Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #181
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Do you have a point?
Sorry my lame attempt at humor , I will go away now .
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #182
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Sorry my lame attempt at humor , I will go away now .

Are you calling me old?

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #183
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have now had a chance to sit on (but not ride) the FB6 and the Triumph Rocket III. As nice as the FB6 is, I'd go for the Triumph. The Rocket III tourer cost less, is simpler, and 500cc bigger, yet feels smaller.

As for ABS, I am a confirmed ABS hater. I also hate linked brakes as well, which the FB6 has. The reason? I want total control of the bike. The skill involved in riding a bike (and surviving) is a big part of the allure of riding a bike. Is ABS and LBS safer? Maybe. Maybe not. But it does not matter. That is not what riding a motorcycle is all about. A motorcycle is NOT a car. If safe transportation is what you want, get a luxury sedan with all the bells and whistles. If you want FUN, a motorcycle is the way to go, including all the dangers and inconveniences that go with it.

Why trust hydraulic brake systems when you can just drag your feet to slow down? If dirt-trackers can do it, so can you Jerry.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #184
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Why trust hydraulic brake systems when you can just drag your feet to slow down? If dirt-trackers can do it, so can you Jerry.
On smaller bikes I really would prefer cable/rod operated drums. I've accidentally cut the front brake line on my XT225 twice while riding off road. With a cable operated drum that would not have happened. I see no reason for a rear disc on anything but the heaviest bikes, which does include the FB6 and Rocket III. But I still want full control.

I DID ride almost 10,000 miles on a Honda Rebel 250 with NO rear brake. It was not intentional, I fabricated brackets to move the pegs and shifter 4" forward, and just never got around to fabricating a rear brake linkage. After a while, I realized I didn't need it.

Don't you wonder how people rode motorcycles and drove cars BEFORE ABS without getting killed? ABS is only contributing to the "dumbing down" of riders and drivers. They don't need to, so they never learn to use the brakes properly. And the ones that did learn will forget, and will be in real trouble when riding/driving a vehicle without ABS.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #185
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,944
Quote:
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #186
RedRocket

Quote:

Don't you wonder how people rode motorcycles and drove cars BEFORE ABS without getting killed? ABS is only contributing to the "dumbing down" of riders and drivers. They don't need to, so they never learn to use the brakes properly. And the ones that did learn will forget, and will be in real trouble when riding/driving a vehicle without ABS.

They got killed more often back in the day.
If you think things like ABS are unnessesary just ask your wife, daughter, or brother the meaning of 'threshold braking'.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #187
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
I have said it before and it bears repeating.

The F6B is like an elephant with out it's trunk. Pretty much use less.

And Honda was too cheapo to at least offer cruise control (on a touring rig, no less) as an option. Feh.

The Toad
I'm with the Toad. A touring rig HAS to have cruise control, ABS, a radio with satellite receiver.......Honda, when you finally figure out what century we're in, I may look at you product. But, probably not.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #188
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
I'm still trying to figure out how Honda came up with their base price of $20k when a base Goldwing with all the extra goodies is just a hair under $24k. Here's a good start to the list of standard Goldwing goodies the F6B doesn't come with...

Computer Controlled Rear Shock Pre-load w/2 Presets
Cruise Control
Power Headlamp Adjustment
Trunk/backrest/rear speakers
Nice King/Queen seat
Electric Reverse
Heated Grips
Heated Seat
Foot Warmers
Passenger Floorboards
Tall Vented Windscreen
Center Stand

With a laundry list of omitted options like that I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say the price difference should be a lot more than $4,000. As much as I like the looks of the F6B, if I were in the market to buy today I'd buy a Goldwing as it's the better buy. And I'll go ahead and predict now that the F6B won't hold it's value nearly as well as the GW does.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #189
mngl1500
[]

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how Honda came up with their base price of $20k when a base Goldwing with all the extra goodies is just a hair under $24k. Here's a good start to the list of standard Goldwing goodies the F6B doesn't come with...

Cruise Control
Nice King/Queen seat
Electric Reverse
Heated Grips
Heated Seat
Foot Warmers
Passenger Floorboards
Tall Vented Windscreen
Center Stand

With a laundry list of omitted options like that I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say the price difference should be a lot more than $4,000. As much as I like the looks of the F6B, if I were in the market to buy today I'd buy a Goldwing as it's the better buy. And I'll go ahead and predict now that the F6B won't hold it's value nearly as well as the GW does.
You forgot:
self canceling turn signals
factory configured place to put the cb (which goes in the rear trunk)
mngl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #190
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:

Cruise Control
Nice King/Queen seat
Electric Reverse
Heated Grips
Heated Seat
Foot Warmers
Passenger Floorboards
Tall Vented Windscreen
Center Stand

That's very hard logic to fault.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #191
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,233
Quote:

Cruise Control
Nice King/Queen seat
Electric Reverse
Heated Grips
Heated Seat
Foot Warmers
Passenger Floorboards
Tall Vented Windscreen
Center Stand

Very good points. I rode a F6B and have ridden a Gold Wing. I traded a DL650 and now have the F6B in the garage.

The Deluxe has heated hand grips and I expect the aftermarket to address the CC issue. The seat on the F6B was more comfortable for me. I always felt the GW was cramped. I don't want to pay for or carry around anything else on that list.

It came down to the motor and how the bike felt to me. I was not going to buy a Gold Wing. I would be on a HD Road Glide if Honda hadn't released the F6B. As far as resale values go, I've probably lost enough on trades and sales to buy 2-3 Gold Wings. Why buck the trend now.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #192
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Very good points. I rode a F6B and have ridden a Gold Wing. I traded a DL650 and now have the F6B in the garage.

The Deluxe has heated hand grips and I expect the aftermarket to address the CC issue. The seat on the F6B was more comfortable for me. I always felt the GW was cramped. I don't want to pay for or carry around anything else on that list.

It came down to the motor and how the bike felt to me. I was not going to buy a Gold Wing. I would be on a HD Road Glide if Honda hadn't released the F6B. As far as resale values go, I've probably lost enough on trades and sales to buy 2-3 Gold Wings. Why buck the trend now.
I wouldn't miss most of that stuff either. In fact, the cruise control and the Deluxe options would pretty much cover my needs (ABS would be nice to have). However, having installed an aftermarket CC on a couple bikes now and knowing their limitations/pitfalls, the lack of it from the factory on the F6B is a real deal killer for me at this point. Maybe Honda will see the error in their ways and fix that for 2014, but I won't hold my breath.

And if you want complete honesty, even the F6B is more bike than I really want/need and I'd be just as happy with something very similar in a 800-1000cc version that puts out 90-100hp. A modernized version of the old GL650 Silver Wing if you will - with CC of course. 98% of my riding is solo so I don't need the extra size and power of the GW or F6B, but there's really nothing else out there that compares to either in terms of comfort and features that isn't a cruiser.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #193
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
I am very familiar with "threshold braking" having been practicing it for over 40 years under all kinds of conditions. Not once have I dropped a bike on the street.

Ever since I got my first Goldwing, a 1200LTD several years ago, and joined several Goldwing forums, I noticed they all had a thing for gadgets. I have always wanted a real Goldwing without a single gadget, even "must have" stuff like a stereo, cruise control, on board air compressor, trip computers, intercoms, etc. Most Goldwing riders would not buy one without reverse. REVERSE!!?? On a motorcycle? You've got to be kidding. Sadly they are not. I recently sold one with reverse, though I never used it. It was very fragile and prone to failure, and could damage the starter and transmission when it failed.

The original base model 1980 Interstate did not have anything on it that any other motorcycle didn't have, other than the fairing, trunk, and bags. The fairing had a lot of storage pockets which came in handy, but not a single button, knob, or speaker. It had air suspension, but you had to use an outside air source. It was a motorcycle, not a 2 wheeled car. I think if Honda would get rid of ALL the gadgets, they could sell the Goldwing for the same or less than the FB6.

However, unless I missed something, you can STILL buy a new Goldwing without the dreaded ABS. Yes, the dreaded part is my opinion, but I have found quite a few others who have the same opinion.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #194
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,296
Have you ever even ridden a bike with ABS? I have and I'll be damned if I can even tell it's there... Well, to be honest, I have intentionally attempted to lock the rear a few times just to see what would happen, but as hard as I feel comfortable pushing the front on dry pavement I've yet to feel it kick in. SO, what's the big deal? The knowledge that I have a system that I've never used doesn't diminish the fun I get out of riding that bike one iota.

It really isn't for "normal" use and events. It's intended for that one time when you brain fart, as all of your attention is focused on that car that just turned left in front of you just as you hit a slick spot in the road. If you've never tucked the front on a bike, you really have NO idea how fast things can go to shit!

For all intents and purposes, it's a lot like an airbag... not there unless you need it. If you don't need it then it won't activate and you'll never know the difference. Perhaps that will never happen, in which case you'd be just fine since you could pretend your bike didn't even have it. BUT, if you ever DID need it, and it activated and helped save your bacon, I think you might be mighty glad it was there after all...

Safety features aren't a bad thing. Once upon a time cars didn't have seat belts either. And how many people pissed and moaned when they came out? How many pissed and moaned when seat belt laws were instituted? How many lives have been saved because of seat belts and better structural engineering of modern cars? ABS is just a logical extension of this. It's about making it safer, not less fun. And you do still have full control over your bike... right up until the point where you either do something really dumb, or the totally unexpected catches you with your pants down. Do you really want to die in either event? You can practice threshold braking all you want on nice pavement when you're concentrating 100% on the task at hand. It's another thing all together when the shit hits the fan and you have 0.14 seconds to engage your brain, and when a whole lot of things other than braking is vying for your attention in that instant. Similar to shooting well at the range when punching holes in paper. The target becomes a whole lot harder to hit when it starts shooting back.

Now, with that said, a bike NOT having ABS is neither a requisite nor a deterrent for me wanting it. If it's offered I'd probably take the ABS model just for that added safety cushion, just in case. If it wasn't offered, and I still liked the bike, then so be it, I'd do just fine without ABS too, I'm sure. Of seven bikes in my garage now, only one has ABS, so obviously I'm comfortable riding bikes without. But I sure as hell ain't bitchin' cause that one does have it either. I really can think of several arguments for ABS but really I can't think of not one valid argument against it.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #195
RedRocket

Quote:
They got killed more often back in the day.
If you think things like ABS are unnessesary just ask your wife, daughter, or brother the meaning of 'threshold braking'.
Quote:
I am very familiar with "threshold braking" having been practicing it for over 40 years under all kinds of conditions. Not once have I dropped a bike on the street.

However, unless I missed something, you can STILL buy a new Goldwing without the dreaded ABS. Yes, the dreaded part is my opinion, but I have found quite a few others who have the same opinion.

Don't dodge the point Jerry, I know that You know about threshold braking, but what about the others, Jerry.