User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #76
goldfinger
goldfinger

Oddometer: 192
Tyre pressure sensor

Can anyone tell me wether the R bike just has a warning light to indicate low pressure or does it indicate PSi reading for front and back wheels on the dash like the BMW's .
I cannot seem to find anything on my dash that shows a reading only a setting for PSi . Thanks
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #77
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger View Post
Can anyone tell me wether the R bike just has a warning light to indicate low pressure or does it indicate PSi reading for front and back wheels on the dash like the BMW's .
I cannot seem to find anything on my dash that shows a reading only a setting for PSi . Thanks
Indicates exact psi reading of both front and rear tyres
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #78
goldfinger
goldfinger

Where abouts does this show in the dash . Call me stupid .
Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #79
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Can't help yourself Danny!!!

Look after this bike just like your last one......it looks so I good I could be pushed into orange in a couple of years!!!

Although saying that, the Tiger and I are getting along fantastically - cheers
I'm on the same situation, eyeing the 1190 from a Tiger 800 XC. I like the Tiger but I have a strong feeling I will like the 1190 Adventure better.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #80
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Amazing shots, great write up of the bike, looking forward to more.

I've been searching for a 990R while there may still be one available somewhere, now I'm thinking maybe I'll just hang on until next year...

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #81
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger View Post
Where abouts does this show in the dash . Call me stupid .
It has its own page on the menu as you scroll through so its pretty easy to find. If it doesn't come up, check the plug under the seat ....
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #82
goldfinger
goldfinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
It has its own page on the menu as you scroll through so its pretty easy to find. If it doesn't come up, check the plug under the seat ....
Thanks . I will check the plug . I get the feeling the option may need to be activated if it's plugged in under the seat .
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #83
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
You can also put tyre pressure monitors on your favourite menu. It's good to keep an eye on the tyres.if its not activated yet you might need to take her to the dealer to plug in to the computer.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #84
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
After shaking hands with the dealer - the clouds looked very dark and night was falling. I noticed right away the headlight is daylight sensitive and once out of the shop the headlight went off - (the rider manual shows the headlight switch has more positions than it actually has and in AU that leaves you with the "V" Light and low beam controlled by some hidden sensor) As I rode back in traffic in the dark I clearly saw the headlight come back on as it decided to go "on" and illuminated the car infront on me - Is there anyway to use the orange program key to set it to permanently on?
G'Day Ozi,

I just had the first service done at Dalby Moto and they are working with KTM to find a solution to the light issue. There is no way to permanently leave the ordinary lights on unfortunately. They uploaded a software update and I was hoping that might sort out the on / off thing but it didn't. Seems like something they probably should get right soon as it is a bit daunting when the lights go out. The only solution at the moment is to go to settings and turn the DRL light option to Off every time you start the bike at night. Bit of a pain because you have to be stationery to do so, but definitely a lot safer.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #85
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
Hay Danny (Boy) the pipes the pipes are calling.............

What are you thinking about the noise? Are the Cats still in the muffler?
I wasn't all that enthused about the Akrapovic Pipe when I first heard it with the bungs in but yesterday I took one for a spin that had the bungs surgically removed and holy dooley, it sounded awesome. Dunno if it sounded $1,680 AUD awesome though

From what they told me, taking the baffles out isn't too big a job unless you want the option of re-using them. After riding it uncorked, I don't think that would be an issue for most
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #86
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater18 View Post
One question I have; What kind of range are you getting? With my 990 I have to carry extra gas on some of our rides. I'm only getting around 170 miles/tank (274 km) riding loaded for weekend camping. In a perfect world, I'd love to see 220 mi (350 km) plus out of a stock tank. However, riding conservative to max your gas milage just isn't possible on a big KTM!
G'Day,

Fuel economy is a lot better than I anticipated. Having heard some horror stories about 990's with drinking problems I wasn't optimistic but so far I am averaging anywhere between 13 - 17km/l on mixed dirt and tar. 13kpl (30mpg) might not seem like a lot but riding my Arrow mapped Tiger 800 on similar terrain (albeit probably a little slower) was returning around 11kpl. On a long wet bitumen ride home last night, it was averaging close to 18kpl so I think 400km is not out of the question when taking it easy. For me though, I am just happy to see that it will comfortably make 300km+ when ridden in the dirt and that is enough to cover most situations until you start heading west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater18 View Post
That 700 looks sweet! Doubt we ever see them here in the states...
The 700 is a kit being put together by some enterprising Australian's so with a bit of luck you might have the ability build one on the other side of the pond somewhere down the track.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #87
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
@BurrenRider - did you consider the Kenda tubeless Big Block 21" for the front? Or do you prefer the extra weight of the scorpion/tube better for slow stuff?
I am a bit fussy with front tyres so I was happy to put a tube in and run a tyre I knew and trusted. The front rim received it's first dint within 500km's so I suspect I will end up running a tube type Excel rim later on.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #88
Scutty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Awesome thread - great photos and information. I am so close to trading my SMT in for an 1190R
My bike anthology: BMW G450X, BMW R1200GSA LC, KTM 690 Enduro R, Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha XT600E, KTM 990 SM-T, Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki SV1000, Kawasaki Zx7-R, Honda VFR800, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha RD350, Yamaha DT175, Honda CM125, Kawasaki AR125, Kawasaki AE50 - wow I have owned a lot of bikes
Scutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #89
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Radiator Protection

Similar to most water cooled adventure bikes, the radiator on the 1190 looks a bit vulnerable. I have used Radguard products on previous bikes and they were quick to manufacture a guard for the KTM so I ordered one. The fit is good and I think it will offer a solid level of protection.

You will need to pull the crashbars off the R model to bolt it on and while doing this, I noticed that the brake cables have been rubbing on them already.

Figuring that brake cables are an important safety item, I bought a short length of automotive heater hose and ziptied it into place on re-assembly.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #90
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

SW Motech Sidestand Extension

It's only a little thing but I am really happy about this addition. No more watching the bike sink into the earth when leaned against the sidestand. It's amazing what a bit of extra surface area does. This one is the same unit that is used on the 990's and it bolted up nicely with good clearance to the swingarm and centrestand. I had another brand on a previous bike and it rattled loose pretty quickly so I cut some rubber and put it between the sidestand and the foot. I figure this might keep some tension on things but that may just be wishful thinking. Either way, I think this is a more robust design and will hold up pretty well.