User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
workutah OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
990 on motorcycle trailer

Anyone have a good way to use tie downs for this bike? The wide front end is tough to clear with tie downs close to center of bars.
workutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
? I don't see how it's different than any other bike. Although getting it in pickup with a 9" lift is interesting.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
shawty950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
This is how I do it

See this post...not mine but this is how I do it minus the rear tie down.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=726

I usually tie thru the rear wheel back to the rear edge of the trailer. It ties the back down but still leaves the rear suspension to move. ( I always found tie the rear down by a point on the frame that it bounced up and down and would go slack/taught all the time)

Shawty
shawty950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
ColoradoBigfoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
If you want a no scratch alternative, get a set of tie-down extensions....don't know if that is what thay are called, but picture a short peice of tie-down with closed loops at both ends. Run each through lower triple clamp/fork tube and then connect your regular tie-downs to the loops. Only downside is there is much less strap needed and thus pulling it to compress fork is more difficult. However, with a bike this size you should be using a heavy-duty ratchet tie-down anyhow.
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by workutah View Post
Anyone have a good way to use tie downs for this bike? The wide front end is tough to clear with tie downs close to center of bars.
I wrap my tie-downs around the forks above the lower triple clamp. The rear goes around the passenger peg brackets or luggage racks.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBigfoot View Post
If you want a no scratch alternative, get a set of tie-down extensions....don't know if that is what thay are called, but picture a short peice of tie-down with closed loops at both ends. Run each through lower triple clamp/fork tube and then connect your regular tie-downs to the loops. Only downside is there is much less strap needed and thus pulling it to compress fork is more difficult. However, with a bike this size you should be using a heavy-duty ratchet tie-down anyhow.
That's what I do. Here's a link to the ones I use: http://www.amazon.com/Ancra-45214-10...ncra+tie+downs

You just loop them around a the fork tube just above the lower triple and then strap them down from there. Very easy and away from all bodywork.
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,473
Although my 990 has never been on a trailer, I have an interesting (to me, anyway) setup for my EXC.

The trailer has wheel chocks, so the bike is rolled up into the chock. I thne use two short legnths of chain with carabiners on each end between the trailer bed and the footpegs.

So, bike in the chock, lean the bike way over to the left side. Snap the chain to the trailer and to the peg. Then lean the bike to the right, pulling hard on the right side of the bars- this will compress the suspension, as the left footpeg is tied down via the chain. Pull REALLY hard on the handlebar and carefully (DON'T CATCH YOUR FINGERS) snap the right side chain into place on the right footpeg.

And you're done.

The two chains are very tight from the suspension springs, and very sturdy. Bike(s) sit solidly in place.

Just because it gives me the heebie-jeebies, I add tiedowns to the triples, but they are usually a little loose. I also have a heavy strap from the rear tire to the trailer bed.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
FakeName

Oh- I also cut off the hooks on all my tie-downs and substitute REAL climbing carabiners I buy used off ebay. Not the cheesy hardware store versions- check the rated stregnth on those- it's not much.

And use soft-ties.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 05-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
ColoradoBigfoot
Adventurer

good idea! I shall try to replicate your work...I guess just hacksaw the hook off?
Thanks.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBigfoot View Post
good idea! I shall try to replicate your work...I guess just hacksaw the hook off?
Thanks.
For the industrious, a hacksaw will work fine. For the lazy like myself, I use a power tool with a cutting wheel- but be careful not to melt the strap.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
ColoradoBigfoot
Adventurer

That's a great reply! I like humor with a message. I'll probably go the lazy way as well. Thanks for schooling me in the art of working smarter, not harder.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
I echo the method of using the lower triples. Currently on a trip with the bikes in tow behind our camper (for the first time) and have experimented with several options thus far. The best method by far is to wrap around the fork legs just above the lower triples as described above.

Also, I just picked up a set of Pro Taper tie downs. Really only because it's what the store had, but they are great! Heavy Duty appx 2" wide strap, with a swiveling caribiner attachment for the trailer side. Then a built in soft loop for the triples keeps the hook away from anything that you don't want damaged or scratched. The strap has a big hand loop to pull with and a velcro strap to secure the excess with. I've only had them one day, but the bike didn't budge at all, the straps didn't slip at all, and this was in some good cross winds, rain, and less than smooth roads. I am quite impressed.

http://www.protaper.com/products/tie-downs

Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
ktm55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
That's what I do. Here's a link to the ones I use: http://www.amazon.com/Ancra-45214-10...ncra+tie+downs

You just loop them around a the fork tube just above the lower triple and then strap them down from there. Very easy and away from all bodywork.
+1 for the Ancra soft ties! They also come in 12" These allow you to tie to places not possible with hooks.

Going to the fork leg just above the lower triple clamp will give you the best tie angle. All ties must pull the bike forward or to the side, never backwards
ktm55 is offline   Reply With Quote