Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #121
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,111
Thanks Mr Toad, taken close to our new place in south eastern Tennessee.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #122
Tiellswheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
I added a '13 Road King to the collection, Reminds me of a 50's era Buick or Olds but made with modern materials, great brakes, great tranny, excellent fueling and good running motor. will cruise at 90 all day long great gas mileage.

Completely enjoyable.

Don't have one but would like to. Beautiful bike that looks like it could do it all. Congrats.
"76 R90/6 (sold)
Tiellswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #123
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
I added a '13 Road King to the collection, Reminds me of a 50's era Buick or Olds but made with modern materials, great brakes, great tranny, excellent fueling and good running motor. will cruise at 90 all day long great gas mileage.

Completely enjoyable.

So lemme get this straight... I'm gonna do some detective work here: Deans BMW owns many BMWs, founded a BMW club....and now rides a Harley. And appreciates it too.

THIS MUST BE A FAKE POST!! We all know that Harley's suck, right?

Haha! Nice bike Dean. Nice pics too.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #124
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Watch this video. I had 4 Harley's and actually got use to it in a sweeper. Then it happened on a bad rode, that was it for me. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=Gmw6QppXnEY
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #125
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
Watch this video. I had 4 Harley's and actually got use to it in a sweeper. Then it happened on a bad rode, that was it for me. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=Gmw6QppXnEY
Harley improved the frame in 2009. Mine, a stock 2011, doesn't do that, at higher speeds and more lean angle than in the CHP test.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #126
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,111
Guys, I enjoy my '13 Road King, reminds me of a 50's Buick or Olds but with better materials and metals and engineering of the original engine along with much better brakes, suspension, excellent fueling, and even smooth and handling. a lot of fun to ride, but still a modern built low tech bike.

Outstanding fit and finish also.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #127
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
School me on the twin cam 88 motor.
I've been looking at the used RK market. The 88s are priced right. Many have low miles.
Did these motors have issues?

Where those issues addressed?
I saw that too... I have a 2013 Road King Police model but I brouse craigslist all the time. One saturday i woke up and realized I'd picked up an immaculate 2000 Road King with the 88", Andrews tw37 gear driven cams and ported/decked heads for 6500... The Magnetti Marelli Fuel Injection sucks so I'm in the process of pulling that off to be replaced with a Mikuni HSR42 and Crane ignition. Fun bike, I'm not sure if I'll keep it or resell later.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #128
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,817
09 Road King

It is one of the few bikes I have sold that I wish I didn't. This is from a ride cross country with friends.

darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #129
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
I saw that too... I have a 2013 Road King Police model but I brouse craigslist all the time. One saturday i woke up and realized I'd picked up an immaculate 2000 Road King with the 88", Andrews tw37 gear driven cams and ported/decked heads for 6500... The Magnetti Marelli Fuel Injection sucks so I'm in the process of pulling that off to be replaced with a Mikuni HSR42 and Crane ignition. Fun bike, I'm not sure if I'll keep it or resell later.
I bought new a 2000 and added Andrews TW26G's, the 95" big bore kit, and also replaced the Marelli stuff with the Mikuni and Crane. 87K miles and I love it.
To Dean's point on the fit and finish, Harley knows how to lay down paint. My tank and fenders still look new, and great. I used a clay bar on the whole bike a couple of weeks ago and can't stop looking at it.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #130
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Everyone that I've talked to says the carb is a vast improvement over the MM...

This is a good strong motor, still makes 150psi front and rear, (at 7000 feet elevation) no leaks or drips, but it surges, fuel economy blows, idle speed wanders all over the map.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #131
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I have had all Harleys...except a Road King. Never thought I would like it. Found this one 3 miles from my house for sale in Feb and I Bought this Road King. My wife told me That I seem to like this Harley, and I do! Keeping it I guess

Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #132
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
I have had all Harleys...except a Road King. Never thought I would like it. Found this one 3 miles from my house for sale in Feb and I Bought this Road King. My wife told me That I seem to like this Harley, and I do! Keeping it I guess

Hap
Nice.

How do you like the lowers? I did about 300 miles straight highway yesterday, 70 to 80 mph the whole time. Wind was trying to blow my feet off the floorboards pretty bad, it was getting annoying. I'm too short for highway pegs, so that's not an option. Can't reach the crashbars.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #133
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Nice.

How do you like the lowers? I did about 300 miles straight highway yesterday, 70 to 80 mph the whole time. Wind was trying to blow my feet off the floorboards pretty bad, it was getting annoying. I'm too short for highway pegs, so that's not an option. Can't reach the crashbars.
No lowers on my Classic and floorboard extenders cured that problem for me. Moves them out about an inch or so. It's surprising how much more solidly your foot stays planted.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #134
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
No lowers on my Classic and floorboard extenders cured that problem for me. Moves them out about an inch or so. It's surprising how much more solidly your foot stays planted.
Cheap enough, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #135
Ubergoober
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I picked up my '08 Road King two years ago with 32K on the ticker. My '93 FXR died the death just outside the dealership in Des Moines, IA, and after some wheeling and dealing it was easier to get the road king and sell the FXR to the service manager, who was looking for one. It took a while to really accept the change - I really liked the FXR. But two years later, 5 tires, 5400 miles, two more cross-cocuntry trips and several to Canada, you'd have to pry this one from me now. At 6'4", 260 lbs, my uncle says Im the first person he's ever seen that makes a Road King look like it might not be quite enough bike. But it is. Here's last week's photo, beside Mt. St. Helens: