ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
lewismedlock OP
.
 
lewismedlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bow and Arrow OK.
Oddometer: 12,818
They've upped to boost for the 500, resulting in an additional 40 to 50 hp. Will Power ran a lap at just under 230.

The pre-race flyover will be 5 T-6 Texans and a B-25.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #32
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,845
I hope Honda does a better job with their F1 engine than they've done in the new IndyCar format. Best car in Indy qualifying is 11th. Really poor.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #33
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,178
4 chicks on the grid, they probably owe Danica a little 'thank you' for the attention she brought there.
I hope one day she races it again, she usually did fairly well there.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #34
lewismedlock OP
.
 
lewismedlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bow and Arrow OK.
Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I hope Honda does a better job with their F1 engine than they've done in the new IndyCar format. Best car in Indy qualifying is 11th. Really poor.
They are doing better in practice. Six out of the top ten are Honda powered.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #35
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,845
Indy Lights race at Indy. Last lap.

They're two wide. No, they're three wide. Wait, they're four wide. Hold on, they're...

Wow.


__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #36
lewismedlock OP
.
 
lewismedlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bow and Arrow OK.
Oddometer: 12,818
Great race. Gongrats to TK!

68 lead changes, 14 different leaders, and a record average speed.

lewismedlock screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 12:44 PM
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #37
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
Great race. Gongrats to TK!

68 lead changes, 14 different leaders, and a record average speed.

Fantastic race, maybe the best I've ever watched!!

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer
 
pbarmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Great Black Swamp
Oddometer: 1,818
Groovy,Kudo's to T.K.
__________________
"Nostalgia ain't what it once was"
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #39
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!
 
Motorcyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Madison, CT
Oddometer: 3,309
I was there, the leaders (a number of them) were swapping the lead at will throughout the race. When TK would take the lead, the roar from the crowd was enormous.

A great race. Since the new car has been introduced, both Indy 500's have been excellent races. Hopefully IndyCar can parlay that into increased attention and attendance for the entire series.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #40
lewismedlock OP
.
 
lewismedlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bow and Arrow OK.
Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
I was there, the leaders (a number of them) were swapping the lead at will throughout the race. When TK would take the lead, the roar from the crowd was enormous.


Copy and paste to follow.

"Nine years ago at the Indianapolis 500, Kanaan learned of the plight of a girl called Andrea Brown, who was in Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, preparing for a life or death brain operation.Kanaan - then the IndyCar champion and multiple race winner - visited her at her hospital bedside and gave her his good luck charm, a small medallion he always carried with him during races, telling her it would bring her good luck during her operation.
Young Andrea's operation was a success, and nine years later, aged 24, she heard about Kanaan's luckless run at Indianapolis and sent the lucky medal back to Kanaan via overnight mail so it reached him at the circuit in time for the race. The arrival of the medal caused Kanaan to burst into tears. The message was simple: "Here's your good luck charm back. You take it and win the Indianapolis 500".
And Kanaan, with that lucky medal safely tucked away inside a pocket in his race suit, went on and did just that, capping off a remarkable story at the end of a remarkable motor race."
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #41
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,845
Jeez, I'm kinda surprised y'all enjoyed it so much. Obviously a crazy number of lead changes. But it was pack racing, basically, one draft pass after another.

When lead changes are as common as pennies, they lose their value. Kanaan got a lucky break when Franchitti wrecked. Otherwise, one of four or five other guys might be the champ, based on who was in the best position to slingshot for the lead. That doesn't feel very special. I guess I'm the contrarian here?
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #42
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!
 
Motorcyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Madison, CT
Oddometer: 3,309
Indy is always going to be pack racing. It is difficult to run side by side through the corners at that speed, and then you factor in those with the best set-up and it limits who can run at the front. The case this year is that there were probably 10 cars with a legitimate shot to win the race, and the lead pack was often 6-8 cars at any one time. There was a lot of racing within the packs as well, and all day drivers were getting shuffled back, then having to make their way back up the order.

Had it gone green to the end there is no telling who would have won, but TK ran up front all day and if it had to end under caution, I'm glad he was the guy in the lead.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #43
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer
 
pbarmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Great Black Swamp
Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Jeez, I'm kinda surprised y'all enjoyed it so much. Obviously a crazy number of lead changes. But it was pack racing, basically, one draft pass after another.

When lead changes are as common as pennies, they lose their value. Kanaan got a lucky break when Franchitti wrecked. Otherwise, one of four or five other guys might be the champ, based on who was in the best position to slingshot for the lead. That doesn't feel very special. I guess I'm the contrarian here?
Would you rather a F1 follow the leader with no passing?What is your definition of a race?
__________________
"Nostalgia ain't what it once was"
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #44
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Indy is always going to be pack racing. It is difficult to run side by side through the corners at that speed, and then you factor in those with the best set-up and it limits who can run at the front. The case this year is that there were probably 10 cars with a legitimate shot to win the race, and the lead pack was often 6-8 cars at any one time. There was a lot of racing within the packs as well, and all day drivers were getting shuffled back, then having to make their way back up the order.

Had it gone green to the end there is no telling who would have won, but TK ran up front all day and if it had to end under caution, I'm glad he was the guy in the lead.
I have a shaky memory but I don't remember a race like this one. Typically a fast car is able to pull away, before yellows bunch the field again.

This time they all stayed in touch, swapping places every lap. As I said, when passing is this cheap, it doesn't really feel like racing.

I assume it's the new formula, although I don't remember last year being this bad. It stretches credulity to believe that so many teams prepared cars with identical performance. I'm not sure if IndyCar thinks it's a problem or not. We'll see, I guess.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #45
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!
 
Motorcyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Madison, CT
Oddometer: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I have a shaky memory but I don't remember a race like this one. Typically a fast car is able to pull away, before yellows bunch the field again.

This time they all stayed in touch, swapping places every lap. As I said, when passing is this cheap, it doesn't really feel like racing.

I assume it's the new formula, although I don't remember last year being this bad. It stretches credulity to believe that so many teams prepared cars with identical performance. I'm not sure if IndyCar thinks it's a problem or not. We'll see, I guess.
Judging by the fans reaction, I don't think anyone at IMS will see it as a problem.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014