Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #2476
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post

But it would be nice if they at least posted teaser pics of parts being assembled etc, or kept some type of blog going just so people know something is happening down there.

I guess that's my point... just something to keep the embers glowing for those with a casual but legitimate interest...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #2477
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,469
Why doesn't someone who lives near the "factory" do a ride by and snap a few spy shots for us.

I would but it's 38 hours away.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #2478
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 880
Well...

deadhorse by Shooter158, on Flickr

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #2479
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,299
I've said this before ;

How friggin' long do think it should take to build a production bike from scratch?
It's been about 3 1/2 years so far, that seems pretty normal to me.

When did we first start hearing about Horex? Just like Motus dropping DI, Horex has stepped away from the supercharger on theirs.

Maybe Motus just doesn't care enough about daily email updates for all of you non-buyers.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #2480
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The motorcycle mags will be all over this bike when it hits. That will bring enough hype for the target market. Expect the same social media/mag media hype as before. You only need 200-400 sales a year if you believe the mfg targets stated early on (directly from the founders).
I think you're right about that, but have to say, if you're only going to sell 200-400 units a year, it's foolish to have 'dealers'. Why share the profits for that low of a volume. Might as well throw in a factory tour and have people fly and ride or toss in free truck freight delivery for $30k+.

The biggest problem Motus will have when and if they do get production bikes out, is that the Mags will do a shoot out with other Sport Touring bikes like the FJR and C-14, R1200RT and while the Motus will be sexy as hell, it will be the only chain drive bike and the C14 will probably walk away from it, if not the FJR too. Hp on paper is one thing, in the real world, it's another. Not to mention all the other aspects they will compare. Bolt on Givi bags on a $30k bike don't look that... inspired.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #2481
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
I think you're right about that, but have to say, if you're only going to sell 200-400 units a year, it's foolish to have 'dealers'. Why share the profits for that low of a volume. Might as well throw in a factory tour and have people fly and ride or toss in free truck freight delivery for $30k+.

The biggest problem Motus will have when and if they do get production bikes out, is that the Mags will do a shoot out with other Sport Touring bikes like the FJR and C-14, R1200RT and while the Motus will be sexy as hell, it will be the only chain drive bike and the C14 will probably walk away from it, if not the FJR too. Hp on paper is one thing, in the real world, it's another. Not to mention all the other aspects they will compare. Bolt on Givi bags on a $30k bike don't look that... inspired.
Factory tour to see your bike being build would be great PR! Sort of like the BMW tours way back in the 80's (not sure if the do that anymore).
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #2482
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
I think you're right about that, but have to say, if you're only going to sell 200-400 units a year, it's foolish to have 'dealers'. Why share the profits for that low of a volume.

I would think that a lot of people would be reluctant to buy a bike with no dealer network. Parts, service, warranty, etc. Yeah, I realize it's been done before, but I do think that having a network in place sorta builds credibility in the minds of potential customers. I know that I often hear that complaint about some other brands, where the person like it says, "but the nearest dealer is 400 mile away..."

Just one of the many aspects they have to consider when attempting to launch a new brand...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #2483
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
Factory tour to see your bike being build would be great PR! Sort of like the BMW tours way back in the 80's (not sure if the do that anymore).
Chevrolet had that program where you could help assemble your Corvette engine. Something like that would generate good PR for Motus.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #2484
soggysandwich
Banned

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Anybody heard anything lately?
call Riders Hill in Dahlonega Ga.. they are big Fans of the MOTUS and a Dealer of all things MOTUS. I ask about it every time i am in there.
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #2485
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
Chevrolet had that program where you could help assemble your Corvette engine. Something like that would generate good PR for Motus.
Or they could just ship you a box of parts and let you assemble your bike in your very own garage.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #2486
live2fly
Reluctant Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
If you are talking about the BMW Motorrad factory in Berlin, then yes they still do tours. My wife and I took the tour when we were in Germany 2 years ago. It was awesome.
live2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #2487
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Or they could just ship you a box of parts and let you assemble your bike in your very own garage.
Of course any of these things require that they actually have the parts.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #2488
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
Of course any of these things require that they actually have the parts.
That's what I was thinking about a tour. Nothing to see.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #2489
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,637
All you have to do is ask

I sent an email through Motus' web site, Lee Conn (president) responded:

"thanks for the note. We will be releasing the production bikes very soon and dealers will begin taking deliveries late this summer/fall. We will definitely be doing the Barber Vintage Fest again this year, it's our favorite event. As for tours, absolutely. Anytime after July, just let us know when you may be in our area and we'd be glad to have you by Motus HQ (located in the original Barber museum location). All our dealers are taking reservations now for 2013 MST's."

He also sent some audio files of a bike doing a flyby....cool.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #2490
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I sent an email through Motus' web site, Lee Conn (president) responded:

"thanks for the note. We will be releasing the production bikes very soon and dealers will begin taking deliveries late this summer/fall. We will definitely be doing the Barber Vintage Fest again this year, it's our favorite event. As for tours, absolutely. Anytime after July, just let us know when you may be in our area and we'd be glad to have you by Motus HQ (located in the original Barber museum location). All our dealers are taking reservations now for 2013 MST's."

He also sent some audio files of a bike doing a flyby....cool.
That's cool news. All I work on are projects that seem to take twice as long to get done as originally hoped. So I'll cut Motus some slack.

Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote