Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
Panayos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Just a few quick comments (I live in Finland): the main highway Helsinki - Oulu - Rovaniemi is boooooring. Much nicer scenery going up north thru east, lots of lakes, and small hills, that rise higher, as you head north, they won´t match Norway, though!

Lofoten is a good pick in Norway, very spectacular. And like others have said, try to route closer to the sea between Kristiansund and Stavanger. (But I hope you´re not in a hurry then, because that area is very slow-going, even the main roads, and there´s lots to see and do, so it takes many days to do it “properly”. If you´ve got 1 month for the entire trip, then you need to think, what you want to do with that.)
Thanks pecha for your tips.
After Nordkapp i will head for Rovaniemi and from there is my way back and i want it to be the fastest way.
On the whole trip i will only spend more days for touring in the balkans and east coast of Norway. The rest of the trip will be fast highways to cover the distance quickly.
Panayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
Johnscaff
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Your trip

Hi Panayos

When are you going on your trip ?
I'm planning on something very similar but starting & finishing in England. I start on 31 May and I'm also on my own.
Johnscaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 425
Not joking here: Go the other way around!

The most scenic areas will be in Norway, so if you start in the east, it will just get better and better. Also, if you get ahead of your schedule, you can spend valuable time in the fjords.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
cip2006is
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Yassou Panayotis!
Few tips for Turkey mostley:
When crossing from Kerynia to Tasucu I would take a night ferry (RO-RO), it is a bit cheaper, and you can sleep on the deck. Change some euros in YTL (turkish lira) in North Cyprus (you may get good rates on Ledra street in Nicosia), you will need some for insurance in Turkey (about 50 YTL). Credit cards are accepted everywhere, better have a prepayed one . Motorway is cheap in Turkey, but some B roads are better then the motorway in Cyprus ( no offence, but you will see). The road from Tasucu to Konya is my favorite. Acomodation in Turkey is dirt cheap, no point of camping. And do not talk politics or religion with the turks! I found Turkey to be very safe, I traveled with Cyprus number plates with no problems, I've been stopped by the army once (some kurdish conflict that time) asked for passport only, and by police (radar) few times, they imediately let me go when they see the number plates.
Why you are not crossing Romania and ride Transfagarasanul and Transalpina Routes?
I would stay away from any major city, like Ankara, Istambul, Sofia, Budapest, etc. The traffic is horrible, and you can spend a lot of time crossing a big city.
cip2006is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
Panayos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscaff View Post
Hi Panayos

When are you going on your trip ?
I'm planning on something very similar but starting & finishing in England. I start on 31 May and I'm also on my own.
i start on the 1st of August 2013.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #21
Panayos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cip2006is View Post
Yassou Panayotis!
Few tips for Turkey mostley:
When crossing from Kerynia to Tasucu I would take a night ferry (RO-RO), it is a bit cheaper, and you can sleep on the deck. Change some euros in YTL (turkish lira) in North Cyprus (you may get good rates on Ledra street in Nicosia), you will need some for insurance in Turkey (about 50 YTL). Credit cards are accepted everywhere, better have a prepayed one . Motorway is cheap in Turkey, but some B roads are better then the motorway in Cyprus ( no offence, but you will see). The road from Tasucu to Konya is my favorite. Acomodation in Turkey is dirt cheap, no point of camping. And do not talk politics or religion with the turks! I found Turkey to be very safe, I traveled with Cyprus number plates with no problems, I've been stopped by the army once (some kurdish conflict that time) asked for passport only, and by police (radar) few times, they imediately let me go when they see the number plates.
Why you are not crossing Romania and ride Transfagarasanul and Transalpina Routes?
I would stay away from any major city, like Ankara, Istambul, Sofia, Budapest, etc. The traffic is horrible, and you can spend a lot of time crossing a big city.
Thanks for your tips mate.
I have been last year touring in Romania transfagarasan and transalpina road, so i prefer to see Serbia and Montenegro this time, and after the adriatic coastal road of Croatia.
Turkey its just a pass-through for me so i plan to take the fastest way.
Another option is through Konya and Yalova then ferry to Istambul. I don't know the roads there so its difficuld to decide.
Any tips for that ??
And by the way if you are from Cyprus we can arrange to meet.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
Panayos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post
Not joking here: Go the other way around!

The most scenic areas will be in Norway, so if you start in the east, it will just get better and better. Also, if you get ahead of your schedule, you can spend valuable time in the fjords.
Thanks for the tip
ahead of schedule is something i will try to do since i would love to hike the preikestolen and kjeragbolden. hope i can make it.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
cip2006is
Adventurer

In Turkey, the fastest way to cross it is highway. If you take night ferry, by 9 am you will clear the customs in Tasucu and you can start towards Ankara. That means by 8 pm you will cross Istambul (if you go 140 km/hour) that time is very busy on the motorway and you will have the sun in your eyes, but it is doable.
You can go towards Canakale and cross to Eceabat (8 YTL) in 10 minutes, and avoid Istanbul and than go to Edirne.
I moved to UK last December, so maybe we will cross the path in August somewhere in Europe.
One month to do that trip is gonna be very tight.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #24
Panayos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
In Turkey, the fastest way to cross it is highway. If you take night ferry, by 9 am you will clear the customs in Tasucu and you can start towards Ankara. That means by 8 pm you will cross Istambul (if you go 140 km/hour) that time is very busy on the motorway and you will have the sun in your eyes, but it is doable.
You can go towards Canakale and cross to Eceabat (8 YTL) in 10 minutes, and avoid Istanbul and than go to Edirne.
I moved to UK last December, so maybe we will cross the path in August somewhere in Europe.
One month to do that trip is gonna be very tight.
Dear friend,
I know its difficult by i will go for it.
Thank you for the info. Indeed its very helpful.
I think finally because i want to see Istambul, i will take the route to Konya, and from there Eskisehir and finally arrive in Yalova(820 km). The next day take the ferry to istambul for a morning visit to Ay. Sofia and the head for Thessaloniki.
Can you give any reference for timetable of Girne ferries to Tasucu ??
If indeed there is a night feryy connecting girne-Tasucu thats a blessing.
Never heared for a night ferry. ithought it was only the one living at 14:00, and not on Fridays. If you can send me a link and/or if possible to make reservation on line.
It will be very nice to meet !!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
cip2006is
Adventurer

With Fergun only Friday they have a night ferry from Kerinia: http://www.fergun.net/Seferlerimiz.aspx
With Akgunler you have Monday and Friday night ferry:
http://www.akgunlerdenizcilik.com/seferler/
I never booked online, just went in the port and bought the tickets, in August is busy all the time, but a bike can get on the ferry easy.
You will need insurance for the North Cyprus and for Turkey, not sure If you can make them both in North. I would try and make the insurance for Turkey from the North Cyprus cos it will save you a lot of time in the morning when you do the customs in Tasucu. Be very patient at the customs, it will take you at least one hour to get out from the port, but if you are lucky at 9 in the morning you can start your trip from Tasucu. Last time I was late one hour cos the ferry could not lower the ramp properly and every body was stuck on the boat.
Good luck and Kalo Taxidi!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #26
Panayos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
With Fergun only Friday they have a night ferry from Kerinia: http://www.fergun.net/Seferlerimiz.aspx
With Akgunler you have Monday and Friday night ferry:
http://www.akgunlerdenizcilik.com/seferler/
I never booked online, just went in the port and bought the tickets, in August is busy all the time, but a bike can get on the ferry easy.
You will need insurance for the North Cyprus and for Turkey, not sure If you can make them both in North. I would try and make the insurance for Turkey from the North Cyprus cos it will save you a lot of time in the morning when you do the customs in Tasucu. Be very patient at the customs, it will take you at least one hour to get out from the port, but if you are lucky at 9 in the morning you can start your trip from Tasucu. Last time I was late one hour cos the ferry could not lower the ramp properly and every body was stuck on the boat.
Good luck and Kalo Taxidi!
Thanks mate,
the websites are in turkish and i cannot understand nothing.
Anyway i will go for it and follow your advice, thanks again.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
cip2006is
Adventurer

My google crome translates automaticlly in english so I had no problem wit that.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #28
Panayos OP
Adventurer

One question about Norway Hiking.

I have read about the most famous hiking in Norway is the preikestolen and the kjerag.
If i dont have enough time to do both, and like to choose one of the too??
Which one do you prefer ?????????