User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #4996
andyw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Plastics / fairing panels for sale (UK)

Apologies for the eBay link but all the details are there already.......obviously will to deal off eBay! :-O

http://search.ebay.co.uk/?sass=andyw9999&ht=-1

andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #4997
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Quick question. When you boys picked up your Multis - did you get 2 rear huggers - one large and one small?
I did too, the longer wider ugly thing (not fitted) and the standard one. UK supplied bike.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #4998
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
The lower piece is the one I call the hugger which comes on many dual sport bikes, the bike only comes with one of those...the upper fender you get two pieces, a large and small size and you get a front fender extender also.
It sounds like you mean the "possum scaper"? The part that wraps around the rear of the wheel attached to the end of the swing arm. I believe the intent of this part is to stop anything that gets stuck to the rear tire from getting thrown up under the back of the bike. I have never heard of anyone with 2 of those for a Multi. All new bikes are supposed to be delivered with 2 rear fenders, one smaller (shorter and more narrow) and the other one big (longer, wider and more squared off at the end). They are also supposed to come with the front fender rear extender. It's a black piece which is a total PITA to install. Many times I have hear of dealers not giving them to new buyers, myself included. I had to go back and demand mine.

You can see my possum scraper in the pic at the back of the rear wheel (and I have the short rear fender installed):

I have no idea what else it is called, I've only ever heard it called that by BMW GS guys.

DD
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #4999
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I use all the fenderage I can not because I like the way it looks, but to keep the bike as free from schmutz as I can.

By the way, that is exactly what my rear Scorpion looked like the day it gave up the hunt. You are no doubt thinking you can squeeze another 500 miles out of it in the same way there is always one more brush load in the toothpaste tube. But I'm here to tell you: be prepared!

I have the same miter saw you do, but a much nicer table saw
Pampero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #5000
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 123
Granturismo

Brought this beauty home last week.

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #5001
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I use all the fenderage I can not because I like the way it looks, but to keep the bike as free from schmutz as I can.

By the way, that is exactly what my rear Scorpion looked like the day it gave up the hunt. You are no doubt thinking you can squeeze another 500 miles out of it in the same way there is always one more brush load in the toothpaste tube. But I'm here to tell you: be prepared!

I have the same miter saw you do, but a much nicer table saw
Hi Pampero - LMAO. That picture was actually taken last year. I have since replaced the Scorpions with PR3s and they look a lot better than that! Agree 100% about the Scorpions tho...

One of the reasons for our move to Victoria is to buy a property big enough for me to build a dedicated shop detached from the house. When that happens in comes the in slab dust collection and cabinet saw!!

DD
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #5002
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTraveller View Post
Brought this beauty home last week.

Mike
Congrats, looks good! How are you finding the skyhook suspension? I just picked a 2013 up last week and am still messing with the settings but on bumpy roads its seems too firm.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #5003
OneTraveller
Social Reject

I find the Touring mode to be firm, but not uncomfortably so. The Urban mode is more compliant for rough roads.

Have you set you front and rear preloads for the appropriate sag? The front is done manually through the top of the right fork. The rear is done electronically.

Mine was set pretty well from the dealership so I haven't messed with it.

I find the Skyhook system to be un-noticeable in use, which is how it should be, but I only have about 270 miles on the bike so far.

Mike
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #5004
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
I find the Touring mode to be firm, but not uncomfortably so. The Urban mode is more compliant for rough roads.

Have you set you front and rear preloads for the appropriate sag? The front is done manually through the top of the right fork. The rear is done electronically.

Mine was set pretty well from the dealership so I haven't messed with it.

I find the Skyhook system to be un-noticeable in use, which is how it should be, but I only have about 270 miles on the bike so far.

Mike
I have not made any adjustments to the preload other than experimenting with solo rider or solo with luggage, etc. is that the preload for the rear or do I need to go into the settings and manually adjust the number. Do you have any instructions on how to manually set the front preload? Perhaps someone that is about 200 lbs with gear on can provide what they used for the front preload setting?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #5005
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmodab View Post
Hi Pampero - LMAO. That picture was actually taken last year. I have since replaced the Scorpions with PR3s and they look a lot better than that! Agree 100% about the Scorpions tho...

One of the reasons for our move to Victoria is to buy a property big enough for me to build a dedicated shop detached from the house. When that happens in comes the in slab dust collection and cabinet saw!!

DD
The important thing is that our bikes are spitting images of each other! Mine, red with DP top box and frame sliders, interesting crack in garage slab and craftsmen tool boxes so disorganized and stuffed that the draws can't be closed. That last bit is not seemingly part of your program though, Dave!
Pampero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #5006
OneTraveller
Social Reject

EJ,
There are two series of settings you'll need to play with to get the ride the way you want it.

First you'll need to set the pre-load to your weight. You'll need a couple of friends to help you.

The instructions for the rear preload start on page 110 of the manual. I haven't found instructions for how to set the front shock, but it should be pretty straight forward.

Follow that along with these instructions and you'll be on your way.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...pension_setup/
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...ur_motorcycle/
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Pr...uspension-sag/
http://www.dirtrider.com/features/un...uspension-sag/

The next effort is setting the compression and rebound damping to where you like it. The instruction for this start on page 106 of the manual.

My suggestion is to get the sag set, then make the initial change to the damping and ride it for a couple of days before making additional changes.

I suspect you'll be able to fine tune it within a week, then you can set it to the mode you want and forget it.

To start you off, you'll need to know that both front and rear suspensions come with approximately 170mm of wheel travel. Target sag is typically 1/3 of the wheel travel so 57mm.

Mike

OneTraveller screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 05:44 PM
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #5007
EJ_92606
Rider

Thanks for the detailed information...much appreciated!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #5008
dultanur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Question seat differences

Anybody try both the 2013 touring and GT models? How much of a difference does the seat and windshield make? I'll be coming off a 2010 GS (please don't hit me ).
dultanur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #5009
dwike
like you stole it!

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
EJ,
There are two series of settings you'll need to play with to get the ride the way you want it.

First you'll need to set the pre-load to your weight. You'll need a couple of friends to help you.

The instructions for the rear preload start on page 110 of the manual. I haven't found instructions for how to set the front shock, but it should be pretty straight forward.

Follow that along with these instructions and you'll be on your way.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...pension_setup/
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...ur_motorcycle/
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Pr...uspension-sag/
http://www.dirtrider.com/features/un...uspension-sag/

The next effort is setting the compression and rebound damping to where you like it. The instruction for this start on page 106 of the manual.

My suggestion is to get the sag set, then make the initial change to the damping and ride it for a couple of days before making additional changes.

I suspect you'll be able to fine tune it within a week, then you can set it to the mode you want and forget it.

To start you off, you'll need to know that both front and rear suspensions come with approximately 170mm of wheel travel. Target sag is typically 1/3 of the wheel travel so 57mm.

Mike
If I may add... The one thing that blew me away, when setting up my suspension, was how big an improvement it was to raise the front fork legs in the triple tree by about 5mm for a total of 15mm exposed above the triple tree clamp. Doesn't seem like much, but turn in and over all feel in the corners was instantly and dramatically improved. This suggestion came from a fairly competent rider, so I tired it and couldn't believe the improvement... For what it's worth.

Danny
dwike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #5010
OneTraveller
Social Reject

I didn't ride both, but I can tell you that the GT windshield does a decent job of wind protection. It is still a very noisy ride.

I wasn't impressed by sitting on either seat. I'm going to start with a sheepskin butt pad and see if that works for mine. There are 3-4 aftermarket seat options. If the sheepskin doesn't work, I'll be looking at one of those.

For me, there were only 2 new ones left in the state. My GT and a standard ABS model. I also gave serious consideration to a 2011 S Touring one of the dealers still has, but wanted the new motor and wanted to try the Skyhook.

Mike