Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #571
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
I don't think it should be a problem as long as you have the script signed by the doc with you. On my recent trip I had my bags inspected at only one border and that was very cursory. Never a question about prescriptions.

Thanks for the input....I appreciate it!

Steve
Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #572
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Hey guys,

Thanks for the thoughtful input about the drugs I will be taking South. Just to clarify, the meds are: Losartan for high blood pressure, Omeprazole for chronic heartburn, and to a lesser degree Ativan which will probably sit in my panniers for the duration...

Based on what I'm reading here, I will have my pharmacist give me a six month supply and just carry it with me, along with the original Rx, and copies...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #573
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for the thoughtful input about the drugs I will be taking South. Just to clarify, the meds are: Losartan for high blood pressure, Omeprazole for chronic heartburn, and to a lesser degree Ativan which will probably sit in my panniers for the duration...

Based on what I'm reading here, I will have my pharmacist give me a six month supply and just carry it with me, along with the original Rx, and copies...

Cheers,
Steve

According to Wiki Omeprazole is Prilosec and that's over the counter in the states and many other countries. Not sure how much you pay but I take Rantidine every so often (Prilosec is next to it on the counter) and it's pretty cheap at the WalMart.

Losartan, once again according to Wiki, is prescribed to folks who, among other things, don't tolerate an ACE inhibitor well. I have a prescription for an ACE inhibitor and one quirk that I have discovered is that despite what a couple of nurse friends have told me the bp drug that I take (Lisinopril) is much more expensive in Mexico than at the local Walgreens if you have their drug card. Appearantly all of those ACE inhibitors are pricey Down South. Just a data point but not everything is cheaper south of the border.

So yeah ... you are taking a wise course of action to pack them and document them.

Good luck!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #574
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
According to Wiki Omeprazole is Prilosec and that's over the counter in the states and many other countries. Not sure how much you pay but I take Rantidine every so often (Prilosec is next to it on the counter) and it's pretty cheap at the WalMart.

Losartan, once again according to Wiki, is prescribed to folks who, among other things, don't tolerate an ACE inhibitor well. I have a prescription for an ACE inhibitor and one quirk that I have discovered is that despite what a couple of nurse friends have told me the bp drug that I take (Lisinopril) is much more expensive in Mexico than at the local Walgreens if you have their drug card. Appearantly all of those ACE inhibitors are pricey Down South. Just a data point but not everything is cheaper south of the border.

So yeah ... you are taking a wise course of action to pack them and document them.

Good luck!
Thanks...oddly enough, it is cheaper to purchase Omeprazole via RX than it is to buy it over the counter here in So Cal. I did take Lisinopril, but it didn't lower my BP as the Losartan does...

Kind of frustrating...I am not overweight, exercise regularly, don't smoke or drink and still, without meds, the BP is WAY high. Go figure.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #575
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Regarding Ciprofloxacin stability. All I could tell you is whatever the manufacturer states in the package insert. The temperature range limitations are usually common indoor storage temps. If cipro were the drug I wanted to rely on I would just get a fresh supply for each trip. As it deteriorates it basically just becomes less effective. Not what you really want. However, in all honesty I 've taken stuff thats been poorly stored and expired for over five years with no negative effects (ymmv).Think about this also; one of the potential side effects of ciprofloxacin is tendon rupture. I doubt you want that. It easy enough to rupture tendons in a "get off".
If you ask your doc about this side effect, he'll probably say he's never seen it and that may be true. But....do you want to be the first one he's seen ?

acejones screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 04:23 PM
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #576
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Think about this also; one of the potential side effects of ciprofloxacin is tendon rupture. I doubt you want that. It easy enough to rupture tendons in a "get off".
If you ask your doc about this side effect, he'll probably say he's never seen it and that may be true. But....do you want to be the first one he's seen ?
My mom's Dr. also had never seen this side effect until he had to take Mom off it when tendon pain set it after less than two weeks. Best to stay away from this one if you ride, IMO.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #577
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
My mom's Dr. also had never seen this side effect until he had to take Mom off it when tendon pain set it after less than two weeks. Best to stay away from this one if you ride, IMO.
My observation was most docs just didn't connect tendon problems with cipro and when I brought it up they blew me off. The ones that usually believed were ER docs or Orthopedic guys.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #578
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Panama to Columbia bike shipping - Capt Jacks
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759804
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #579
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Tendon tears

Think about this also; one of the potential side effects of ciprofloxacin is tendon rupture. I doubt you want that. It easy enough to rupture tendons in a "get off".
If you ask your doc about this side effect, he'll probably say he's never seen it and that may be true. But....do you want to be the first one he's seen ?[/QUOTE]

This is very interesting about Cipro, the med of choice for severe turista.

I can certainly vouch for tendon tearing as a result of a big GS tip over. Meniscus, ACL, sprained MCL. The recovery not hugely fun. 3800 miles in Mexico with an f'd up knee not a lot of fun either.

I carried my BP meds with me, my stuff was never searched. The bottles are clearly marked with my name and an RX number. I was even carrying some Vicodin, which came in handy when I wasn't planning on riding.

The BP thing is a bitch, the docs don't even know what causes it. Mine is fine with meds at sea level but hard to control at 9k feet.

Steve, are you still planning to come to CO?

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 04:31 AM Reason: Spelling
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #580
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Rx meds in Mexico

I found what MikeMike said about getting a scrip (not script) filled in mex to be true. I took the med in to the Doc and for 30 pesos he wrote a scrip that I could get filled at the farmacia. I take an injectable every month and got my injections at clinics for as little as free in Lerdo (no gringos) to 30 pesos in Zihua (more gringos).
Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #581
Ninja_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
We were thinking of riding from Laredo, TX to Monterrey on 85D....spending a night. See a touch of Mexico...and then head back to the US. We've never seen Mexico and it sounded like a fun trip.

Has anyone from the US taken bikes along this route (recently)? What are the risks? We know the basics, like cross in the morning at a less busy crossing, don't be out or ride at night, stay on toll roads when possible, watch out for "topes", etc..

We are hoping for specifics on this route and monterrey from recent experience, There are a few threads and discussions around the net but most are outdated (2007 down) and I know the situation there changes frequently.

Of much that I've read....people say...don't be flashy. I'm on a bright red BMW F650GS and my other half is on a Silver KTM 950 Adventure. I have red hair and we typically wear bright yellow jackets. Even if I dyed my hair and we ditched the jackets.....will we just stick out like a sore thumb and look like targets?

Also...how much of a risk are the road blocks......and are we likely to get pulled over by police who see us as moving ATM Machines?

Thanks - Any advice would be welcomed.
Ninja_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #582
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,120
Pemex Travel Tools

Just in case someone doesn't have these:

http://guiapemex.pemex.com/Paginas/inicio.aspx

http://viajaconpemex.pemex.com/viajapemex/

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #583
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Thanks,

Been trying to find something like that.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #584
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44 View Post
Django Loco

You don't need import papers for the ferry????

I have always been told it was an absolute requirment. Planning on taking the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan this fall. I think I will still get all the paper work, just in case. It would be good to know in case I was travelling in Baja sometime and decided to ferry over to the mainland.
You need import papers from Baja to Mainland, but not from mainland to Baja.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #585
OffRoadCruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Only 4 hours left

I am not sure if it is OK to advertise someone else's Kickstarter here but here goes, this fellow has written a book based on his parents trip from Mexico City to Peru in 1959 on a Lambretta 150cc scooter.

In case anyone is interested, only 4 hours left to raise the total:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...cooter-diaries

Carl