ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #46
Bronco3738
Mike
 
Bronco3738's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Just South of Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 496
Let the 908 break in a little and the head shake will go away. It's almost a universal occurrence. Put 908 on a 990 and get a weave at speed. As they break in you can go faster and faster before it sets in. Suspension does help but ultimatly its the tire. Suprised KTM mounted them stock with as many people that have experianced the issue.

On a side note they are a very stiff sidewall tire built for heavy rally bikes. The beifit to this is they help protect the front rim when all that weight comes smashing down on a rock at speed. They also seem to hold up well under the Adventures. I got about 5k miles out of my front ran in conjunction with a Mefo Super Explorer rear. Good combination for me. Currently it's on full set of 908s. Going to try the Pirreli Rally next. Heard they don't weave when new and also hold up well.

Also quick bit of advice to the new owners of 990s. Invest in a sidestand relocation bracket before you do a lot of off-roading. The sidestand is mounted to the engine cases. One inconvenient hit on a well placed rock and its an expensive leak to fix.

And the bike is willing to go through a lot rougher terrain then you think. Most fun bike I've ever owned.
__________________
2009 KTM 990

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah

Bronco3738 screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 04:05 PM
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #47
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jon6.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco3738 View Post
Let the 908 break in a little and the head shake will go away. It's almost a universal occurrence. Put 908 on a 990 and get a weave at speed. As they break in you can go faster and faster before it sets in. Suspension does help but ultimatly its the tire. Suprised KTM mounted them stock with as many people that have experianced the issue.

On a side note they are a very stiff sidewall tire built for heavy rally bikes. The beifit to this is they help protect the front rim when all that weight comes smashing down on a rock at speed. They also seem to hold up well under the Adventures. I got about 5k miles out of my front ran in conjunction with a Mefo Super Explorer rear. Good combination for me. Currently it's on full set of 908s. Going to try the Pirreli Rally next. Heard they don't weave when new and also hold up well.
I've already traded my 908 front off for help installing fork springs and doing my first oil change. You like the Mefo here in the Arizona desert? I ride in loose sandy washes and rocky trails. I'm just west of Phoenix off 331st Ave and my buddy also has a 990 Adventure that lives in Verrado. We should go ride sometime.
__________________
2013 KTM 990 Baja w/ Termignoni cans
2013 KTM 690 Duke w/ performance cam, airbox, and Akrapovic full system
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #48
Porkchops
n00b
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 5
Wink headshake

So I just completed a wet and snowy 1100 mile trip with new Pirelli scorpions and I'm happy to say no head shake. Set suspension to sport.
Secondarily I invested in Sidi crossfire boots and klm Badlands jacket and pants. Bone dry and warm. Worth every nickel
Porkchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #49
Bronco3738
Mike
 
Bronco3738's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Just South of Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
I've already traded my 908 front off for help installing fork springs and doing my first oil change. You like the Mefo here in the Arizona desert? I ride in loose sandy washes and rocky trails. I'm just west of Phoenix off 331st Ave and my buddy also has a 990 Adventure that lives in Verrado. We should go ride sometime.
I do like the Mefos. They seemed to work well for me out here. I ride a lot in The Florence, Superior, Globe area and sometimes out to Young. Lots of rocky trails and sand. Not quite the traction of the 908 but I'm sure it won't last nearly as long as the Mefo.

I live in Casa Grande, definately should ride sometime.
__________________
2009 KTM 990

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #50
FuTAnT
KTM 990ADV
 
FuTAnT's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Brisvegas, Oz - now Vancouver, BC, then back to Oz
Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Changed to the T63 in front and the death wobble is gone. Screw that 908 for highway riding. I'll save it for when I go to Colorado. I'll just carry it with me and swap tires once up there. I did 80-85 mph for 30 miles all the way home. A few blasts to 105 or so. It had a slight wobble at 100+, but just barely. Now I feel okay with putting a damper on it.
I must admit I raised my eyebrows when I saw the Baja edition being sold with a front 908RR. The rear is bad enough at making the bike dance around, but the front is even worse. It's been talked about to death, but the front springs are too soft and a re-valve to go with it works wonders. As for the back, the rear spring is too stiff and also a re-valve to go with a softer spring also works a treat. That will help immensely, and even after that (not that I'm a huge fan of them) a steering damper is also required for these if you want to settle it down off road / sand etc. It's all good if you know and you're prepared. It's money well spent in any case, but it would be nice if it was more balanced out of the box.

Oh, and back on topic, yes, the 908RR front will make it dance around quite a bit. I wouldn't recommend it. The Pirelli MT21 and the Pirelli Rally Scorpion are great. I never tried the T63, but if you're happy with it then that's great too.

Not too sure if they got it better on the 1190 ...
__________________
Cameron Corner - 6 Day Blast
FuTAnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #51
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 506
1200 miles later Jon, still no headshake. In Seattle now, sand dunes in Aberdeen tomorrow, woot! Should be fun as my Emig is sitting at home, lol!

Edit: my Klim badlands jacket sucks though. Snow storm on the way here with major rain... Leaked all down the front and on every zipper. Lame. Going to be looking for a different suit when I get home.
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #52
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jon6.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 542
Right on. I just installed the .62 fork springs today and did the first oil change. Now I need to go test it offroad. On the highway home it was stable.
__________________
2013 KTM 990 Baja w/ Termignoni cans
2013 KTM 690 Duke w/ performance cam, airbox, and Akrapovic full system
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #53
bauerboy
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: NoCal
Oddometer: 21
I am sure the suspension could use some tweaking; however as said, the front 908 is not a decent road tire. My local dealer told me he would not put the 13 out to demo with that front tire because it was dangerous. That said a lot to me when the dealer actually said something negative about their product. Well at least a product on their product.
bauerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #54
motocityktm
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Avondale, AZ
Oddometer: 96
Jon...how is it now?

How is the bike riding now after a few miles on the T63 we put on?

BTW...I spoke with KTM today...apparently they "forgot" to include the Supersprox rear sprocket from the factory. I am doing a warranty claim and ordering the sprocket today...FYI to any others who purchased a '13 Baja and did not get the rear sprocket.

Remember the sidestand relocation kit I told you about, also mentioned earlier in this thread, very important!
motocityktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #55
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jon6.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 542
It rides great with the T63 front. Thanks for getting the rear sprocket taken care of.
__________________
2013 KTM 990 Baja w/ Termignoni cans
2013 KTM 690 Duke w/ performance cam, airbox, and Akrapovic full system
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #56
crunchiespg
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Cochrane AB Canada
Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Edit: my Klim badlands jacket sucks though. Snow storm on the way here with major rain... Leaked all down the front and on every zipper. Lame. Going to be looking for a different suit when I get home.
that sucks. i just bought the badlands pants to go with my rallye 2 pro jacket.. i have never had a leak in either of them, with the disclaimer that the pants havent had major storms yet. but the jacket has been perfection in any weather. and the jacket was to be the replacement if my bmw one wears out..
__________________
'13 Yamaha WR250R
'12 KTM 990 Adventure
'09 R1200GS Adventure (sold)
'05 F650GS Dakar (sold)
Plus about 50 previous bikes in Europe...

crunchiespg screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 02:23 PM
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #57
MooseMagnet
MooseMagnet
 
MooseMagnet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Missoula, Montana
Oddometer: 4
2013 Baja 'head shake' knobbies issue

Just put the first 600 miles on the new bike. Ran about 100 of those miles of dirt. Lots of ancient bad tarmac in rural Montana. Tight twisties. Mountain roads. Ran up to 85 mph on smooth pavement. Yes, a bike with aggressive knobbies will track grooves and squrim around. This is normal compromise to have dirt capability, IMHO. If it freaks you out slow down and get more riding experience. Also wondering about people whining about wind buffeting. Yep, a visor on a DS or off-road helmet is not smooth in the airstream. Guess I just have ridden so many difficult conditions on all kinds of bikes in the past. Try no wind protection on a naked bike. Everything on a motorcycle has design compromises. My new Baja is a dream machine out of the box.
MooseMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #58
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
that sucks. i just bought the badlands pants to go with my rallye 2 pro jacket.. i have never had a leak in either of them, with the disclaimer that the pants havent had major storms yet. but the jacket has been perfection in any weather. and the jacket was to be the replacement if my bmw one wears out..
The badlands pants are great actually. Just the jacket leaked. They are replacing it :)

I miss my Rallye 2 suit though...
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #59
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb
 
kaptinkaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: 05-15-55-21W5M (Home is CowTown, AB)
Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMagnet View Post
Just put the first 600 miles on the new bike. Ran about 100 of those miles of dirt. Lots of ancient bad tarmac in rural Montana. Tight twisties. Mountain roads. Ran up to 85 mph on smooth pavement. Yes, a bike with aggressive knobbies will track grooves and squrim around. This is normal compromise to have dirt capability, IMHO. If it freaks you out slow down and get more riding experience. Also wondering about people whining about wind buffeting. Yep, a visor on a DS or off-road helmet is not smooth in the airstream. Guess I just have ridden so many difficult conditions on all kinds of bikes in the past. Try no wind protection on a naked bike. Everything on a motorcycle has design compromises. My new Baja is a dream machine out of the box.
"The best you know is the best you've rode."

I, too, notice no buffeting and the tires I notice, but am comfortable with. Everyone is different though and for some riders a squirmy bike on pavement sucks balls... I say ride what feels good! (You're damn right the 990 is a freaking dream out of the box... Been dying for one for 10 years and now that I have one someone will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands to get it away from me!!!)
__________________
'13 Honda CRF450X
'13 KTM 990 ADV Baja
'08 KTM 450 EXC-R
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #60
Skinner
Mr.KTM
 
Skinner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Lake county Il
Oddometer: 5,429
Ok, I know how to ride, not scared of headshake, but it was ridiculous on my new 990 Baja, just installed pirelli scorpions and all of the headshake disappeared totally. Smooth as silk!
On my 950 adv I had MT 21's there was no headshake but yes not as smooth but amazing off road. The problem with 50/50 tires is they suck at everything!
I just scored the scorps with complete wheel set attached , so i will get some Mt 21 for front and rear and just swap when needed!

PS. remove the abs plates before swapping the new wheel sets or it will chew up your speedo sensor!
__________________
You might be an ADVRider if:

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.


http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014