Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
A friend and his wife both have 50cc Honda Metropolitans. When they tried to register them as mopeds (I believe they are actually 49cc motors) the clerk at the Motor Vehicle Department said very clearly, "If it has pedals then it's a moped and doesn't need a license nor do you need a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. If it doesn't have pedals your are out of luck."

Then again, this is Arizona.

blugg1 screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 04:45 PM
blugg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
I bought a zuma 50 for my wife and ride it more than her.44 mph going downhill
Old 05-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
Also from AZ. They are correct, only a REAL pedal moped can be registered as a moped here. No pedals makes it a motorcycle, no matter what the displacement.

Some states allow a 50cc scooter to be registered as a moped, but many also place performance restrictions on it, like max hp and top speed. Most 50cc scooters exceed both. Honda used to make a Metropolitan that met these requirements, it didn't have enough power to get out of it''s own way, and had a top speed of under 30 mph. Some states have a list of scooters that meet their "moped" restrictions, some will register anything under 50cc as a moped, but then give you a ticket if you are caught exceeding their max speed for mopeds, even if you are not otherwise speeding.

In any event, I see a 50cc scooter as not only pretty worthless but downright dangerous in town. I have owned two, an '05 Zuma and an '07 Metropolitan. Their top speed of around 40 mph may be enough for some situations, but they take forever to reach that speed. A turtle could just about outrun them.

You might be better off with actual mopeds. You can ride them to the far right, like a bicycle, instead of out in traffic. And if your state does not require pedals like AZ, Tomos makes all their moped models with or without pedals. They have a top speed of 30 mph, but will reach it much faster than a 50cc CVT scooter.

In AZ the hot ticket is a motorized bicycle. We have a law here that they can be ridden almost anywhere a regular bicycle can be ridden, including bike lanes, as long as you do not exceed 20 mph. They can also be parked at any bike rack. Max displacement is 48cc. No drivers license, registration, or insurance is required. This is what I'm talking about: http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 10:09 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
That's good advice. Rather than waste money trying to dodge motorcycle regulation and licensing, the OP and wife really should bite the bullet and take the tests; and get what they really need.

A snail-speed scoot in traffic is going to be by turns frustrating, frightening and dangerous; and the rider learns little about the benefits/pleasures of motorcycles/roadgoing scooters.

There is no free ride - not unless one's employer wants to spring for a bus pass. But that's another issue.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #20
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
good deal imo. i'd trade my wife for a scooter any day

you haven't seen my wife!

bada-bing, bada-boom (rim shot)
Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #21
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,542
I think my wife wouldn't mind taking the test on a scooter. Bikes intimidate her so once she learned she could actually do the test/course on a scooter she agreed the 125/150 may be better.

I already have my endorsement and ride a KTM 950 Adventure.
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #22
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
That's good advice. Rather than waste money trying to dodge motorcycle regulation and licensing, the OP and wife really should bite the bullet and take the tests; and get what they really need.

A snail-speed scoot in traffic is going to be by turns frustrating, frightening and dangerous; and the rider learns little about the benefits/pleasures of motorcycles/roadgoing scooters.

There is no free ride - not unless one's employer wants to spring for a bus pass. But that's another issue.
+1 on this. There may be some places where a 50cc scooter makes sense but they are to slow and downright dangerous on most roads.

After over 30 years of riding motorcycles I got a Kymco Super 8 150. It is an absolute blast to ride and the best around town commuter/errand runner I have ever owned.....or ridden. It's even fun outside of town and I have even taken mine to Deal's Gap

There are a lot of good 125 - 150cc scooters out there. The only real downside I see to this size scooter is that if you get on for your wife, it won't be long before you NEED a second one for yourself

A pic of my Super 8:

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #23
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,807
SOunds liek you're on teh right track. I wouldn't go smaller than a 125. A 50 is just too damn slow. You can't separate yourself from traffic, even in town.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
A friend and his wife both have 50cc Honda Metropolitans. When they tried to register them as mopeds (I believe they are actually 49cc motors) the clerk at the Motor Vehicle Department said very clearly, "If it has pedals then it's a moped and doesn't need a license nor do you need a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. If it doesn't have pedals your are out of luck."

Then again, this is Arizona.
Colorado and Texas both use "moped" for anything 49.9cc or less. In Colorado you can ride one on a car license. In Texas you need either a moped (restricted to 49.9cc or less AND you cannot exceed 30mph) or a full motorcycle license (no speed limit restriction so you can remove the limiter on a 49.9 or less cc scoot which in some cases, particularly with the 2 strokes will let you go 40-45mph).

A true moped with pedals doesn't require a license of any kind in Texas as far as I can tell.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
If you have decided to go with a larger than 49cc scooter, I would say look at the SYM HD200. We have one and it will cruise on a US freeway. We also have a Kymco People 150, and it is a great scooter also. My only complaint about the SYM is 1No kick starter as a backup. But the battery is very easy to access so I would suggest pulling it twice a year to check water level and give it a good charge on a slow charger. 2.It should be easier to add coolant. That's it. We bought a new leftover 2008 and this thing is a great scooter. Though the engine is actually a 172cc it thinks it's a 400. Water cooled, 4 valve head, ceramic coated cylinder, comfortable as can be, 82+ miles per US gallon, reliable, inexpensive, and comes with a 2 year warranty. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and even Vespa, only gives a 1 year warranty. The Kymco is a great scooter also, with a bit less power, a kick starter, and minus some size and weight. Kymco gives a 2 year warranty also. Mine is super reliable. Not as roomy as the SYM, but a fine ride. 60 mph is about the top cruising speed of the Kymco, but the SYM can handle a lot more.

If you do nothing else, test ride a SYM HD200.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #26
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

What Birdmove said. I've got a SYM also. It's a 2012 HD 200 EVO and probably the sole difference between his 2008 and my 2012 is that mine has a rear disc brake and his has a drum rear brake. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mine is quiet, accelerates like it's got a much larger engine, cruises easily at
75 mph and returns 71 mpg.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #27
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
If you have decided to go with a larger than 49cc scooter, I would say look at the SYM HD200. We have one and it will cruise on a US freeway. We also have a Kymco People 150, and it is a great scooter also. My only complaint about the SYM is 1No kick starter as a backup. But the battery is very easy to access so I would suggest pulling it twice a year to check water level and give it a good charge on a slow charger. 2.It should be easier to add coolant. That's it. We bought a new leftover 2008 and this thing is a great scooter. Though the engine is actually a 172cc it thinks it's a 400. Water cooled, 4 valve head, ceramic coated cylinder, comfortable as can be, 82+ miles per US gallon, reliable, inexpensive, and comes with a 2 year warranty. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and even Vespa, only gives a 1 year warranty. The Kymco is a great scooter also, with a bit less power, a kick starter, and minus some size and weight. Kymco gives a 2 year warranty also. Mine is super reliable. Not as roomy as the SYM, but a fine ride. 60 mph is about the top cruising speed of the Kymco, but the SYM can handle a lot more.

If you do nothing else, test ride a SYM HD200.
Well said about the HD200, I can back that up. I just purchased a new 09 a few weeks ago. Its our 2nd HD200, the first was an 06. Also the SYM HD125 is the exact same scooter with just a smaller displacement. They also perform well for their class and are a good buy in the used market.

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #28
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
We have a rear cargo box that we bought with the HD200. With that and the grocery bag hook, we are able to carry a lot. Plus it has the under seat storage. We carry the registration, manual, and some rain gear under there, which still leaves a bit of room. I take the SYM when I need to carry a lot, and the Kymco People 150 when I don't need to carry so much. The Kymco used to get a bit better gas mileage, but the SYM is now getting low 80s too, so gas mileage is a wash. The People is air cooled, and still a great scooter. I bought ours as a new leftover and got a great deal on it. It has more traditional scooter looks, while the SYM is kind of sporty looking.
Both make a great island bike, but we had the SYM when we lived in Puyallup, Wa., near Tacoma. The wife rode the SYM, and I road my Sportster, and we made a great goodby to Washington trip starting on I-5 to Olympia (the SYM did great), to Port Townsend, where we took the fairy to Whidby Island. Then rode to Anacortes, where we took the fairy to Orcas Island, where we stayed at the Orcas Hotel. Rode all over the island and had fun. Then, when we left, we took the boat to Anacortes, road to Whidby Island. Fairy to South Worth. Road and caught the ferry to the North end of Vashon Island. Road to the South end of Vashon and caught the boat to Tacoma, and rode home. That was a 4 ferry boat trip home! Had a great time. Went home and sold the Sportster and moved to the Big Island of Hawaii. We shipped the SYM to Hawaii, as the replacement cost versus the selling cost told me to take it with us. Bought the Kymco here as there are no SYM dealers on the island. The SYM was a perfect scooter for this ride. Just a bit of freeway, and lots of back highway and back road riding.
The wife likes the lighter weight and smaller size of the Kymco, but the SYM is the scooter I chose for her, and she loves it. I ride it a lot too.
I consider the SYM HD200 to be a best buy in scooters, and a best buy in motorized 2 wheelers in any category.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,586
I picked up an '09 couple of months ago. Got lucky, found it on CL for $1500. My wife has never ridden a bike until the day I brought this home. When I told her come to the garage(she didn't know I was buying it), she saw it and lit up.

She strapped on a helmet, I held the back of bike, and she putted about for a few minutes. I got her used to getting on the brakes hard with me holding. In a few minutes, she was puttering up & back. A few minutes later she was doing slow loops around the block, smiling like crazy. She'll be doing the MSF course this summer.

Prior to this purchase, I had been wanting to purchase a '12 HD200, I will still be purchasing a NEW HD soon, and keeping what I have

Spent about $450 on it with new belt & rollers, new tires, brakes, fluids and a new Givi 26L top box.

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #30
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Samthg,

There's a good SYM dealer just up the road in Santa Barbara. I think it's
called Ootys Scoots. He's on the SYM forum and quite helpful when we have questions.