User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 602
Hi Kantuckid,

Bikes come and go. Sometimes you regret selling one, sometimes you're happy to wave good-bye. Best to know your mind and heart before you spend those fresh bucks.

I understand, and I'm sure many others here do, too... the timing has to be right for any bike purchase. There was a time for me when only a full-dress bike would do. A few years ago, my wife suggested a couple scooters... that didn't work for me. This time, when she suggested it, the timing was right. We've enjoyed 'em so much, I kick myself that I wasn't "ready" (or more open-minded) before.

Enjoy the hunt for the next "just right" ride!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 05-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I have a friend with an F650, gently ridden as he's now 90. I get the impression that he might sell it. Unfortunately, it's in Arizona. However, if you are at all interested, PM me and I'll get some numbers.

Ted
Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Kymco 500

This is my second one, first one was a 250R, liked it but felt I was over doing it with wife and me both.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #19
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,359
Well, I waded through the whole process of a scoot vs. a MC & bought my next ride-2012 BMW G650GS with low suspension. For those of you that want lightweight low seat height and still willing to throw a leg the BMW F650GS & BMW G650GS both come with that to offer. The Versys Kawasawki also has a low suspension option and decent performance and LOTS!!! of them for sale as a popular MC. Way better performance than the Honda 700 coming out.
Again, thanks to all that offered information to help me decide my next ride. I still hope my health holds a scoot in the future before the "unable to ride years"... Hey, I heard of a guy 90-thats what I said-90! that rides & might sell his MC like I just bought-I'm hoping to hear from him.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
The guy who is 90 owns and rides a BMW F650, a Ducati Monster (I think it's a 900), a Ducati 748r (which he says is uncomfortable to ride far), and a Honda GB 500 Tourist Trophy. He lives in Southeastern Arizona (Cochise County).

I erred when I mentioned in a PM to the OP that he was 90. He's 92.

The GB 500 is his favorite ride. I have ridden with him frequently. I'm 84 and ride a Suzuki DR 650 that's been lowered by a suspension expert.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
The guy who is 90 owns and rides a BMW F650, a Ducati Monster (I think it's a 900), a Ducati 748r (which he says is uncomfortable to ride far), and a Honda GB 500 Tourist Trophy. He lives in Southeastern Arizona (Cochise County).

I erred when I mentioned in a PM to the OP that he was 90. He's 92.

The GB 500 is his favorite ride. I have ridden with him frequently. I'm 84 and ride a Suzuki DR 650 that's been lowered by a suspension expert.
Dang kids out there terrorizing the neighborhood on them motorcycles! You kids stay off my lawn!!

Truth be told, guys like you are a shining example to us all. I was beginning to think my two-wheel fun was about done, until we bought these scooters... now, I feel like I've pressed the RESET button, and I'm raring to go again. Dang boat job 3,000 miles from my scooter got in the way... but, there are rental scooters around here. Yeah, I'll be OK for a few months.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Dang kids out there terrorizing the neighborhood on them motorcycles! You kids stay off my lawn!!

Truth be told, guys like you are a shining example to us all. I was beginning to think my two-wheel fun was about done, until we bought these scooters... now, I feel like I've pressed the RESET button, and I'm raring to go again. Dang boat job 3,000 miles from my scooter got in the way... but, there are rental scooters around here. Yeah, I'll be OK for a few months.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Sounds like you had the same neighbor lady I had, so I did donuts in her yard, headed a bull-dozer towards her house and jumped off. Luckily for me, the owner of the dozer had the sense to shut off the fuel, so it died shortly after I jumped. Thirteen was a fun year, but that ol lady Hogan was a PIA!
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #23
Houndguy
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 49
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Everything I read about the Kymco is good.

Everything.

Now...if they'd just put some STYLE in their products...

I favor the Honda/Suzuki look. Not the Vespa-With-Tupperware look. Somehow...they're not ugly; but they just don't do it for me.

I'm sure I'm not alone. With all the good reports, something is keeping them from making a bigger dent than they are in the market.
I got to be honest...I wasn't sure I wanted my current Kymco Xciting 500. After owning it for a few months I would trade it in on a Burgman in a heartbeat.

BUT...it's not the Kymco's fault. It's a very good bike and I'm surprised by its speed and agility. My biggest issue is that it doesn't have the storage that the Burgman does. My scoot is my car, I need storage.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
I got to be honest...I wasn't sure I wanted my current Kymco Xciting 500. After owning it for a few months I would trade it in on a Burgman in a heartbeat.

BUT...it's not the Kymco's fault. It's a very good bike and I'm surprised by its speed and agility. My biggest issue is that it doesn't have the storage that the Burgman does. My scoot is my car, I need storage.
You can get some extra storage with a small dufflebag and some bungee cords. Tie the duffle by the handles, to the rails around the pillion seat with the bungees. Then just use it like any luggage. Unfasten, and carry it with you when you park.

The B400 is good with luggage space; but to trade just for space...ride; consider. Make sure it doesn't cost you much. Otherwise...just remember when the time does come to trade in.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote