Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholz View Post
23 mile night stage! This should be interesting.

This was my first rallymoto last year, and everyone was really helpful when I hadn't a clue what I was doing

23 mile night stage on a bike is going to be exhausting...invest in some good LED lights and light up as much as you can so you can focus on the road and not straining to see what might be the road.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #32
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 422
Working on my new Rally ride over in Some Assembly Req'd.

Should be doing some shakedown rides over the next couple weeks to see if it works well enough in the dirt.

Entrepre-neer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #33
poondangle OP
Slow

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post

Should be doing some shakedown rides over the next couple weeks to see if it works well enough in the dirt.

That's pretty bad-ass right there. I'm glad I don't have to pick it though. That engine is almost as heavy as your KTM?
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #34
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,062
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #35
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,807
Holy crap!!! That is rad!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #36
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
That's pretty bad-ass right there. I'm glad I don't have to pick it though. That engine is almost as heavy as your KTM?
It's definitely a pig in the weight department but luckily it carries it low.
At least for now. I'll be doing some suspension work that should give an inch or two more clearance. We'll see if that makes things better or worse.

I'm sure I'll be able to let you know what it's like to pick it up soon enough.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
brent tex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Fuel requirement moto?

Anyone know off the top of their heads what kind of fuel range a bike would need to enter. Thinking of doing it on my stock 450exc, race speed range is prolly 75+ miles.
Thanks.
brent tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #38
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent tex View Post
Anyone know off the top of their heads what kind of fuel range a bike would need to enter. Thinking of doing it on my stock 450exc, race speed range is prolly 75+ miles.
Thanks.
The preliminary race agenda over on page 1 of this thread shows a couple of loops over 100 miles with the longest bieing 111.45 between service stops. It's a 65 mile transit to the first two stages that get run forward then a service and then teh first two stages backward. service. Then a 65 mile transit to a 23+ mile stage, then a 23 mile transit to the snowshoe service. Let me know if I'm reading that wrong guys.

You will probably want to carry some fuel in a fuel bottle at least.

What year is your exc? I have a 3.4 gal tank that fits 03-07 you could borrow.

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759
Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #39
brent tex
Gnarly Adventurer

Its a 09 exc unfortunately, but thanks for the offer, very generous.
Would I be allowed to carry fuel?? Also I have to think if I really want to drive the 20+ hours from Key West each way. Did the Sandblast in 2010 and it was a blast. This could just be a little summer break from the heat and humidity.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #40
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Would I be allowed to carry fuel?? Also I have to think if I really want to drive the 20+ hours from Key West each way. Did the Sandblast in 2010 and it was a blast. This could just be a little summer break from the heat and humidity.
You could put some fuel in a fender bag or a tank bag or something similar and dump it in after transit. I had a buddy at sandblast do that for his crf250. Regs say you can't carry it on you body like in a backpack for safety in case you would crash and catch fire

Mountain weather is great in July. Come on out and beat the heat and enjoy some amazing twisty dirt roads. Two days of racing is a whole different animal.

Key West sounds nice too though. How's the riding down there?

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759
Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #41
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
For those of you who've done RWV b/f is there a "center of action" and lodging that is close to it? Where most people stay? What lodging is closest to registration/HQ/NCO/start/end? What kind of parking/staging area is there for tow vehicle, trailer, and bike?

Working on my total rally plan and trying to optimize logistics while not killing the budget too badly... my goal is to stay central to the activities and minimize time/distance/hassle getting to registration, NCO, rally start.

I prefer to save all the confusion and anxiety of figuring out where to go and when to be there for the actual stages

Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #42
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,062
There are cheaper options farther away, but I've always talked 6-8 other riders into sharing one of the condos at the top of the mountain, right in the Snowshoe resort. Its a short walk to the breakfast/beer place, tech and reg, and service. "Logger's Run" is the place I've stayed, but I simply checked out VRBO for Snowshoe and looked around. I figured if I could get 8-10 people to share a 6-8 bedrooom for 800 bucks for the weekend, its costing roughly $35-50/night, over three nights which is the best I could manage. Its summertime at the ski resort, so unless there is a giant bicycle race at the top of the hill like last time, parking a trailer is usually no problem. It wasnt even a problem then, as i recall.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #43
Arete
Dark Horse

Oddometer: 9
Fuel

Quote:
I've done this on a BMW 450 with a race range of 50 miles.... I carry (2) 1-liter MSR bottles in a Wolfman enduro bag bolted to my rear fender....

You will have time to top off after the stage...at start of transit....there are also a few times you pass a gas station along the transit. You can refuel then and will have plenty of time to make your minute.
Arete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #44
Arete
Dark Horse

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
It looks like, 66 miles into the 70 mile initial transit there is an optional refuel opportunity as well.
Arete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #45
brent tex
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arete View Post
It looks like, 66 miles into the 70 mile initial transit there is an optional refuel opportunity as well.
Thanks for the info.