Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
1ar OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
From Nurenberg to Großglockner in one week

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to for the end of June - part of it is already done, but this section has too many options and I would be very grateful for your help. I'm fairly new rider (2 years) so 200-250 km per day would be enough? That would be about 1500 kilometers to burn. I was thinking maybe Schwarzwald (Thursday - not too crowded?) - German Alpine Road - ...? Where to? Through Switzerland and Italy, or some other route would be better?

Thanks for your help.
1ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ar View Post
...200-250 km per day would be enough?
In the Alps, that will make for a pleasantly busy day giving you time to stop, admire the scenery, have lunch and other touristy stuff. More than 250-300kms, and you're just riding.

I'd recommend taking 2 days to get down into the Dolomites, doing 3 overnights there based out of Arabba or Corvara in Badia and then 2 days to get home.

The Dolomites have more great riding and scenery in one small area than any place I've seen.

One advantage to home-basing is that it frees you to just ride without having to find a place to stay that night, so a longer day in the saddle becomes easier.

Late June / early July is great - the weather is generally good, everybody is open for business and the vacation crowds aren't there yet.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
1ar OP
n00b

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I'd recommend taking 2 days to get down into the Dolomites, doing 3 overnights there based out of Arabba or Corvara in Badia and then 2 days to get home.
Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for! I've been in the Alps with a car, mostly in Switzerland and France, never in Dolomites - one more reason to take this route. Your ride reports are impressive, hopefully I will be able to "borrow" some of the routes. Maybe you could give a tips/favorites/"must rides" in this area?

Quote:
One advantage to home-basing is that it frees you to just ride without having to find a place to stay that night, so a longer day in the saddle becomes easier.
Yep, I like this part as well - one less thing to worry about. Anyone have recommendations for cheap(er) hotels in there?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I can recommend this place on your travels.

http://www.pensionhausmaria.com

Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...hopefully I will be able to "borrow" some of the routes. Maybe you could give a tips/favorites/"must rides" in this area?
I based a lot of on John Hermann's book "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps & Beyond" and HIGHLY recommend getting a copy well in advance. It also packs nicely.

As far as routes go, there's about 5 busy days of riding in the area, and you're going to be there for 3. No bad choices.

There's the classic Figure 8 Pass ride out of Arabba: Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campolongo, Valparola & Falzarego. You can actually do this between Breakfast and Lunch, if you don't dwadle. BUt there are great cable car rides on both Pordoi & Falzarego and a great WWI museum on the Valparola and an 11th century castle that has been stabilized in Andraz between Falzarego and Arabba. Plus stops for picture taking.

Another busy day loop (to the south) would be: Passo Pordoi, Passo Manghen, Forcella Staulanza, Passo Broncon, Passo Cereda, Forcella Aurine, Passo Duran, Passo Staulanza, Passo Fedaia & Passo Pordoi (again)

Easterly gets you Passo Falzarego, the town of Cortina, Passo Tre Croci to Lago Misurina and the Tre Cime di Lavaredo (toll road to the top) and coming back over Passo Giau instead of Falzarego.

Quote:
Yep, I like this part as well - one less thing to worry about. Anyone have recommendations for cheap(er) hotels in there?
Try the Hotel Olympia in Arabba. I like the Evaldo, but it's not cheap.

Bottom line, there are NO bad choices. I can give you a file with the passes that I've hit in Google Earth format - PM me with your email address if you want it. I also ride tracks from my GPS from 6 trips - it's the main thing I use the GPS for - saving ride tracks to revisit and saving the location of passes and other things to remember.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 05-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
1ar OP
n00b

Quote:
I based a lot of on John Hermann's book "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps & Beyond" and HIGHLY recommend getting a copy well in advance. It also packs nicely.
It seems I'm out of luck here - out of stock in all usual (and unusual) places. Must be a really good book. John Hermann updates his Alps book every five years - hopefully I'll grab the next edition, but for my subsequent journeys only.

Quote:
Bottom line, there are NO bad choices. I can give you a file with the passes that I've hit in Google Earth format - PM me with your email address if you want it.
I'll send PM, thank you very much. You saved me a lot of time which would be spent just on browsing and head scratching otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali in Austria View Post
I can recommend this place on your travels.

http://www.pensionhausmaria.com
Seems to be the perfect place to spend the night on my way back, thanks! I'm gonna need more tips on Austrian routes, but will check out existing threads first - there were couple of them lately.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It seems I'm out of luck here - out of stock in all usual (and unusual) places. Must be a really good book.
Not quite up to the Denzel, but probably the best English language book out. I saw a copy in Ange's Gift Shop in Andermatt a few years ago!

I just looked at Whitehorse Press - nothing.

Amazon has it - but from US$900 new and used from $160!
Michael J. - IBA #3901