User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #121
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Like the report ! Thank you

I need to do something soon and have been thinking Anakee .......
Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #122
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Put it on one week a go and only done our local "twisties" (called dikes ;)) They feel about the same as the old anakees 2's on pavement.

However what i was not to happy about was the amount of effort to get them on the F800GS's 21 inch front wheel. Serously had to manhandle the fitting machine to make it work. Took a hour and 30 minutes and 3 people to get it to stick (with inner tubes). No scratches or dings but i fear i might have to remove it with a saw!
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #123
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
The front was tough to install on my Capo too. It has a pretty substantial sidewall.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #124
sprale
Tu ne cede malis...

Oddometer: 319
After 23k miles on a pair of Anakee 2 tires on my V-Strom, I set out looking for another of the same. When I found it hard to find a pair at a good price, I saw the reviews of the Anakee 3 tires and decided to give it a shot. I just placed an order at CompAcc. I've had good experiences with them in the past and can't wait to get the new tires mounted and see how they compare.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #125
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,476
New Michelin Anakee 3 Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
After 23k miles on a pair of Anakee 2 tires on my V-Strom, I set out looking for another of the same. When I found it hard to find a pair at a good price, I saw the reviews of the Anakee 3 tires and decided to give it a shot. I just placed an order at CompAcc. I've had good experiences with them in the past and can't wait to get the new tires mounted and see how they compare.
Good luck with the mounting. I've only put the front on so far but it's the toughest tire I've ever mounted. Could not get the bead to seat, took over an hour airing up and down, lubing the bead, removing the tire completely and starting over. Finally got fed up and went in to eat supper leaving about 70psi in the tube/tire. Came out an hour later and thankfully bead had seated.

Really hope I never get a flat with these as I can't imagine getting a tube replaced and aired up properly using my portable compressor.

But I'm carrying tubes, irons, pump so I should never get a flat, right.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #126
Mopti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Hard to Mount!

Bought the Anakee 3's for my 1991 R100 GS. We got the rear on with lots of sweat even warming it in the sun. Next, the front. Again, very hard to get around the rim. No luck getting it to seat even with loads of No-Mar lube. Tried several times. Even put in 80 psi! Twice what Michelin said was OK. We used a manual machine. Rim is clean and I even wire brushed it. Ideas?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Sail (ride) away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in you sails (windscreen). Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Mopti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #127
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopti View Post
Bought the Anakee 3's for my 1991 R100 GS. We got the rear on with lots of sweat even warming it in the sun. Next, the front. Again, very hard to get around the rim. No luck getting it to seat even with loads of No-Mar lube. Tried several times. Even put in 80 psi! Twice what Michelin said was OK. We used a manual machine. Rim is clean and I even wire brushed it. Ideas?
When I said earlier that I couldn't get my bead to seat, it never did "seat" as in getting the pop-pop like you normally do. But the bead just wasn't sitting properly in the wheel. There's a thin raised line on the tire that sits about an 1/8" outside the rim. I always had a bit of that raised line under the rim lip so I knew the tire wasn't sitting properly on the wheel. Until I left it pressured up for an hour. Now the raised line is equal to the rim all around the wheel on both sides so I called it good. Never did get the bead to seat.

I think the problem is these are tubeless tires so they have a different bead. They are OK to run tubes so just something we have to live with.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #128
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopti View Post
I had a Metzeler laser onthe front of my GS that was leaking all around the bead. Slow leak. Had to put air in every 4 or 5 days. So I popped it off and cleaned the bead. Put it back on and couldn't get the bead to seat no matter what I did. Took it to a local shop and the guy took it in the back and came back 5 minutes later with it seated.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #129
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
When I said earlier that I couldn't get my bead to seat, it never did "seat" as in getting the pop-pop like you normally do. But the bead just wasn't sitting properly in the wheel. There's a thin raised line on the tire that sits about an 1/8" outside the rim. I always had a bit of that raised line under the rim lip so I knew the tire wasn't sitting properly on the wheel. Until I left it pressured up for an hour. Now the raised line is equal to the rim all around the wheel on both sides so I called it good. Never did get the bead to seat.

I think the problem is these are tubeless tires so they have a different bead. They are OK to run tubes so just something we have to live with.
Yeah, but his GS has tubeless wheels.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #130
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
23k as in 23,000? O_o

Broadcasting from a Mexican radio.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #131
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,783
Set on my 07 vstrom no problems mounting or balancing . Work great on pavement wet or dry . Handles gravel very well with a small amount of "hunting" on the front. Better turn in than the trailwings , stable at all angles and speeds. Running 36 ft and 40 rear.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #132
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
4000 mile pavement report; Anakee 3 on front and Anakee 2 on rear. Both are H rated. The Anakee 2 is a known commodity so not much to say. 34# front, 38# rear, loaded for touring/camping. I was very pleased with the performance and feel, turn in, etc. No squaring at all, the opposite actually.

An idea of roads I used, in order (I was videoing twisty bits this trip with the GoPro): Teton Pass, Flaming Gorge, pass down into Vernal UT, pass down into Fruita CO, Rimrock drive in Colorado National Monument, Million Dollar Highway, twisty road in Mesa Verde NP, Highway 64 across NM, flats across KS and the 91 and 19 in MO, Interstate (yuck), 295 and 20 across Nebraska, 87, 16A, and 14A in the Black Hills (waited and timed to minimize car chicanes), and then 16 across WY to home. As much twisty as I could fit in considering. And I did have the wick turned up a little for videoing

Not sure what is happening but the pics will show. It is like there is a harder compound in the center and is wearing very slowly compared to the sides. Any ideas?

Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #133
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
That looks like how my buddy's dual sport touring tires wear on his FJR1300. Are they dual compound ?
Edit: lol I'm so used to talking about dual sport stuff I wrote that when I meant to say super sport.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)

speedmonkey7 screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 02:40 PM
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #134
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I think they are dual compound but there is no literature that says so.
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #135
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappo View Post
4000 mile pavement report; Anakee 3 on front and Anakee 2 on rear. Both are H rated. The Anakee 2 is a known commodity so not much to say. 34# front, 38# rear, loaded for touring/camping. I was very pleased with the performance and feel, turn in, etc. No squaring at all, the opposite actually.

An idea of roads I used, in order (I was videoing twisty bits this trip with the GoPro): Teton Pass, Flaming Gorge, pass down into Vernal UT, pass down into Fruita CO, Rimrock drive in Colorado National Monument, Million Dollar Highway, twisty road in Mesa Verde NP, Highway 64 across NM, flats across KS and the 91 and 19 in MO, Interstate (yuck), 295 and 20 across Nebraska, 87, 16A, and 14A in the Black Hills (waited and timed to minimize car chicanes), and then 16 across WY to home. As much twisty as I could fit in considering. And I did have the wick turned up a little for videoing

Not sure what is happening but the pics will show. It is like there is a harder compound in the center and is wearing very slowly compared to the sides. Any ideas?

I noticed the same wear pattern on my front yesterday. I have 3500 miles on mine.