ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
lewismedlock OP

Oddometer: 12,818
They've upped to boost for the 500, resulting in an additional 40 to 50 hp. Will Power ran a lap at just under 230.

The pre-race flyover will be 5 T-6 Texans and a B-25.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #32
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,845
I hope Honda does a better job with their F1 engine than they've done in the new IndyCar format. Best car in Indy qualifying is 11th. Really poor.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #33
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,178
4 chicks on the grid, they probably owe Danica a little 'thank you' for the attention she brought there.
I hope one day she races it again, she usually did fairly well there.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #34
lewismedlock OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I hope Honda does a better job with their F1 engine than they've done in the new IndyCar format. Best car in Indy qualifying is 11th. Really poor.
They are doing better in practice. Six out of the top ten are Honda powered.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #35
wxwax
Excited Member

Indy Lights race at Indy. Last lap.

They're two wide. No, they're three wide. Wait, they're four wide. Hold on, they're...

Wow.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #36
lewismedlock OP

Great race. Gongrats to TK!

68 lead changes, 14 different leaders, and a record average speed.

lewismedlock screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 12:44 PM
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #37
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
Great race. Gongrats to TK!

68 lead changes, 14 different leaders, and a record average speed.

Fantastic race, maybe the best I've ever watched!!

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Groovy,Kudo's to T.K.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #39
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,309
I was there, the leaders (a number of them) were swapping the lead at will throughout the race. When TK would take the lead, the roar from the crowd was enormous.

A great race. Since the new car has been introduced, both Indy 500's have been excellent races. Hopefully IndyCar can parlay that into increased attention and attendance for the entire series.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #40
lewismedlock OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
I was there, the leaders (a number of them) were swapping the lead at will throughout the race. When TK would take the lead, the roar from the crowd was enormous.

Copy and paste to follow.

"Nine years ago at the Indianapolis 500, Kanaan learned of the plight of a girl called Andrea Brown, who was in Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, preparing for a life or death brain operation.Kanaan - then the IndyCar champion and multiple race winner - visited her at her hospital bedside and gave her his good luck charm, a small medallion he always carried with him during races, telling her it would bring her good luck during her operation.
Young Andrea's operation was a success, and nine years later, aged 24, she heard about Kanaan's luckless run at Indianapolis and sent the lucky medal back to Kanaan via overnight mail so it reached him at the circuit in time for the race. The arrival of the medal caused Kanaan to burst into tears. The message was simple: "Here's your good luck charm back. You take it and win the Indianapolis 500".
And Kanaan, with that lucky medal safely tucked away inside a pocket in his race suit, went on and did just that, capping off a remarkable story at the end of a remarkable motor race."
Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #41
wxwax
Excited Member

Jeez, I'm kinda surprised y'all enjoyed it so much. Obviously a crazy number of lead changes. But it was pack racing, basically, one draft pass after another.

When lead changes are as common as pennies, they lose their value. Kanaan got a lucky break when Franchitti wrecked. Otherwise, one of four or five other guys might be the champ, based on who was in the best position to slingshot for the lead. That doesn't feel very special. I guess I'm the contrarian here?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #42
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Indy is always going to be pack racing. It is difficult to run side by side through the corners at that speed, and then you factor in those with the best set-up and it limits who can run at the front. The case this year is that there were probably 10 cars with a legitimate shot to win the race, and the lead pack was often 6-8 cars at any one time. There was a lot of racing within the packs as well, and all day drivers were getting shuffled back, then having to make their way back up the order.

Had it gone green to the end there is no telling who would have won, but TK ran up front all day and if it had to end under caution, I'm glad he was the guy in the lead.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #43
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Jeez, I'm kinda surprised y'all enjoyed it so much. Obviously a crazy number of lead changes. But it was pack racing, basically, one draft pass after another.

When lead changes are as common as pennies, they lose their value. Kanaan got a lucky break when Franchitti wrecked. Otherwise, one of four or five other guys might be the champ, based on who was in the best position to slingshot for the lead. That doesn't feel very special. I guess I'm the contrarian here?
Would you rather a F1 follow the leader with no passing?What is your definition of a race?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #44
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Indy is always going to be pack racing. It is difficult to run side by side through the corners at that speed, and then you factor in those with the best set-up and it limits who can run at the front. The case this year is that there were probably 10 cars with a legitimate shot to win the race, and the lead pack was often 6-8 cars at any one time. There was a lot of racing within the packs as well, and all day drivers were getting shuffled back, then having to make their way back up the order.

Had it gone green to the end there is no telling who would have won, but TK ran up front all day and if it had to end under caution, I'm glad he was the guy in the lead.
I have a shaky memory but I don't remember a race like this one. Typically a fast car is able to pull away, before yellows bunch the field again.

This time they all stayed in touch, swapping places every lap. As I said, when passing is this cheap, it doesn't really feel like racing.

I assume it's the new formula, although I don't remember last year being this bad. It stretches credulity to believe that so many teams prepared cars with identical performance. I'm not sure if IndyCar thinks it's a problem or not. We'll see, I guess.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #45
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Quote:
I have a shaky memory but I don't remember a race like this one. Typically a fast car is able to pull away, before yellows bunch the field again.

This time they all stayed in touch, swapping places every lap. As I said, when passing is this cheap, it doesn't really feel like racing.

I assume it's the new formula, although I don't remember last year being this bad. It stretches credulity to believe that so many teams prepared cars with identical performance. I'm not sure if IndyCar thinks it's a problem or not. We'll see, I guess.
Judging by the fans reaction, I don't think anyone at IMS will see it as a problem.