User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Primal Haj OP
Looking for Mecca

Oddometer: 128
73 R60/5 project with a twist

Brought home my first airhead, a barn find a friend of mine decided to pass over due to to many projects.

It has been crashed and has a number of obvious issues.

Possibly brain dead if not serious brain damage.

But the instruments look good, and I believe that is the actual milage.

And so does the seat. Actually there are a number of parts to be encouraged by; there is very little sign of rust, the rubber parts are in good shape and while I haven't gotten into the engine yet, it spins freely as dose the rear wheel in neutral.

As far as items known to be trashed we have the forks, headlight, front fender, fork brace, front rim but the drum looks good and the gas tank is pretty beat up.

And now for the twist.

The main frame is bent in at least 3 places and the sub frame is bent also, the swing arm is in good shape.

Now for the questions, what frames would be compatible with the engine and drive train and where might I look for them? Other options would be to build a new frame, I've got the tools but never built a MC frame before. Eventually I'd like to build a Hack, would that change my consideration?

Thoughts?

Here's where I left it today, tomorrow I'm going to investigate the engine and drive train further.

Craig

Primal Haj screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 06:51 PM
Primal Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
I've got an extra /5 frame you could have for cheap+shipping. Problem is I have no title for it (I think there lots of these untitled framed around).

You might be able to title it in Montana. I don't know.

Your best bet might be to put a Wanted ad in the flea market and on the ibmwr site to get a titled frame. Better yet get another parts bike and put the two together.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Haj View Post
Brought home my first airhead, a barn find a friend of mine decided to pass over due to to many projects.

It has been crashed and has a number of obvious issues.

Possibly brain dead if not serious brain damage.

But the instruments look good, and I believe that is the actual milage.

And so does the seat. Actually there are a number of parts to be encouraged by; there is very little sign of rust, the rubber parts are in good shape and while I haven't gotten into the engine yet, it spins freely as dose the rear wheel in neutral.

As far as items known to be trashed we have the forks, headlight, front fender, fork brace, front rim but the drum looks good and the gas tank is pretty beat up.

And now for the twist.

The main frame is bent in at least 3 places and the sub frame is bent also, the swing arm is in good shape.

Now for the questions, what frames would be compatible with the engine and drive train and where might I look for them? Other options would be to build a new frame, I've got the tools but never built a MC frame before. Eventually I'd like to build a Hack, would that change my consideration?

Thoughts?

Here's where I left it today, tomorrow I'm going to investigate the engine and drive train further.

Craig
Do you have a title and what did it cost?
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
pecos
BAM!!

Oddometer: 505
I have a 81 or so r100rt frame with clear title. But I don't think that will plug and play easily.
pecos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Primal Haj OP
Looking for Mecca

Cordless,

I figured there had to be some around, but I hadn't thought about their lack of title. Montana has a bonded title process I'm going to look into. Looking specifically for a titled one is an option too. Thanks.

Plaka,

I do have title, and at this point no cost as of yet.

Pecos,

Probably better than starting from scratch.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Haj View Post
Cordless,

I figured there had to be some around, but I hadn't thought about their lack of title. Montana has a bonded title process I'm going to look into. Looking specifically for a titled one is an option too. Thanks.

Plaka,

I do have title, and at this point no cost as of yet.

Pecos,

Probably better than starting from scratch.

Thanks,
Craig
Can't beat the price. Save that headlight bucket. There are parts you want. Don't remove the ignition switch, just put all in a box.

You are starting from scratch. You got an engine and tranny and the engine needs some work. The rest is spare parts, put 'em in a box. When I had a /5 I bought another, ran perfectly, and tore it down, sold the titled frame and parted the rest to myself over a great many years. Tripled my money and I still have the block in the attic.

Spare rear wheel is handy if strait. Ditto a matching rear drive for it. Check the spline wear---that will speak of the true mileage in terms of maintenance.

I'd get a complete running bike with a bad motor or tranny and let that be the platform. It should be cheap. Many of them get parted out because that gets the most money out f them. This is why you don't want to head out with a huge shopping list. It's the most expensive way to get all the stuff---or it takes the longest which kills the project with inertia. Put out some wanted ads. Then your project will net you a nice, complete running bike, for cheap + plenty of spares to keep it going, for even cheaper.

Remove the ID plates from the frame as they match your title (and the title should match the engine numbers). Could be handy sometime. All those frames with no titles? Where did they come from? Where did the parts go? Where do all those eBay parts come from---the ones shipping all over the world?
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Primal Haj OP
Looking for Mecca

Plaka,

I appreciate the comments and can't disagree with the logic, it's a matter of finding one.

Craig
Old 05-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
I see titled frames here in Seattle (on Craigslist) all the time for $150 keep an eye out, they are not rare.