use whenever I want, I just trade her my Miata for days that I want to ride with my old bike buddy. It's all part of the fun: riding, dreaming, scheming, buying, selling and repeating. I also get a kick out of riding HD's, Hondas and BMW's every time they offer a demo day. This year I've taken a BMW C600 for a lengthy (one hour) scoot, a 2013 GoldWing for a lengthy scoot, and one of the new 500cc Honda sport bikes. The more bikes and scoots I ride, the merrier I am. At the end of the day though, I love my humble little Passport: it is light, flickable, comfy (with the flat seat), ergonomically ideal for me, it gets me compliments/looks/thumbs up/hand shakes every time I ride, it is reliable, cheap to maintain and it makes me smile.

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and experiences. I look forward to what comes next.
klx250sfguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #102
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Thanks for the post. Sounds like you are having a great time changing things up. One of the few who seem to understand.

Funny thing. As I walked into the house after the sale, my wife said "so, what's next?" Lol. Really love that woman!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #103
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
I should not even be asking this but, just how clean is that Vespa?
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #104
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
When I change or add a bike to the collection my wife always asks are you happy now and my reply is always, for a day or so.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #105
JerseyBiker OP
Living the life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
I should not even be asking this but, just how clean is that Vespa?
Super clean. No dings or dents. Paint excellent. One tiny scratch about 1/4" near headlight. Maybe a rock or something.