User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
brocktoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Restoring Wixom Panniers

I'm restoring a set of rough Wixom panniers.

With some help from Boxer Metal I got the mounts refitted for a LBW /5, and painted them with POR-15. I've finally gotten around to stripping the paint off the bags themselves. So far, the easiest method BY FAR has been soda blasting:

I know dick-all about painting and have a few questions. The white underlayer appears to be primer. The soda blasting is not removing it (not without remaining on the area for a while, anyway). I've heard using a few coats of high-build primer with sanding in between will help smooth out some of the scrapes and scratches that have accumulated. Can I paint over the white primer, or do I have to get down to the bare fiberglass?

Also, any ideas what the rust-colored layer between the gray and the white might be?
brocktoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Kanticoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Looks to me that the rust colored paint is your primer, and what you're seeing that is white is actually the gelcoat in which case you don't want to remove it. Sand the gelcoat with 320 until uniform, then hit with high build. Sand at 400, hit with sealer primer, sand again with 400 and then color coat and clear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Kanticoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocktoon View Post
I'm restoring a set of rough Wixom panniers.

With some help from Boxer Metal I got the mounts refitted for a LBW /5, and painted them with POR-15. I've finally gotten around to stripping the paint off the bags themselves. So far, the easiest method BY FAR has been soda blasting:

I know dick-all about painting and have a few questions. The white underlayer appears to be primer. The soda blasting is not removing it (not without remaining on the area for a while, anyway). I've heard using a few coats of high-build primer with sanding in between will help smooth out some of the scrapes and scratches that have accumulated. Can I paint over the white primer, or do I have to get down to the bare fiberglass?

Also, any ideas what the rust-colored layer between the gray and the white might be?
The white stuff is the bare fiberglass. it's the gelcoat. Don't cut into it, it may be thin. Use spot putty and high build primer up from there.

Check out the VHT site for their line of rattlecan paints:

www.vhtpaint.com

Or you can get the good 2 part stuff from hot rod places. About $100 a kit.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
erimille
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanticoy View Post
Looks to me that the rust colored paint is your primer, and what you're seeing that is white is actually the gelcoat in which case you don't want to remove it. Sand the gelcoat with 320 until uniform, then hit with high build. Sand at 400, hit with sealer primer, sand again with 400 and then color coat and clear.
I'd second Kanticoy's post. I followed this routine when restoring my Wixoms and was very pleased with the results. Pop the aluminum runners off and give them a nice run on a buffer. They shine up quite nicely. To reattach, I decided to countersink with screws and bolts (rather than rivits). The locks needed a bit of work, but managed to also get these back to a reusable state as well. A few ebay purchases later and I even managed to find the original lenses.

- http://potlach.org/2011/03/wixom/

Overall I've been very pleased with the addition of the Wixom rangers on my /5.

Keep at it! I think you'll be very happy with the results.

--e
erimille is offline   Reply With Quote