Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #136
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
stupid question. do the Geico/Muscle Milk team riders qualify for contingency as they are already (I think it's so confusing these days it was simpler when they were either factory riders or they weren't) on Honda's payroll with I'm assuming incentives in their contracts based on results.
Yes, in most cases they get the contingency bucks too.
They just have to turn in the race reports and claim forms.

Run non-OEM colors as the primary bike design and you get zero, like J-Law's black Yamaha a while back, and the motoconcepts bikes currently.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #137
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
I think Aldon Baker is using cutting edge non detectable ped's with RV.
Is this wild ass guessing or are there any pragmatic reasons to think this?

Friend in AU says Reed has been battling a virus for two weeks now and that's why he's showing so poorly.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #138
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

Friend in AU says Reed has been battling a virus for two weeks now and that's why he's showing so poorly.
Old age.It gets us all.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #139
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Is this wild ass guessing or are there any pragmatic reasons to think this?
Just stink bait on a treble hook.
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #140
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
Just stink bait on a treble hook.
Haha.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #141
nachtflug OP
infidel

Oddometer: 46,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
shitbox diesels
I've been watching some helmet cam video's lately from both the local and pro level and the audio is interesting to say the least. it's almost like throttle control is a lost art - to a point. I'm not knocking todays riders they defy logic at the level of speed which they are traversing terrain. but the audio tracks almost makes it sound somewhat boring but the way these things are pulling on their arm sockets must keep them interested.

watched this one today. once Stewart gets out front it's just a non stop drone of relatively the same rpm for lap after lap.

also gotta love the pit boards on this. like he can read anything going by at that speed!

these go pro video's are freaking cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M2vKcFXesE
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #142
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
I've been watching some helmet cam video's lately from both the local and pro level and the audio is interesting to say the least. it's almost like throttle control is a lost art - to a point. I'm not knocking todays riders they defy logic at the level of speed which they are traversing terrain. but the audio tracks almost makes it sound somewhat boring but the way these things are pulling on their arm sockets must keep them interested.

watched this one today. once Stewart gets out front it's just a non stop drone of relatively the same rpm for lap after lap.

also gotta love the pit boards on this. like he can read anything going by at that speed!

these go pro video's are freaking cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M2vKcFXesE
the new throttle control is the clutch ( these guys are bad a$$)WFO

B1KSOLO screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 06:41 AM
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #143
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
the new throttle control is the laptop ( these guys are bad a$$)WFO

Fixt for you

Program the 2 or 3 modes you want, fine tune each one for maximum desired output and response.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #144
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Fixt for you

Program the 2 or 3 modes you want, fine tune each one for maximum desired output and response.
60hp is still 60hp. What you do with it is up to your right hand. Traction control is a different matter.....

I still own a 2-smoker that I rode at Englishtown, NJ. After getting the chances to borrow a 2004 YZ450F and a 2008 YZ250F for a day each I can say I MUCH prefer the power delivery of a 450F on the motocross track or in the woods. The 250F fell flat on its face at top end RPM which took away from the fun but still had nice low end torque compared to my 250 2-stroke. I'd love to try the new fuel injected 450s.

Throttle control was a little harder with the 450 compared to my 250. Riding my 250 on a track its always above the power band so throttle control never really applies, I just kept more or less kept it close to wide open. Even on a huge motocross track the 450 had way more power then I could use so it involved more throttle control. These pros are going to ride whatever they get WFO so I don't think it matter much.

Fajita Dave screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 04:33 PM
Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #145
nachtflug OP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
the new throttle control is the clutch ( these guys are bad a$$)WFO
I've noticed that. Incredible change in philosophy literally right from the starts. I remember the mad revving frenzies from starting lines past with guys just revving the snot out of the bike waiting for the flag, rubber band, or gate to drop. It was crazy. Now they all just sit there patiently and hold it wide open. It's even crazier.

But yes the clutch is the key, almost a throwback to the pre 1920 board track racers where the things didn't even have a throttle. they just ran wide open and you used the kill switch as needed.

I just can't comprehend having that much control of that much power at the knuckle of one finger and being able to do that while still doing everything else on the bike. Even the kids do it. Boggles the mind.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #146
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,199
Quote:
I've noticed that. Incredible change in philosophy literally right from the starts. I remember the mad revving frenzies from starting lines past with guys just revving the snot out of the bike waiting for the flag, rubber band, or gate to drop. It was crazy. Now they all just sit there patiently and hold it wide open. It's even crazier.

But yes the clutch is the key, almost a throwback to the pre 1920 board track racers where the things didn't even have a throttle. they just ran wide open and you used the kill switch as needed.

I just can't comprehend having that much control of that much power at the knuckle of one finger and being able to do that while still doing everything else on the bike. Even the kids do it. Boggles the mind.
Howerton was one of the first to rail corners wide open and just modulate the clutch. Hell, everyone is doing it now and have been for a long time. At least the dopes that have learned how to.

See 1975 in the story below.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...03ad233af.aspx
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #147
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Howerton was one of the first to rail corners wide open and just modulate the clutch. Hell, everyone is doing it now and have been for a long time. At least the dopes that have learned how to.

Good stuff.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #148
nachtflug OP
infidel

Quote:
Howerton
Sure would be nice to see him hit some of the vintage events but he keeps a pretty low profile. I've heard his health is not good but never heard any specifics.

Unadilla is having their 2nd annual VMX in 2 weeks. Quite a crew scheduled to be there with Lackey, Jones, Weinert, Hansen, Stanton, etc all due to come east along with John DeSoto, be cool to see him. Unadilla has even gone on record that they are allowing beer this year.

Not ure why Legends and Hero's honored Andrew Short last week in Colorado. I know Short is from there but he's still actively riding.

And I'm not sure if he qualifies as a legend or hero now that I think about it...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #149
No Degree
~~~~~~~~~~

Oddometer: 275
Quote:

Thanks for the link. That history lesson was outstanding!
No Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #150
nachtflug OP
infidel

so the big news...the upcoming national at Southwick will be the "last one", and per his son Ryan via facebook it will also be John Dowds last year riding nationals so there is that too.

personally I've been to southwick 2 years running and will go to the next one which is in just a few weeks but it is the most god awful track to spectate I've ever seen and the goddam fences make it even worse to try to point a lens at anything. hard to pass up as it's actually closer than unadilla for me but I'm not losing any sleep over it..