Oddometer: 1,119
Outstanding Matt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...6stTXHr5s#t=0s
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #152
Magnon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Great write up and photos Matt.

Thanks everyone for coming and making it a good trip. All things considered we did well with the weather with only one wet day. It's been raining and cold here for the past week and set to continue as such for next week.

I didn't even take a camera this year (I forgot it in the last minute panic to get the bike packed) and I don't think anyone in my group took many photos. we had a good trip despite a few detours and delays due to mechanical hiccups we still managed to get to the restaurant in time for a decent lunch - everyone knows where my priorities lie.

I would like to thank Clive for his special spannering on day 1 - I'd managed to bring a spare chain as I'd spotted a dodgy link on the one on the bike (on Sunday afternoon) but also managed to bring the wrong sized socket required to fit the new endless chain. Our tame Dakar mechanic took charge and sorted the problem quickly.

Thanks also to Chris B who, despite ridicule from certain quarters, still brought his multimeter with him, which helped determine that it was the battery on my bike that was knackered and the not the fuel injection system, as indicated by various dashboard lights. My rising stress levels at this point stem from the fact that, at heart, I'm a luddite. Whilst I love the 690 for what it does well I've always wished it had a carb and a kickstart. Thanks are due to Clive for contacting his friendly, helpful KTM dealer mate in the UK, Kustlo for earnestly cleaning out connectors etc., Matt for the loan of his jump leads and Seamus for the loan of his battery and getting me a new one when he collected his parts (and also to anyone who helped by pushing).

Once the bike was back on the road we regrouped and headed into St Cere for coffee. We decided to bypass the morning trails as it was already about 11.30 and head to Camps on the road. This for me was the worst part - at least on the trails you can usually generate some heat but by the time we arrived at Camps I was frozen to the core. We found that almost everyone else had congregated at the restaurant where we had a very good lunch. Talking to the owners afterwards; they told me that they'd only bought the place about 5 months before and after a fairly desperate winter season with virtually no customers and now the extended cold weather wasn't helping much, having 20 odd bikers turning up out of the blue was most welcome, even though we left large pools of muddy water all over their floors. I was impressed that they could provide such good meals with no notice at all when the Soleil d'Oc campsite made a complete balls up of the catering in the evening, even though they'd had several hours notice.

After lunch at Camps we split up with Clive, Chris and Jim going by road to Argentat to secure Mobile homes whilst Kustlo and I followed the trails having great fun on the wet, muddy lanes. Time was getting on and once we reached the most easterly point of the route, bearing in mind the campsite was back west of the lunchstop, we took to the road for a few kms hoping to cut the trace again and do the last few trails into Argentat but unfortunately water had got into my GPS making the display very dim and I missed the poit at which we rejoined the trace and we went all the way on the road.

Phinn and Jim headed off back to the Auvergne on Thursday morning as the weather was still looking threatening so we were just a group of 4.

I struggled on with the dim GPS display in the morning liaising with Chris who had the traces on his GPS 60 (ex Gazz) but some of the road detours around lanes with no entry signs were longer than necessary. We stopped for a good lunch in Beaulieu and after lunch I borrowed the GPS60 and managed to tyrap it onto my bracket which worked OK but made the zoom buttons hard to get at. The afternoons route was a pleasant ride with a couple of impassable lanes due to slippery rock. Karl managed to get up the second one of these where Gazz's group had turned around. Clive, Chris and I detoured and found a really tricky, but passable lane, that will definately feature on next years route. We eventually met up with Karl and continued to the campsite.

We fitted the new battery to my bike and Seamus got his bike back together on Thursday evening. A bit of a slow start on Friday morning partly due to the cold and partly due to acohol induced comas. Glenn and Roy joined our group (as the rest of their group had opted for a hotel in Brive) and were probably impressed with the way inb which I navigated smoothly to the first lane of the day (not!). I blame it on my lack of familiarity with the GPS as I do the rest of the days navigational mishaps - there were many and, in the end, the desperate need for fuel for the 450 meant a fairly long road ride back to the campsite.

Despite the occassional grumpy spat I did have a thouroughly good week, with the unpleasantness of the soggy road ride on Wednesday morning easily forgotten after the fun of sploshing about on the muddy trails in the afternoon.

Look forward to doing it all again next year.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #153
ChubbyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Look forward to doing it all again next year.

I think thats the bit we were hoping to read Charles. Here you are leading the posse into Rocmadour

ChubbyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #154
Daithi
Destination Unknown.

Oddometer: 176
Absolutely fantastic weeks trailriding, some of the technical stuff was amazing, the Big Rock followed by the tree roots on the last day were one of the highlights Thanks Charles, Famous, Stoic and Napster for a thrilling week.

The Mule and the Donkey

Stunning Scenery....

I wasn't the only one thinking about licking the plate, the "CUSTARD" was delicious.

Iphone photo isn't the best indoors, pity it's blurry.....

I got loads of Video of the event from Stoic which I'm trying to put onto a DVD, in the meantime here's a few clips onto YouTube to whet the appetite.

Daithi screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 05:44 AM
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #155
owdknacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I had a terrific week, thanks to Charles and everyone else involved.

Most of the week was spent tail ending with Gazz doing a top job pathfinding.

After fearing the rain forecasted for thursday night / friday (that never appeared), a few of us opted for the soft option of a neaby motel. This meant fridays group was Gazz, Rick, Timpo and me.
Gazz was happy to pass pathfinder roll over to Timpo who declared whilst we were a small group we could up the pace and do the longer/harder route.

Things were going well until ater the rock slab by the river when we appeared to be off route, a descent of a 45 degree banking to find a passable route, this was accomplished by me and the 640 adventure sliding down on our side mostly.

On the way out of the valley Rick injured his foot against a rock but was able to reach the road and head for camp.

The three of us carried on without incident until Timpo fell victim to the Dreaded red mud lane, his bike stuck wheel deep in the dreaded mud. We pushed and pulled to no effect so the orange strap was pulled from my bag of tricks an looped round a fork leg, Gazz and me had an end each and on the count of three gave a superhuman heave on the strap, unfortunately the strap slipped from my grip which ended with the pair of us on our arses rolling about in said mud .

Timpo tried to hide his laughter for at least 2 seconds, While i saw the funny side of it . . . . Gazz was not amused, . . . . i tried to lay the blame squarely on Gazz but as he still had the orange strap in his hand, I was found guilty.

Gazz and me opted to bypass this hazzard and meet Timpo at the end of the lane.

Things went quickly downhill from here, Timpo said it was'nt far (yeah right ) so we might as well finish the route. although by this time i was completely knackered i was keen to finish the route.
An off camber rock slab with an awkward route took me three attempts with Gazz lifting the bike off me each time, Timpo appeared at the last rescue to see what we were fecking about at, the extra pair of hands got me on the way again.

The next hazzard was the damaged bridge, Gazz suggested we bypass this one, but Timpo went to check the depth of the ford ( fast and deep), while i came accross some suitable logs to effect a repair, Gazz shook his head in disbelief, but with 2 engineers on the team a falling down bridge was'nt going to stop us.

The rest was plain sailing after this and we were soon at the camp site.

I should have mentioned that Gazz the riding god cleared the rock slab by the river unaded.

By the end of the day Timpo and me became the F.X. twins. . . . . . I was Fecking X-hausted and Timpo was Fecking X-haspirated waiting for me.

Len.

owdknacker screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 01:50 PM
owdknacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #156
Hew
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Well done Len.
I can see that you found some bananas but what about sausage rolls.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #157
TelfordKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Brilliant write ups and pictures really enjoyed these stories, must get a bigger bike one day and join one year for the craic
TelfordKnobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #158
Rondini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Rondini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #159
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Whats up Pete ? goune all shy on us !!!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #160
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondini View Post
In true Vasco De Garmin styleee..........
Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #161
Rondini
Adventurer

Hmmm I didn't realise one has to have a photobucket account to insert photos on ADV now, and I wanted to share a couple - watch this space...... Vasco
Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #162
Rondini
Adventurer

Rondini screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 04:05 AM Reason: Hanging round on take off......
Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #163
Rondini
Adventurer

Rondini screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 04:05 AM Reason: A rather nice lunchtime stop...
Old 06-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #164
Rondini
Adventurer

Fetch the orange strap......

Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #165
Rondini
Adventurer

Stuck but still smiling....