User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
headtube OP
6 months of winter!

Oddometer: 279
Charging a device on a 79 R100RS

I am recently new to the BMW community having purchased my ride last September 2012. I have the retrofit kit fitted, and would like to know if this can be used (with adapter) to charge (or use on the go) electronic devises such as iPads, iPods, GPS, etc... Perhaps there are other ways to keep the device charged? I have no experience in these matters.
headtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
waddyp
Quite Content

Oddometer: 474
On my '82 RS I installed the 400W. alternator upgrade kit to ensure the bike could power all accessories. That plus a USB adaptor, and you're all set to go. Even with stock alternator output, you should be able to handle the small needs of your personal electronics. Enjoy your RS.
waddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by headtube View Post
I am recently new to the BMW community having purchased my ride last September 2012. I have the retrofit kit fitted, and would like to know if this can be used (with adapter) to charge (or use on the go) electronic devises such as iPads, iPods, GPS, etc... Perhaps there are other ways to keep the device charged? I have no experience in these matters.
what's a "retrofit kit"????
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,956
Retrofit kit

New hair style?

------------------------
USB 2 would be 5volts at 1/2 an amp so 2.5 watts .. even if you just had a simple linear regulator it would be 12 v * 1/2 amp = 6 watts ... think the older alternator would handle that additional load.

Warin screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 02:15 AM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
I use the standard 12 volt aux outlet with an adapter from the bmw plug to a cig lighter socket.
Good for usb charger.
Run a wire from your battery to a place in the fairing and you can make a charge station to suit yourself.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,415
I have a 150w inverter to give me mains power for charging stuff up. It doesn't take up much room. Worked a treat on a month long trip last year.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
I have a 150w inverter to give me mains power for charging stuff up. It doesn't take up much room. Worked a treat on a month long trip last year.
That's a good idea Rob. I'll look into one of those mesself.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
headtube OP
6 months of winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
what's a "retrofit kit"????
Will my stock alternator handle the power drain charging two items? GPS and iPad?

It's the factory plug beside the left hand shock just below the seat latch button. (#4) The kit is #3.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
headtube OP
6 months of winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
I use the standard 12 volt aux outlet with an adapter from the bmw plug to a cig lighter socket.
Good for usb charger.
Run a wire from your battery to a place in the fairing and you can make a charge station to suit yourself.
I like that idea.

About the 150W inverter... Not sure how this works. Aren't these devices current sensitive? Each device has its own charging rate, yes? I wouldn't want to fry anything.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by headtube View Post
I like that idea.

About the 150W inverter... Not sure how this works. Aren't these devices current sensitive? Each device has its own charging rate, yes? I wouldn't want to fry anything.
Not a retrofit, it's a stock accessory fitted to some models and available for any. I have a couple in a box and was wondering where they go.

Takes the BMW euro style plug. Many different plugs available. Should be fused, an inline I believe. Not switched.

The inverter just turns 12VDC into 110VAC. I have a 400 watt one in my truck. Pretty handy. You can pull 110 off it up to its rated capacity. The device chargers handle making whatever voltage the device needs, and they limit current to the proper amount for charging the device battery. It's just like plugging it into the wall at home. But the inverter has some overhead in terms of energy used. If you can find 12VDC auto adaptors/chargers for your devices and plug them right into the accessory outlet that is the most efficient.

Those little devices don't pull much. You have plenty of power for them. Big headlights+heated grips+heated clothing is another story.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
davemon
High Speed Airhead

Oddometer: 112
Placed a charger pig tail onto the battery of the old R100S and bought a 12 volt USB adapter at NAPA wired in the charger connector and can charge the phone & Ipod and put the battery tender on the same connector. Works like a charm.

Blue Skies and Cool Rides
davemon is offline   Reply With Quote