Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 889
Hey man, congrats on the new /5! I just bought my first in January and have slowly been taking care of nagging problems-such as the tachometer not working! I took my gauge apart this weekend, bought some new needles from Terry (Wirespokes), cleaned it, lubed it, and put it back together. I was also fortunate enough to find a donor gauge at the British and European Classic Motorcycle Day to replace the indicator lenses and supply tach parts. I now have a working tachometer! The speedometer worked previously, but I had to guess at my speed without a needle. The odometer wheels now have paint on them. It was easy to fix-I only used a screwdriver, a punch, and a small hammer with the punch to take everything apart and put it back together. The whole project cost about $70-way cheaper than the cheapest quote I got to send it off for repair.

As there is no dampener in the gauge, shouldn't a little needle wobble be normal? Bad sounds and wild fluctuations are definitely bad...
Beezer Josh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #17
shmangzy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
glad to hear your fixin up yours too, definitely having a lot of fun with the projects. Yeah I wouldnt mind a slight wobble or a bit of an inaccurate speed but my speedo is way past that. I pulled the speedo and tach cables the other day so I can ride without causing my damage (just have to guess the speed, at least I have a good excuse when I get pulled over) but I think I'm going to take a peak at it this weekend but most likely send it away to get rebuilt by someone who knows a little more than me.

I also had the bike sitting for about 5 days because of all the rain over here in Vermont and when I went to take it out yesterday the engine would turn over and turn over and turn over....sounding right but never actually fire up. almost fired up but not quite. I havent had any starting problems prior to this but I pulled the battery and found two of the cells very low of fluid so I filled them up with distilled water and put it on the charger for the night and hopefully tomorrow it will fire up
shmangzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #18
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 889
If you look just underneath the needle and its black hub, can you see parts of the copper spring poking out of either the tach or the speedo? It's where the red arrow is...the needle's hub doesn't show that well in the photo.

Beezer Josh is online now   Reply With Quote