User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
wee-twin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Honda elite 80 or 150?

Honda elite 150 would be about 1985, so old,liquid cooled so more things to fail or maintain, but more power. Elite 80 would be newer. There is a 2002 80 with less than 400 miles I have a Leed on. I have a motorcycle, but scooter would be for going to train station, around town. We have hills in town and I weigh about 185. I am just concerned the 80 will not have enough pickup. Help me decide. Unlike motorcycles, I would like to pick the right one once. Thanks.
wee-twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
hi man, well how big are the hills? how common? I am your weight and have a 100 cc scooter and find it ok for around town. The several hills that I do have to do are big (incline) but there is no aggressive traffic so it does not matter.

IF that is not a problem for you, I would go with the 80, if you must maintain a certain speed, then the 150

Damasovi
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by wee-twin View Post
scooter would be for going to train station
Keep it simple and somewhat theft expendable . . China 125/150cc air-cooled GY6 scoot with typical AC-CDI for backup kick starts. Peruse Craigslist for a used Znen.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
All depend on where a scooter kept . 5 year old one can be toast will someone being storing a 1950 scooter for 60 years for no reason is a warm garage. the 60 year old one might be as good as the 5 year old one. Your elite , Both cost around the same but the 150 is faster. Really get down to what you doing with you scooter. What going to bring the most peace of mind ? newer or older? Nether one lacks parts. If you don't do your own work then go with the 80 because you less likely to have a dealer go it s old and I m not working on that . Seem to be the cut off is 10 years now.

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 10:18 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
wee-twin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Appreciate the ideas. By train station I have a friends house I can park a bike, but not a car so thieft,vandilism is not a concern. I do all my own mechanics so only time dealer ever sees my bike is for inspection. I am leaning towards the 150. Picture housewives in SUV on cellphone so a bit extra acceleration would be good. With my motorcycles, I prefer twisty backroads at about 45mph so i think the 150 scooter would be a lot of fun. For some reason I prefer the non-deluxe version. As far as I can tell, the deluxe has the hidden headlight and the digital dash which both are possible things to fail or cause trouble. Am I missing something else about the deluxe compared to the standard?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
By train station I have a friends house I can park a bike, but not a car so thieft,vandilism is not a concern.
Include a used Kymco Super 8 150 in your research . . 14" wheels for less twitchy steering compared to 10", front disc brake for better stopping, probably a lot less maintenance compared to an over 25 year old liquid cooled engine. There is often a cost-versus-aggravation dilemma, and only you can make that determination.

tortoise2 screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 01:15 PM
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Appreciate the ideas. By train station I have a friends house I can park a bike, but not a car so thieft,vandilism is not a concern. I do all my own mechanics so only time dealer ever sees my bike is for inspection. I am leaning towards the 150. Picture housewives in SUV on cellphone so a bit extra acceleration would be good. With my motorcycles, I prefer twisty backroads at about 45mph so i think the 150 scooter would be a lot of fun. For some reason I prefer the non-deluxe version. As far as I can tell, the deluxe has the hidden headlight and the digital dash which both are possible things to fail or cause trouble. Am I missing something else about the deluxe compared to the standard?

If cash isn't any issue then consider finding a honda pcx 125 . 2 -2500 buys you one. 2800 bucks a new old stock one. Far better then gas mileage and they ll do the twist nicely .
Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Waterdog16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
80 vs 150

I have owned an elite 80 and currently a 1987 elite 150. 80 will not do over 42-45 mph( I weigh 190.) 150 I commute 27 miles each way. regularly see 60+ mph. 76 mpg on the 150. Age wouldn't scare me away, unless motor oil looks like sludge. I would opt for the 150, way more versatile.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I have owned both the 80 and the 150. There's a reason the 80's have such low miles on them. Not alot of power and really only suited to in town. The elite 150 will easily cruise all day lomg at 50+. Tops out at 65. Just a great bike. I would put it up against any modern scoot today. Thinking about selling mine, only because I bought a bike and simply ran outta room.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,386
The Elite 80 is very little faster than a 50cc. Tops out just over 40 mph GPS. Speedometer will show 45-46, but is not accurate. But it's main problem is it's super slow acceleration. Can get you killed in town where there is much faster traffic behind you. I have no clue on the 150. It is an older design engine. Probably about 50-55 mph top speed with much faster acceleration. Both my Vino 125 and Zuma 125 keep up with city traffic easily, though the Zuma out accelerates it by a noticeable amount.

I myself would not buy anything under 125cc for in town use, unless you live in a very small town. I weigh 225, and anything smaller is downright dangerous around here.

Also I would buy what fits my situation especially if I planned on using it for commuting, and was going to park it outside. Those old Japanese scooters were very high quality, but by now may need a lot of repairs, and parts are hard to impossible to come by. I would be tempted to buy a new Chinese 150 scooter, fix all the little problems they come with, and seriously maintain it. Parked outside, the AZ sun would likely destroy it before the mechanicals broke down.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yes, if you can afford the 150, no comparison. I have both too, I have an Elite 80 2001 I got for free but with $800 back feas, so I just rode it sometimes with the plate from the 150.

But yea, even if you a beginner, unless you live in a huge city like SF or New york or something, and don't plan to leave much on the scooter, you'll get pretty bored with the 80. The 150 was my first REAL street bike. I rode it for years, and not until I started taking extended LONG rides on the highway, did I find it underpowered. And even then, I still take it on long rides without a lot of freeway occasionaly, and have a blast!

The 150 doesn't get a whole lot less MPG than the 80. The 80 maybe 120 or so MPG, the 150 can easily get between 80 and 100 MPG, because with the 80 you'll be at WFO all the time.

Yes, if the 150 hasn't sat too much, and was treated well, it'l easily last another 25 years or more. I've seen them with 100K miles still going! That 80 may be newer, but obviously it sat a while if only 400 miles!

The 150 is perfect if you plan have a non freeway commute [or freeway if less than maybe 3 miles on the fw], backroad cruising, dirt roads [no chrome to polish!], cities, anywhere, occassional freeway rides are fine, due to the low stress motor, but it does sound like it's afixin' to blow past 55! The 150 liquid cooled motors are very well designed. They have a LOT of acceleration for they size too! They cruise BEST at 50 MPH, 55 MPH no prob, and WFO for extended times is fine.

I still have both my Elites, and have just got my 150 going again recently. I plan to comute again with it 60 miles a day thru the mountain to save gas, because my HD is a gas hog for a bike, average 30-37 MPG with the big bore and all that on that commute! The 150 will average 85+!

Don't get me wrong, the 80 is a blast around town! But once you leave town, its not best suited. It runs out of breth about 40 MPH, my 2001 will run up to about 45 MPH with no wind on flat level ground, and occasionally touch 48 MPH, but thats it.

Think of the 80 as a 50 cc with more torque, thats all it is. 50 ccs like the met or ruckus will slow down to 15-25 MPH on steep hillclimbs, while the 80 will do better around 30-36 MPH, and gives about 5-7 MPH advantage. Think of the 150 as a bike that can go on the freeway occasionally, cruise backroads all day, and haul 2 people without complaining. Depends on where you ride really.

Oh, and the 150 has a top speed reliably of 60 MPH, and without much wind with enough time will climb to 66 MPH or so, I weigh 190 and thats what I get. Confirmed with GPS, the speedo is one of VERY VERY few accurate Jap bike speedos! Thats on an 86 Elite 150 deluxe with an 87 engine, all stock other than CDI [doesn't effect top speed].

Relibility wise, mine was a hastle for a while, but it sat for years and years. Also I could have prevented a lot of things if I did some preventive bike specific stuff. If U end up with the 150, post on here and we'll tell you the specifics you should check/do for the 150.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
wee-twin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your scooter experience. After hearing everyone's input, the 150 elite is what I want. I have been watching CL for the last two weeks, time to find a nice one. Thanks for the help.

Bill
Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Eliter85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
150 is the way to go. I have an 85 that's I've put a fair amount of work into. Haven't had any issues finding odd parts. And it's been my first real mechanical project. Almost done and it's running great just working on some detail.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Good choice! I know you'll enjoy it. Don't worry, it may take some time but they'll pop up at good prices sooner or later.

The best advice I can give you though, if it sat for a LONG time, it will need some preventative maintainence and work. Don't be afraid of higher milage if it was used and didn't sit, 30,000 miles is nothing for them! But they seem to rarly have more than 20K.

And me and some other members here know the Elite 150 particularly inside out. Please ask ANY questions you have, we'd be glad to help you out.

Good luck! Let us know when you get one!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I'd buy the 150 anytime. If you get a chance at an 87, jump at it. They are mechanically similar but look very different and a lot less dated. You should assume you will take it home and take it apart, at least take off a lot of the plastic and then clean it thoroughly. They get filthy. You'll probably need new tires and a belt and maybe rollers for the variator. Service manuals are available online electronically at http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8558

The site called www.ch250.net has files called tech tips for the 250 Elite, and much is the same as the 150. Of course, if you find a 250 at the right price and condition, you should grab it.

That 80 you are looking at is interesting, and could be a good intro machine, but in the long run you are going to want a bigger engine, and a 150 or 250 is perfect. I commute on freeways in California and the 250 will keep up just fine. The 150 is a little too slow, except in traffic where it's just a big grin. In California we can lane split, so traffic jams are just a place where you ride that long narrow empty lane between rows of annoyed drivers in their $40,000 cars.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote