Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #31
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,592
[QUOTE=jackd;21481630]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I can see it being ok, on the basis that the S fairing was available for optional purchase when the bike was new. Covering one's ass by documenting and sending in pics to their office is a good thing to do though.
QUOTE]

How do you ascertain what were factory optional items twenty years after the manufacture date of a motorcycle? Any online sources? Or do you go to BMW Canada and ask for info? Thanks for your imputs.

On the matter of insurance costs of Vancouver Island versus Vancouver itself, I can testify that the insurance costs are much lower over here. Having moved here from Burnaby last summer, I had a $500 reduction in my insurance costs due to the area of operation alone - that was a very pleasant surprise. The driving 'atmosphere' in the Lower Mainland is degrading steadily as the population increases. I can see why the costs are so high.

Well, the S fairing could be purchased from BMW as a replacement part for an S model, or as an addition to an non S model. Pretty solid evidence that it was available.
Steve G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,953
Thanks Steve. I recently read that the authentic BMW 'S' fairing is no longer available but aftermarket copies are. I'll start doing my research. The GS might have a brother sitting next to it in the garage if all works out.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #33
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Thanks Steve. I recently read that the authentic BMW 'S' fairing is no longer available but aftermarket copies are. I'll start doing my research. The GS might have a brother sitting next to it in the garage if all works out.
ICBC isn't going to know the difference between oem and jobber fairing. Not sure what kind of attachment hardware is needed?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #34
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
ICBC isn't going to know the difference between oem and jobber fairing. Not sure what kind of attachment hardware is needed?
Boy are we getting off topic! My apologies to the OP.

By reading a few threads here about 'S' fairings, it would seem to be quite easy to adapt one of these things to a later model machine. I'm pretty sure I could improve on what they sell by fabricating bits at my workplace. This could be a very enjoyable project for next winter.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #35
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Full coverage on a KLR. You're joking, right (the place where the question mark should be).

Yeah that was a joke.

Obviously ICBC won't cover milk crates.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #36
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Steve G - need your knowledge once more. You run one 'Collector' plate over your herd of bikes and save big bucks. I'm contemplating purchasing another older BMW which I hope to run alongside my GS with a 'Collector' designation. What would be the way to go - running both with the common 'Collector' plate or go for separate coverage?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #37
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Steve G - need your knowledge once more. You run one 'Collector' plate over your herd of bikes and save big bucks. I'm contemplating purchasing another older BMW which I hope to run alongside my GS with a 'Collector' designation. What would be the way to go - running both with the common 'Collector' plate or go for separate coverage?
Hi Jack,
Yes, I've got a 'Multi-Vehicle Collector" plate. Starts to make financial sense if you are running 3 bikes or more. And it makes sense if you like to regularly run all your machines [as I very much do] rather than essentially mothball them. The basic insurance is of course based on engine size, except on a "Multi" plate, it's based on the bike with the biggest engine size. So if you've got for example a 1000cc bike, and 7- 250cc bikes, you pay the Multi plate cost of a 751-1150cc engine size [around $490/yr in the 'big smoke' of North Surrey.

Of course, then you will be faced with perhaps the most demanding and difficult of 'first world' problems, deciding which bike to ride on Sunday morning, and not needing to wait till the insurance place opens. And a word of caution,,,,about 25% of the time, I leave my house without swapping plates onto the bike I've decided to take out.
Once I've even ridden to bloody Squamish for coffee, and not noticing it until I got off the bike at Starbucks. This of course emphasizes complete adherance to speed limits with tail between my legs heading home.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #38
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oh I can imagine that forgetting to put a plate on your ride might cause a few problems. The best thing about heading up to Squamish is that some fool will always be going faster than you will and will be drawing all the attention away from you. From what I'm seeing over here, most of the cops are running around in white Chevy pickup trucks. I live next door to the cop shop and I usually take a peak in to try to spot whatever is new they might be running.

Thanks for the clarification on the multiple plate versus individual plate situation. I'll only have the two to worry about if I find what I'm looking for. They'll be so much alike that I'll have to look down just to figure what the hell I'm riding at the time.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #39
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Gosh...I just insured 11 vehicles for liability and underinsured motorist, including a 2009 diesel pick up, 2009 Cobalt SS, FZ1, Versys 1000, KLR650, KLX400 (yes, it's plated), others, for $2,311 per year. In simple terms, that's $210 per vehicle. For that rate, I just leave the bikes insured all year. Anybody want to move to the Yukon? And have you read about SGI going after motorcycles? Motorcycle Mojo had an editorial on what seemed like outrageous pricing.
Move to the NWT! 1 mill liability on commercial tractor trailer $660 a year and bikes with same coverage $120 for full year. Abet, the season is short, so now I'm going to leave them in Arizona for the winter