Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #61
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Great photos,my workmate did 18mths at davis station,you may see his photo on the fitters board,1996 R Shanks,going to show him your photos and story...should bring back some great memories.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #62
gadawgr6
n00b

Oddometer: 9
This is very interesting! I came across a few of the websites to apply to work at some of the station's a while back. Is it hard to get accepted? is this something a lot of people are lined up for? Do you sign a contract? What if you get fired,it's not like you can just drive out of there? I was amazed at at how many different jobs are available. I imagine knowing multiple trades would be an advantage.

Sorry about all the questions but this is very intriguing! More pics!
gadawgr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #63
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
Great photos,my workmate did 18mths at davis station,you may see his photo on the fitters board,1996 R Shanks,going to show him your photos and story...should bring back some great memories.
Thats cool!! Ill have to have a look on the board for his picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawgr6 View Post
This is very interesting! I came across a few of the websites to apply to work at some of the station's a while back. Is it hard to get accepted? is this something a lot of people are lined up for? Do you sign a contract? What if you get fired,it's not like you can just drive out of there? I was amazed at at how many different jobs are available. I imagine knowing multiple trades would be an advantage.

Sorry about all the questions but this is very intriguing! More pics!
Its not that easy to get a job down here. There are a lot of hoops you have to jump through to get the job. Its not all about the job either. There is a major medical you need to pass, plus you need to pass a psychological test. They need to know before they send you that your able to do the job at hand. From applying to getting the job it was almost 9 months then 4 more months of training. Yes you sign a contract as well.

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #64
gadawgr6
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingaustralian View Post
Thats cool!! Ill have to have a look on the board for his picture.

Its not that easy to get a job down here. There are a lot of hoops you have to jump through to get the job. Its not all about the job either. There is a major medical you need to pass, plus you need to pass a psychological test. They need to know before they send you that your able to do the job at hand. From applying to getting the job it was almost 9 months then 4 more months of training. Yes you sign a contract as well.
I bet it would be petty easy to go nuts there! Thanks for sharing the photos and adventure!
gadawgr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #65
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Ice Point 6

Had to head out to drill the ice at ice point 6 yesterday. As part of the science we drill the ice at known GPS locations. Here are a couple pictures from ice point 6.

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #66
Nubs
Dakarmelized

Oddometer: 80

This is amazing. Those waves are frozen?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #67
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,384
10/10
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #68
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Woop woop ski field

Heading up to our remote air field that is used in summer tomorrow to collect some of our equipment that is used to build the ski way. Since summer the vehicles have been sitting up there waiting till the sea ice is thick enough. We will drive the gear the 50km from the plateau to the coast then from there we will then drive along the sea ice back to station, where we will carry out annual maintenance .

I have seen pictures of previous years and I'm expecting to find some very covered equipment. We have the GPS grid reference so we can find them under the snow!!! We will have to dig the gear out and then get it started in temperatures close to or below -50. Ill post some pictures when I get back.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #69
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Can you post more pics with the quads in them?
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #70
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

I can but it wont be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Can you post more pics with the quads in them?
I can. At first I was only going to do a small report with the quads but I have been asked to add more pictures of the experiences down here and keep it going. After all it is ment to be Adventure riding!!! Some have said an exception will be granted for this one as its not the norm.
I wont be out on the quads for a little while now because the ice is thick enough for the heavier equipment. Tomorrow Ill be heading up to woop woop ski way but we will have Haggs because we will be carrying a lot of gear to dig and then start equipment that has been hidden under snow and ice for 4 months.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #71
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 747
I am a former quad tard and a lover of all things extreme, especially extremely cold and what it does to equipment. I guess I’m a bit of a mechanical sadist. Please post more quad pics as well as other equipment you punish in those super cold conditions. Are the 420’s air or liquid cooled? I could never keep the Hondas straight.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #72
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Well I have returned from the plateau with an experience that I know not to many get to do. I have never been colder, the pain was at times unbearable!!! We spent almost 7 hours digging then getting the vehicle started. We had a vehicle break down while up there and it felt like hell on earth!! With in 30 minutes the vehicle that stopped water temp had dropped to -10 from 89c The temps were -50 with 35knot winds which brought the temps even lower. Myself and the other dieso had to take turns working on it as our hands were becoming frozen in about 5 minutes. My camera froze so I did not get to many pictures.

I have also just found out that I will be a part of a 8 man traverse team that will cross the plateau for 400km to a Russian base in the Larsemann Hills in 3 weeks time. So yesterdays little effort will be nothing in comparison to this trip!! We now have to spend the next 3 weeks sorting out survival gear, equipment and fuel for the trip.

As we arrived at the plateau

The wind blowing across the plateau

One of the covered machines.

Working on the frozen Hagg we were heading up to recover. Here we are clearing the snow and ice from around the fan and belts.

Yellow Hagg after we had uncovered it and set about starting it. Temps around -55

Picture of the back of the yellow Hagg and how high the snow and ice was around it before we started to dig. We had moved it 50meter here and then it died!!!!

Here I am getting a quick picture before getting back to trying to get the Hagg going.

travelingaustralian screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 10:52 AM
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #73
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Yikes!

The idea of an equipment failure in those conditions is terrifying!

I hope everything goes smoothly on the traverse and you get some awesome pictures!
Lacedaemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #74
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Radar?

Just out of curiosity, what do you use the radars on the Hagglunds for? Keeping track of each other in whiteout conditions?
Lacedaemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #75
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemon View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you use the radars on the Hagglunds for? Keeping track of each other in whiteout conditions?
Spot on!! That is the main reason. Also at times you also cant see because of the snow thrown up by the Hagg in front, would be a bitch to run into the back of one at 50km/h. We also overlay the radar with the GPS map so we can see icebergs and land in whiteout conditions.