Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #181
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Sorry you've got a lemon. They happen in every product line occasionally. I've owned 7 Piaggio/Vespas and the only one that has ever had serious issues was the one I bought used from a guy who installed a stereo, changed to after market chip that was supposed to let him use regular gas without losing anything and a couple of things which developed electrical problems.
Your dealership and AF1 Racing reports that they've never seen the number of issues you've had especially the tail light one. So you may want to check your state's vehicle lemon laws. I don't know in your state but I know in California if you have to take something back 3 times for the same issue and the manufacturer is unable to fix it they have to provide a new vehicle.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #182
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Yep, the Lemon Law is the next thing on the agenda. I will be digging out all the work orders and parts orders and constructing a time line, then will submit a request as required and we'll take it from there. Thanks, CD, for taking the time to reply and make suggestions to resolve the issues. You're right...every manufacturer produces lemons. I have no way of knowing how often such lemons are coming out of the Piaggio factory, other than the positive anecdotal info you've provided and the negative anecdotal info I've received from other sources like Warney and others, not to mention my own personal experience.

It is what it is, but I've been burned enough, I think.

Dom, I'm seriously thinking about a newer Burgman 400 or the Kymco People 300 GTi. Also, if I could find a good used Yamaha Morphous, I might be up for something like that. I'm in no hurry. The right bike at the right price will come along at the right time...meanwhile, it's a good comfort having a great machine like the SWing to carry me forward...
Old 05-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #183
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Bob, people with unhappy experiences tend to be more vocal. I had a car that was a pure lemon many years ago. It was in the shop for the I don't know how many times (but they found something different each time) when they called to tell me it would take 2 weeks for the latest repair - no offer of a loaner either. I made the mistake of saying, good now I get a new car since the 30 days out of service runs out tomorrow.

Dealership went out and took the part off a new car in the lot and had it ready to be picked up by 9 the next morning. You don't know how many times I've cursed myself for that comment. 1.2 years later the engine blew completely. Yet Road and Track had nothing but praise for the car and the first 6 months it was great then there was a "pop" one day out of the freeway in Riverside, CA. After that it was one thing after another - you know how many things have to go wrong to get 30 days out of service in less than 6 months?

I know a couple dozen people with BV 500s and yours is the only one with the tail light issue. I did have a speedo issue with one of my NOS BV 500s but it was replaced under warranty and not had a bit of trouble with it since - 3 years ago. That scoot has made many a long distance tour too - Houston to Breckenridge, CO, Breckenridge to San Diego through the Utah national parks (and more time on dirt that I really like), back up through Monterey (Big Sur, lovely can't recommend it enough), through Yosemite, across US 50/6 in Nevada (cruised 85-95 for hours only stopping to top off the tank from the spare gas I carried) back to Breckenridge. From Breckenridge to Lake Geneva, WI for Amerivespa, again through national parks like Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Crazy Horse (okay not a national park but very interesting), around the southern bits of Lake Michigan part way up the state then across on the Lake Express Ferry back to WI with a more northerly route back to Breckenridge via Fargo, Teddy Roosevelt National Park, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Rocky Mountain national parks. It is ready for a belt, rollers and spark plug change but not a single mechanical or other issue (knock wood) on any of them unless you count the sucky gas mileage crossing Nevada at 85+ mph (dropped it down almost to what the Burgman 400 got - oh and I find the BV 500 more comfortable than the Burgman we had though I adored the amount of storage in the Burgman.)

At Amerivespa there were several BV 500 owners who had ridden in. None of which have mentioned any of the issues you'd had nor did the few BV 250 owners. Sadly there was no one with the BV 350 at Amerivespa last year but the few people I know who own them (2 in Houston, more on the Modern Vespa forum) only one has reported any significant problems and that was a Brit on the Modern Vespa forum.

I know many here adore the Burgman but it doesn't fit me and I had several minor things go wrong with it in the 2 years we owned it more than I've had in the over 5 years I've owned the GTS.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #184
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,319
AH, cheerleading for Paiggio...

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #185
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, CD, I'm aware of your positive experiences with the BV500. I'm pleased for you and I'm glad you've gotten such good service from it. My experience has been significantly different.

You may recall from the beginning of this string that my purpose was to report everything, good, bad and indifferent. I think I've said that the BV outhandles the SWing, gets better fuel mileage and is generally pleasing to ride. These attributes do not, IMHO, offset the machine's propensity to break parts and have components like the speedo/odo malfunction multiple times. I don't know if my machine is a lemon or if it is simply the result of poor design and quality control. At this point, I don't really care.

That said, thanks for contributing to the thread and for the suggestions you made to help me out. I wish you continued good luck with your machine.

Switching subjects for a moment, on this Memorial Day, I'd like to ask you all to take a minute to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice on behalf of their country, and those who are serving or who have served. Thanks to all for your service.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #186
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

FWIW, my physical therapist is a Navy vet (fast attack sub) and he told me that he is a vet so today is not the day to thank him but the folks who have given their life in service to their country. His point is that he is still alive, well and has many years ahead of him so while he appreciates being thanked for his service today is the day for others. I thought it was an interesting POV.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #187
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
FWIW, my physical therapist is a Navy vet (fast attack sub) and he told me that he is a vet so today is not the day to thank him but the folks who have given their life in service to their country. His point is that he is still alive, well and has many years ahead of him so while he appreciates being thanked for his service today is the day for others. I thought it was an interesting POV.
I agree with your PT. I'm retired Navy but consider this holiday to belong to those who gave their lives. Those of us still alive have Veterans Day.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #188
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

I might should clarify that it never occurred to me that people would think that Memorial Day was for living vets. As you said that's what Veterans Day is for and I'm rather pleased to see people thanking those who are serving for their service. I've got a nephew in the Navy and one in the Air Force. It wouldn't surprise me if my youngest son doesn't go in one of them when he's older either.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #189
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm retired Navy also. Didn't mean to imply that this day was about the living vets, BUT I try never to pass up an opportunity to thank those who serve or who have served, on Memorial Day, on Veterans Day and on every other day.

That said, Memorial Day is, in fact, about those who stood in the breach for us and who have made the ultimate sacrifice. My wife, who is also a vet, and I attended the memorial service at the Moving Wall this afternoon. Having never been to the Wall, I found it very moving and humbling. It put me in mind of my first CO, who was a POW in North Vietnam...he was not KIA, but he truly suffered on behalf of this nation.

Thanks for the clarifying remarks and I apologize if my comments were a bit muddy.

Let's not forget the families of the fallen, also.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #190
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

One of our local riding clubs spent yesterday putting flags on the graves at the veteran's cemetery.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #191
Vesparatti07
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wink BV500 and other maxi-scooters

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and truly appreciate the real life experiences people have been sharing, especially regarding the BV500. (I found this discussion when searching for info on the BV500.)

Very sorry about the bad experience you had with yours gumshoe4!

I have a question for anyone that would like to comment. Do all of the bigger scooters, say 350cc or larger, exhibit a noticeable lag from the moment you twist the throttle until you feel the "kick-in-the-pants"?

I currently have a 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, bought new I now have close to 18,000 miles of mostly city driving on the machine. I love this scooter, but did get the "bug" to try out some bigger scooters.

With the GTS250 I am used to having no noticeable lag, when I twist the throotle it immediately takes off. With the bigger scooters I've test ridden they all had a noticeable lag. The most noticeable lag was in the Burgman 650. A 2013 BV350 had a modest lag, (but I felt a little cramped on the seat, I'm 6'0") I also tried a Yamaha Majesty 400, but it really felt underpowered to me.

Now I've found a local dealer with two new BV 500s, one is the 2008 with the 460 engine I believe, the other is a 2009.

Does anyone here notice this "lag" in any of their machines?

So far I don't think I've found anything that my GTS250 wouldn't beat from say 0 to 40 or 45.

Most of my riding is in the metro area and the GTS250 is more than adequate unless I want to ride on the highways. If/when I upgrade I would like something with noticeably better 0-50 time, not just higher top speeds. Oh, and it must be hgihly manuevrable in city traffic, easy to throw my (170) weight around to dodge cars and pot holes.

Am I just expecting too much?
Vesparatti07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #192
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

There is a slight lag on the BV 500 and Scarabeo 500. I switched from stock rollers to Dr Pulley sliders on the Scarabeo which solved the lag on it. Will be switching on the BV as well next service.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #193
Vesparatti07
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks, cdwise!

I forgot to mention, I had also test rode a used 2004 Aprilia 500 Atlantic with less than 2,000 miles. For me, it was the most comfortable (leg room wise) of the scooters I've tried. It also felt very "light", easy to maneuver and thow around. It too had a slight lag which really got me to wondering about this.

I really want to buy new though, otherwise I really liked the feel of that bike!

It's good to know there is a way to "correct" this.

So do the manufacturers not put these sliders in (instead of the rollers) to save money, or get better gas mileage, or what? Who knows..
Vesparatti07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #194
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

I've heard that Piaggio is using Dr Pulley sliders in some of the newer models. The Atlantic is an older model and I doubt you will find a new one unless some dealership has some NOS (new old stock) available. That is how I purchased both BV 500s and the 2009 Scarabeo 500 I traded my 2007 Scarabeo 500 in on.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #195
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

So, update time. The turn signals have been doing a pretty good job of remaining intact for awhile, until about three weeks ago, when I went on a run into the mountains. When I returned, this time, the LEFT rear turn signal had gone blooey...the last five turn signal breaks were on the right rear side.

So, I finally got sick of the whole thing, ripped off the cheesy rear turn signals on both sides and replaced them with very sturdy turn signals which I obtained at Cycle Gear. These are hardwired in and very solid...I do not believe they will break, because the stalks are one piece and a lot shorter...but time, and miles, will tell. Here are some photos:

Stock Piaggio turn signal on the right, new replacement on the left:

Closeup of the replacement turn signal. I also remounted the support bracket using different screws with large allen head drive slots and nylock nuts:

Completed installation:

The new turn signals appear to be working well and don't bounce around at all.

The speedometer and odometer continue to work properly.

Time to get out ride this thing some more...