User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
jpbellavance OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Broken Off Channel Opening Where Cylinder Head Screw Goes Through

I recently bought a 1986 R65 BMW. When I went to adjust the valves I noticed that the previous owner had done a fix to his right cylinder head nut channel so that I assume oil would not leak out of it. It was basically a high heat type of gummy substance that would not detoriate and allow oil to pass through the channel.

I wanted to replace the gaskets on the cylinder head and this gummy stuff had to come off. The question I have is what type of gummy stuff do you think was used to create the seal. Or what should I use to create another temporary seal.

Or are there other solutions out there I could try without buying a whole new cylinder body?

Thanks in advance for any help. Attached is a pic of what I have to work with.

KillerBeeMoto.Com: Offering original motorcyle t-shirt designs and related motorcyle gear.
jpbellavance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,061
I would try using a copper washer and self locking nut on the stud first.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,394
get someone to build up aluminum again with a welder. It wouldn't take long at all to build it up and file and then sand it flat again.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
jpbellavance OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
I would try using a copper washer and self locking nut on the stud first.
Would this create a seal? If so how? Thanks. I like this idea but was hoping you could elaborate on it a bit.

Thanks,
JPB

KillerBeeMoto.Com: Offering original motorcyle t-shirt designs and related motorcyle gear.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,643
The welded with Aluminum is the best idea. There are a number of fair welders around that can do this but maybe more volunteers than those capable. Try to get a reference. I really think you might get it done cheaper than you think but you are going to have to do the filing part and it will require a pretty large quality file to do right.

In lieu of the quality Aluminum repair, how are you with forming epoxy? This would work too.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 457
JB Weld. I do it again. Which is basically what disston said but omitted the brand name.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
If it was my bike I'd have it welded then re-faced.If you aren't confident enough to use a file to clean the face have a machine shop do it,shouldn't be too expensive.
If you dont want to go that route you could use J-B Weld,many have fixed bigger problems with it.I prefer the stick over the epoxy.

John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbellavance View Post
I recently bought a 1986 R65 BMW. When I went to adjust the valves I noticed that the previous owner had done a fix to his right cylinder head nut channel so that I assume oil would not leak out of it. It was basically a high heat type of gummy substance that would not detoriate and allow oil to pass through the channel.

I wanted to replace the gaskets on the cylinder head and this gummy stuff had to come off. The question I have is what type of gummy stuff do you think was used to create the seal. Or what should I use to create another temporary seal.

Or are there other solutions out there I could try without buying a whole new cylinder body?

Thanks in advance for any help. Attached is a pic of what I have to work with.
That doesn't lake any pressure so there is a quick easy repair that will last forever.

First get the gummy stuff off and completely clean and roughen the metal. A small ball cutter in a dremel will work well, just go over the area with the ball exposing fresh metal.

Now you need a bolt that will go through the head, a pair of regular washers, a fender washer and some wax. Wax up the shank of the bolt and the fender washer. Two coats with drying in-between. Then you need some JB weld. Plenty strong and good adhesion. Mix it up and apply to the area so it's nice and high everywhere. Now put a washer on the waxed bolt, then the waxed fender washer and stuff it in from the outside, then another washer and the nut. Tighten the nut hand tight---just enough to get that fender washer seated on the head surface with no JB weld between it and the good sealing surface.

let it harden well then pop out the bolt and washers. You will have molded a new sealing surface that matches the existing. Clean up as needed and It's done.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,866
My /7 came with that situation repaired w/ JBweld. I've had it for several years w/ no issues. No idea how long it was repaired before my tenure but, based on the general lack of maintenance, probably quite a while.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
jpbellavance OP
Adventurer

Thanks all for the great suggestions! I will let you know how it all works out. Again. Thanks!

JPB

Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 813
If you're just looking for opinions,...... leave it alone.

If it leaks oil on the back side, fit a fiber washer under the nut and washer. You will be able to ride it for miles and miles even years and years without any trouble. The next time the heads are off for a re-build, have the head welded and re-surfaced. Until then, it's not hurting a thing.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
If you're just looking for opinions,...... leave it alone.

If it leaks oil on the back side, fit a fiber washer under the nut and washer. You will be able to ride it for miles and miles even years and years without any trouble. The next time the heads are off for a re-build, have the head welded and re-surfaced. Until then, it's not hurting a thing.
Pokie's solution is the simplest and likely will work just fine with the fiber washer sealing the oil in.
Should you choose Plaka's method make darn sure that none of the aluminum ends up in your valvetrain to be washed into the engine through the pushrod tubes.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Pokie's solution is the simplest and likely will work just fine with the fiber washer sealing the oil in.
Should you choose Plaka's method make darn sure that none of the aluminum ends up in your valvetrain to be washed into the engine through the pushrod tubes.
I'd pull the rockers and pushrods, stuff the holes then flush very well after the epoxy work and any final grinding or filing..especially around the springs.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote