Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #16
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Although I don't have the 50,000 miles you're looking for, my bike will be hitting 40,000 this week. It's an '04 S model that I've owned since 2007. I purchased it with only 2500 miles on it so I know nearly all of its history. I replaced the water pump shaft and seal at about 14k miles and my last (and only) valve adjustment was at about the same time. It's left me stranded twice and both times were due to a failing voltage regulator. I was not able to diagnose the problem until after the second failure. The fuel pump has never let me down although I do carry a spare. I suspect this is because I loathe riding in wet and muddy conditions and am less likely to have moisture corrosion issues. I still have the original clutch slave cylinder because I can replace the o-ring for pennies compared to the exorbitant expense of the aftermarket slave. I'll have to admit to machining a replacement clutch slave cylinder piston with tighter tolerances to promote o-ring longevity. Since doing that I have not had to replace the o-ring. However, it's only been a few thousand miles.

I ride the bike very hard, especially offroad since it's a rally bike at heart and there are few feelings that rival a standup sweeping gravel road corner with your head out over the front wheel and the throttle pinned. I'll admit to having neglected the bike for the last 20k miles as I have too many projects. It gets regular oil and filter changes but little more. I feel that it's overdue for a valve clearance check and possibly another water pump shaft and seal (I've had the radiator overflow tank coated with oil residue for some time now). My biggest problems right now are the degrading fuel lines due to the ethanol in the fuel and what appears to be a bad throttle position sensor circuit. Once I check the valves and replace the water pump shaft/seal, I'll know if 26k miles is all the poor thing can endure.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Gona watch this one.
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,869
how many miles on your odo? I expect the 990 will outlast you.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
how many miles on your odo? I expect the 990 will outlast you.
It had 4,900 miles on it when I purchased it two years ago. It has 20,000 miles now. But it has been one of five motos and now it is my only moto. I have averaged riding 42,000 miles per year for the last ten years and 89,000 in 2011 and 2012. My only trip this year was on my R1100GS and was 96 days, 10,300 miles. I can assure you given good health and no bad accidents, this KTM will not out last me!

But I am trying to get a better idea of how long it might last and what issues I should expect as the miles accumulate. I am referring to continuous traveling with down time limited to maintenance and an occasional issue. This moto will not experience yearly tear downs when riding season is gone and there is snow on the ground. This moto will be near 100% of my transportation. I will have my truck parked in the US, but when I am not traveling, I will live in Mexico, with the KTM as my sole transportationn.

BTW, this moto will be ridden as an Adventure Moto, not a Dual Sport. It will see significant action south of the border, but very little off road.
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,395
I often think about how long a bike will last too. And its quite a concern for me. My ninja 250r has 76k, if a 250 can do 76k then a ktm 990 can easily do that as well and beyond.

I just wish bikes didnt require so much maintenance.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
It had 4,900 miles on it when I purchased it two years ago. It has 20,000 miles now. But it has been one of five motos and now it is my only moto. I have averaged riding 42,000 miles per year for the last ten years and 89,000 in 2011 and 2012. My only trip this year was on my R1100GS and was 96 days, 10,300 miles. I can assure you given good health and no bad accidents, this KTM will not out last me!

But I am trying to get a better idea of how long it might last and what issues I should expect as the miles accumulate. I am referring to continuous traveling with down time limited to maintenance and an occasional issue. This moto will not experience yearly tear downs when riding season is gone and there is snow on the ground. This moto will be near 100% of my transportation. I will have my truck parked in the US, but when I am not traveling, I will live in Mexico, with the KTM as my sole transportationn.

BTW, this moto will be ridden as an Adventure Moto, not a Dual Sport. It will see significant action south of the border, but very little off road.
How can it be an adventure moto and see very little off road?

Seriously, I think you're over thinking this. Do the scheduled maintenance and service the wear items and there's no reason you won't see well over 100k miles. Plenty of folks here have turned over 100K miles on 950s/990s. Of the bikes you've listed I'd put my money on the 990 any day.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Poser alert!

40K miles each of the last 10 years?
I call BS....or you have a really long commute and you never take a day off (40k/365=109.58 miles a day).
I would also find an answer like "I don't need to work" suspect as well.
Smart, sucessful people don't have to ask goofy questions like how long will a bike last.
Yeh, this post brought out my inner grumpiness. I mean come on, don't you think this mileage total is a little over the top?
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBigfoot View Post
40K miles each of the last 10 years?
I call BS....or you have a really long commute and you never take a day off (40k/365=109.58 miles a day).
I would also find an answer like "I don't need to work" suspect as well.
Smart, successful people don't have to ask goofy questions like how long will a bike last.
Yeh, this post brought out my inner grumpiness. I mean come on, don't you think this mileage total is a little over the top?

You know, before you start suggesting someone is a liar, you should at least check their Profile, maybe see if they have done any Ride Reports. No, I did not ride 40,000 miles, each of the last two years. I rode 51,091 miles in 2011 and 37,992 miles in 2012. The high during the last ten years was 52,000 and the low was 32,000 miles.

No, I don't need to work. Over 32 years in the tire and tube manufacturing business with jobs spanning janitor work to General Plant Manager along the way. It may also be a lie, but I think I earned a MBA. Most importantly, good retirement benefits along with the intellect to invest and capitalize on the stock market worked to my advantage. I am not "rich" by my standards, but I am comfortable.

There are riders with a lot more miles than me. But I have rode a fair amount. Since I came home in April I sold a Goldwing with 242,000 miles that I purchased new. A KLR with 87,000 miles that I purchased with 840 miles on it. A KLX250S with, I believe 8,100 that I purchased with 1,503 miles, and I just sold a R1100GS with 103,000 on the odometer and 7,000 documented with a GPS while the speedo cable was broken. It had 28,000 on it when purchased. What about you? Have you been riding any?

Given that I have only read of a few 950/990s with more than 40,000 miles on them and given how much I ride, I think the question is very reasonable. I did not originally purchase this moto to be my only bike and was not intending on it being a 40,000 mile per year moto. But, I did not plan on my wife of 38 years dying, nor did I plan on selling my house and living on the road.

I don't feel any reason to justify a damn thing to you, but if you are curious, check out some of these Ride Reports:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876310

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802682

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596373

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767492

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750875

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615106

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708584

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650267

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729277

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392321

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466441

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550086

You might not want to be quite as quick to openly question someone's honesty on a public forum, you just might make an ass of yourself. But, if you come down to Mississippi before I leave, we can go riding!

Other than when I lived in Texas and worked in Mexico, where I occasionally rode my moto to work, I have very rarely used the motos to commute to work.

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 02:29 PM
Old 05-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Somebody just done got told, lol. I've done 7k miles in two weeks, so 40k a year with lots of time off/retired is entirely reasonable.

2011 KTM 250XC with lots of protection stuff for when I bounce it down a hill.
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
dysan
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I've got a 950 with 45k on it and got it with about 18k on it. It's already had all the engine mods and the bulk of Pyndon knowledge put into it. The engine was rebuilt by him after some fuel confusion by the previous owner.

It's had a fairly hard life whilst in my ownership with off road tours of Morocco and competitions in the UK

The only time it's let me down is when the believed to be indestructible facet pump I fitted gave up and I didn't have a spare with me. Swapped back to the KTM one as at least you can normally make it get you home.

I think key thing with these motors is to keep on top of the maintenance, neglect it and you'll pay.

Chassis wise, not much goes wrong, even when heavily abused. Stick with KTM bearings as they seem to last much longer than other makes.

That's what I've learned in two years.
dysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
7k in two weeks is not 40k average for 10 years.
I'm fully aware poeple can rack up a lot of miles on their bikes, that's not my beef. In this case it just seams there are too many bikes, too many miles in too short of time that's all. Won't be the first time, nor the last, I've been wrong though.
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Somebody just done got told, lol. I've done 7k miles in two weeks, so 40k a year with lots of time off/retired is entirely reasonable.
Maybe the fellow was just having a bad day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan View Post
I've got a 950 with 45k on it and got it with about 18k on it. It's already had all the engine mods and the bulk of Pyndon knowledge put into it. The engine was rebuilt by him after some fuel confusion by the previous owner.

It's had a fairly hard life whilst in my ownership with off road tours of Morocco and competitions in the UK

The only time it's let me down is when the believed to be indestructible facet pump I fitted gave up and I didn't have a spare with me. Swapped back to the KTM one as at least you can normally make it get you home.

I think key thing with these motors is to keep on top of the maintenance, neglect it and you'll pay.

Chassis wise, not much goes wrong, even when heavily abused. Stick with KTM bearings as they seem to last much longer than other makes.

That's what I've learned in two years.
I need something that will do 150,000 miles of Adventure Touring with a lot of 60MPH to 90MPH cruising, millions of speed bumps, but not much off road. I also need something that aside from maintenance, I can depend on. South America and an Around the World trip are definitely in my plans. I am OK with carrying a few spares, but I don't want any major down time or engine over-hauls.

Unless and until my riding needs change, I will be looking to change motos, not necessarily brands, as they approach that amount of miles that a major rebuild might be necessary.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #28
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm fully aware poeple can rack up a lot of miles on their bikes, that's not my beef. In this case it just seams there are too many bikes, too many miles in too short of time that's all. Won't be the first time, nor the last, I've been wrong though.
What is your beef? I ride more than you?

Let me really mess with your head then! Most of the last ten years, I have been retired. Actually all except for four months, not including this year. I ALSO RODE 40,000 MILES PER YEAR ON AVERAGE the five or six years before I retired. The difference between now and then, is then it was mostly highway miles on Goldwings and now it is more south of the border and Canada/Alaska on Adventure Motos. My late wife and I did 10,000 miles in fifteen days once. Why? Because we wanted to do the four corners of the US and I had sixteen day off work. I laid the trip out to have one spare day. I guess we cheated a bit, we were just short of the 10,000 mile mark upon returning home, so we rode around a bit and timed it so we turned over 10,000 miles about 200 yards from our home.

BTW, the more you ride does not make you more of a motorcyclist! It simply means that you ride more.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #29
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I have a confession to make, I did some research! I have not averaged 40,000 miles per year for ten years, it has actually been 14 years!

Seriously, I don't know about other folks, but the first 25 plus years that I rode motorcycles I only accumulated about 75,000 miles on motos. Work, going to college while I worked, raising a daughter with my wife, and starting up manufacturing facilities occupied my time. By 1997, our daughter was out of college and married. I bought a 1997 Kawasaki Concurs. Ten months and 28,000 miles later we traded it in on a 1998 Goldwing. We were finally traveling the US as we had always planned after our daughter was on her own. Four and a half years later the 98 Goldwing with 172,000 miles was traded for a 2002 Goldwing. Then the KLR, R1100GS, KLX, and KTM followed.

I already had the plans for my wife and I to do Central and South America, followed by Europe.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,611
My 04 will endure . I'm hoping that it will one day hit the 100,000 mark with only regular maintiance and some usual wear items. So far, a rebuilt water pump , oil pressure sensor, molded oil pipe / valve and Oberon clutch upgrade has happened. Pretty darn good . On my next valve check I'll be upgrading the oil pressure bypass valve and checking all my hoses and fuel lines for faults.

My guess on doing high miles yearly will not be an issue for you. I think the worst thing you can do to a bike is let it sit., seems thats when running issues happen.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote