Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #196
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Don't dodge the point Jerry, I know that You know about threshold braking, but what about the others, Jerry.

It is something you should have to learn if you are going to ride a motorcycle. Motorcycles are not for everyone, nor should they be. It takes a lot more skill to ride a motorcycle and not get killed than it does to drive a car. If you are not willing to make the commitments that riding a motorcycle requires, then you should not be riding.

Back in the late '70s I raced MX. And that is what it was, racing. Everybody crashed, and got banged up. The gear of the time was pretty pathetic, and so was the suspension. But, nobody did anything totally crazy, like they do now. I'm talking about "freestyle MX" where about the tamest thing they do is backflips in mid air. Even Evel Knievel wasn't dumb enough to try something like that. I certainly thing riding a bike in traffic without ABS is a whole lot safer. My guess is the reason for such "extreme" sports is that these idiots got bored with safe, and decided to go just a bit to far. Riding a bike in a normal manner is not as safe as driving a car. And the fact is, MOST people should stick to cars. Motorcyclists by nature are risk takers. They are also willing to deal with inconveniences like heat, cold, rain, no way to carry stuff, etc. that most are not.

I see motorcyclists as being a lot like pilots were back in the '20s and '30s. I was a pilot once, for all of 2 years, back in the early 80s. Could not afford to put enough hours in my logbook to keep my license. But flight school was mainly about one thing. Safety, safety, and more safety. Nothing was ever said about fun. And there were FAA rules to cover absolutely everything, to make positively sure you did not have any fun. Of course, other than the pleasure of flying itself, there isn't much you can do in a utility aircraft. I always envied those who did aerobatic flying. I never had the chance to get into anything like that.

I go to work, and what do I see? Safety signs everywhere. Safety glasses, gloves, and steel toed boots. Safety rules everywhere. We have a safety rule book 4" thick. Now, I have no desire to get hurt, but I wish they would give me a little credit for being able to think for myself, and use some common sense to avoid getting hurt (I have a nearly perfect work safety record over the past 35 years, and I break their rules right and left. Have to if you are going to get anything done) My belief is that safety comes from skill, experience, and the right attitude. All three are absolutely essential for riding a motorcycle. I bought myself a 6' step ladder recently. I spent the better part of an hour with a heat gun peeling about 20 safety stickers off of it. It only needed one, that said "do not use this ladder if you do not know how" I mean, enough is enough.

This is an ADVENTURE riding site. By it's very nature, adventure riding means taking risks. Risks many would consider unacceptable. I guess I just have a hard time believing someone who would ride a motorcycle around the world, or from Alaska to the tip of South America, would even give a rat's ass about ABS. But then no beginner is likely to undertake something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M62y6BgvO-0 Enjoy the video. No ABS on that bike. Just fun.

JerryH screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 09:49 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #197
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,987
Looks to me like the better route is to make a bagger from a Wing like this:

credit for photo and the lovely bike to Cerviperus :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891077

Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #198
Cerviperus
'12 Bagger Wing

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Looks to me like the better route is to make a bagger from a Wing like this:

credit for photo and the lovely bike to Cerviperus
Thanks for the compliment! It's been a hit any time I take it somewhere. I stopped by the dealership where I bought it on my way through one day. The owner of the shop wanted to know where he could get the kit, because he liked the looks of it better than the F6B. I tend to agree, but I'm biased!

One of the other things I didn't care for on the F6B was the seat, and this allowed me to retain the stock seat.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #199
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,373
Had my F6 just over one month and already got a speeding ticket. Speed camera, but I was speeding.

I really do need to slow down, the torque is just addictive.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #200
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Now that's more along the lines of what I'm looking for, with the bonus aspect that I can buy used and save a good bit of $$ over a new F6B.

Now if someone would just buy my Connie...

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #201
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,767
Thumb

Tried one out a couple weeks ago. One day in the sun and the next day in the pouring rain. Rainy day was two up with the Missus. Great bike, love the power and handling. The Missus loved all the room back there. Canadian bikes come with ABS as standard equipment. I could do without the radio though.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #202
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It is something you should have to learn if you are going to ride a motorcycle. Motorcycles are not for everyone, nor should they be. It takes a lot more skill to ride a motorcycle and not get killed than it does to drive a car. If you are not willing to make the commitments that riding a motorcycle requires, then you should not be riding.
Yeah, GFY. Elitist piece of shit. You don't like ABS? Don't buy it. This shitty "back in my day..." attitude is stupid as fuck. What are you gonna bitch about next? Front brakes? Rear suspension? Multiple cylinders?
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #203
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Yeah, GFY. Elitist piece of shit. You don't like ABS? Don't buy it. This shitty "back in my day..." attitude is stupid as fuck. What are you gonna bitch about next? Front brakes? Rear suspension? Multiple cylinders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH
hey you kids! Get off my lawn!
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #204
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
I have no problem with ABS brakes, but what I can't stand is linked brakes which are becoming more and more commonplace for some dumb reason.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #205
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
I have no problem with ABS brakes, but what I can't stand is linked brakes which are becoming more and more commonplace for some dumb reason.
They're becoming more common for the same reason as ABS... safety. You always heard "always use both brakes", right? Now, you will.

My understanding is that some of the better systems are linked in a way that allows you to only use the rear, but not only use the front. Is that true? Or a proportioning valve that only links them under "high squeeze" conditions?
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #206
Cerviperus
'12 Bagger Wing

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
My understanding is that some of the better systems are linked in a way that allows you to only use the rear, but not only use the front. Is that true? Or a proportioning valve that only links them under "high squeeze" conditions?
Here's a decent overview on the GL1800riders Forum: Link

Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #207
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,373
In slow speed maneuvers I drag the rear brake. I think I can feel the linked front brake drag as well and it does take some getting used to. This really is a much bigger bike than I've ridden. I came off a DL650.

I'm used to it now and it hasn't been a big deal for me.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #208
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Honda F6B..what do ya know?

I really like the looks of the F6B. Goldwing on steroids. Any opinions? Never wanted a GoldWing, have considered a Kawasaki Concours, or a BMW inline six, but the Honda sure has a look about it. Not ready for a big rolling couch just yet, but when I do retire and have time to take that epic ride, the F6B looks like it would be a great choice
Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #209
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 189
That F6B does look good for a goldwing and cudos to Honda for continually being able to refresh the big wing to keep people interested but for god sakes, i sure hope they add cruise control to this bike or atleast offer it as an option asap! A "touring bike" without cruise, to me just seems annoying while racking up the miles.
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #210
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,981
I have always wanted to do something similar to this, but with a big luggage rack and a solo seat. I thought I would find a take off seat on fleabay and hack it up. Maybe get some of those flat gas cans that are meant for the back of a jeep and have them lay flat with a rack on top for your tent/sleeping bag etc. Nice to get another 5 gallons of range. I haven't looked or searched this thread, does anyone know of something someones done like that?

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote