Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,319
Grand Canyon Loop; 2-Up

been dreaming of doing a big grand canyon loop since moving to arizona. finally got the bike for the task and will be leaving beginning of next week. my 14yr old daughter will be coming with me and we plan on making this an adventure to remember.

here is the plan...

day 1 - Tucson to Woods Canyon Lake (181 miles)
day 2 - Woods Canyon Lake to South Rim (243 miles)
day 3 - South Rim to North Rim (195 miles)
day 4 - North Rim to Grandma's House, Leeds UT (129 miles)
2 day liaison
Day 5 - Leeds to Tucson (601 miles! )

the first 2 days will be a majority of dirt roads except for the occasional bast down the road. the rest unfortunately are limited by time and availability. the last day is gonna be a butt killer, but by then i'm sure we will both be ready to be home and sleep in our own beds. plus, there are several options to shorten the day, i just wanted to avoid as much of phoenix and I-10 as possible. we will see how we feel when the time comes though...

my biggest concern has been gas and making sure that i'm not stuck on the side of the road with no station to be found. i believe (cross fingers) that i have it solved assuming all the gas stations are actually open and have gas.

second concern is that i have everything we will need. i have built a list over the last few days with supplies that i know i will need. now the trick is to make sure there is room for everything on the 990. we have done a couple mock runs and believe that we should have enough room but until we actually do the deed, you never quite know. theory is one thing, practice a whole 'nother.

so wish us luck. i will do my best to take pics and upload them as i can assuming i have decent cell coverage.

words of advice and caution of course are appreciated.

thanks,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote