User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #76
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,699
Hey, there you are!

All this time I was looking for a ride report from licascurtu, I didn't know to look for camitzi!

Matt found this by checking your blog.
Obviously, I have LOTS of reading to catch up on...

I sent Lica/Vasile an email,
hope to get in touch soon...

kelly
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #77
camitzi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Hey, there you are!

All this time I was looking for a ride report from licascurtu, I didn't know to look for camitzi!

Matt found this by checking your blog.
Obviously, I have LOTS of reading to catch up on...

I sent Lica/Vasile an email,
hope to get in touch soon...

kelly
Hey Kelly, it was so nice meeting you guys, Vasile talked a lot about you! Thank you so much for everything, and please give a big thanks to your sister-in-law. It was so nice of her to let us stay in her house.
Cheers from Colorado
camitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #78
camitzi OP
Adventurer

It's always good to see old friends

As we get closer to home we start seeing familiar faces, which feels very good.
In Atlanta, we met one of Vasile’s former high-school class-mate. They haven’t seen each other since they graduated high-school.
 photo IMG_8795_zpse16fc555.jpg

And we learnt that age is just a number when it comes to riding bikes too
 photo IMG_8794_zpsdb405f6a.jpg

After Atlanta, we headed to Nashville. The ride was very boring, just flat and very windy as we entered the Tornado Alley.
In the meantime we had the very pleasant surprise to be contacted by some friends of Vasile’s, Kelly and Matt from San Francisco. Turned out they just bought a house it Nashville and were there renovating it, so we had to meet up. I was so looking forward to meet these guys, as I heard lots of stories from Vasile: the two crazy people who ride two up on the most impossible trails, making it look like it’s nothing. And now I totally understand Matt’s passion as he’s been riding bikes since he was 8 and he’s really good at it. But Kelly, to ride on the back seat on those crazy trails with no fear, completely trusting her husband and thoroughly enjoying it....she’s my hero!
We had some great times telling stories of our trip, watching videos of their rides (there’s been a lot of “Oh my god!!!” in there while watching), having some delicious tacos that Matt made and some good beer. Unfortunately in the excitement of the meeting we forgot to take any pictures, we only took a picture of the food (we’re hungry people).
 photo IMG_8798_zps8a4f3d51.jpg

Thanks again Theresa, Matt and Kelly for you hospitality!
Next we headed to Colorado to visit a friend we met in San Felipe, Baja (Mexico) at Kiki’s Campground while I was there recovering. Pete has stayed there for a few months, over the winter, and now he was back home in Colorado.
The ride to Colorado was even more boring and the winds were so strong, at times I thought they would blow me off the road like a leaf. In those moments I was regretting I lost weight So we just kept going, and stop only to gas up, and use the same stop to have a snack, stretch and use the washroom.
 photo IMG_8814_zps840732fe.jpg

photo IMG_8815_zpse594fdc5.jpg

We did one stop in somewhere in Missouri, at a motel by the highway, and the next day I did for the first time my 1000 km in one day (1050 more exactly). And like the wind, heat and flat straight highway was not enough fun, Vasile’s bike ran out of gas. Because of the wind, the bikes consumed a lot more than usual, so we did not expect that. We tried to stop someone and I was absolutely shocked to see that NO ONES even slowed down to see what our problem was. Then we decided to hold the jery-can, but still no one stopped.
 photo IMG_8809_zps9e094563.jpg

So Vasile took my bike, that still had a drop of gas left, and decided to go back to the closest gas station. The plan was that if he runs out of gas on my bike too, he would flintstone it to the gas station But he managed to get there on the bike and came back with gas.
On the way to Pete’s place we decided to do the Pike Speak Hwy. Half way up, we met the sheriff, who told us that he was going to close the road. But he let us continue, with the promise that we would be very careful. It had just started to snow.
 photo IMG_8842_zps65e7ceca.jpg

photo IMG_8844_zps99dcedac.jpg

photo IMG_8847_zps4f8a5f5f.jpg

photo IMG_8856_zps13a346f6.jpg

photo IMG_8858_zps9eaf03f2.jpg

photo IMG_8860_zps4794e64f.jpg

photo IMG_8861_zpsd2f34cc5.jpg

When we got to Pete’s place we were most impressed with the landscape. His house is in a remote place close to San Luis. He built the house with its own electricity system, water and everything, so he has no bills to pay except the satellite internet. And the interior of the house looks like a luxury wooden cabin, just beautiful! And from every window of the house, the view is just incredible.

photo IMG_8870_zps0e8976d5.jpg

photo IMG_8901_zpsc4c47953.jpg

And this is the bed we had the pleasure to sleep in, like kings.
 photo IMG_8890_zps558036cc.jpg

It was really good to see him again and catch up.
 photo IMG_8874_zps4e7a46dc.jpg

The next day Vasile got to drive his military truck and his Harley Davidson off road. We were afraid that he would want to trade his KTM for a Harley now

photo IMG_8897_zps18a4122b.jpg

photo IMG_8912_zps0e5c8a27.jpg

Around noon we hit the road again heading to Moab, Utah, where we were supposed to meet some good friends from Vancouver.
 photo IMG_8916_zps5a4c336b.jpg
 photo IMG_8918_zpsad0f377d.jpg

We missed Moab. We used to go there mountain-biking . We almost forgot how unbelievably beautiful it is.
 photo IMG_8931_zps71e4a354.jpg

photo IMG_8935_zps8adc5c55.jpg

photo IMG_8938_zpsb3f9b291.jpg

In the evening we managed to get to Moab and found Bogdan and Greg at the campsite. An explosion of tight hugs followed. And then beers and laughs till late in the night.
Two days later another three friends of ours arrived, two of which we started this trip with: Robin and Matt, and they brought our friend Ehren with them too.
 photo IMG_9098_zps23e51149.jpg

Robin and Matt will continue the trip with us for another week or so, while Ehren will have to head to Vancouver faster (some people do have to work, unlike others)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #79
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by camitzi View Post

So utterly tacky. A first world couple on a first world vacation through third world countries who have undoubtedly witnessed extreme poverty have the audacity to seek out donations. Why the hell would anyone donate to your vacation rather some cause to alleviate suffering. Disgust
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #80
cristache201
n00b

Oddometer: 2
@GunSmoke

Loool - why so unhappy brah? you're toilet's not working or something. Stinks from over here! Not the smell of s**t but your ego.

What they are doing takes a lot of courage. And you passing judgement with no knowledge about them speaks volumes about your fears and inadequacy.

How about we see your travels and your blog?

As far as donations? Do you buy books or movies, or do you download everything off torrents? If you actually worked for a living the you understand the expression "Time is money". Them writing this blog and taking the pictures and editing them for your reading takes effort and time from their trip.
cristache201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #81
cristache201
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey First World Couple!

So I finally made and account on ADV! and now I can look at all the posts and start vomit my envy at your adventures too!

By the way I think that's a pretty catchy line:
"First world couple in third world countries" (when I first read it, it sounded like a compliment, but I guess it's all context and when I read the rest of the post I knew all is normal the internet stayed as it was).

I'll be quick in this post - but man - stop posting pictures of food - I'm dying over here!!!
cristache201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #82
camitzi OP
Adventurer

@cristache

Hey Cris, good to see you on here And thanks for the nice words above. I was going to reply to that message, but then I figured it was better not to, as I didn't want to stir his frustration even more.
As for the pictures with food, I think I can stop doing that, as we are back to burgers and stuff here. Except the awesome sushi we had yesterday
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #83
Gun Smoke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristache201 View Post
Loool - why so unhappy brah? you're toilet's not working or something. Stinks from over here! Not the smell of s**t but your ego.

My toilet runneth over when the me generation thinks that they're worthy of my donation as they litterally look poverty in the eyes. Are they that oblivious to their surroundings? How about a donation button stating the money will be given to the suffering they've witnessed.

What they are doing takes a lot of courage. However what they're doing requires no courage. We've all done it. Most here including me have toured central America on two wheels. What they're doing requires no courage. Asking for donations requires a self impressed personality. And you passing judgement with no knowledge about them speaks volumes about your fears and inadequacy.

I pass no judgment on what they do. I pass judgement on a couple on a luxury juggernaut soliciting in the face of poverty. What they're doing requires no courage. Many here including me have toured central America on two wheels. Asking for donations requires a self impressed attitude.

How about we see your travels and your blog?

You speak of ego? My ego doesn't require me to tweet the world my daily doings.

As far as donations? Do you buy books or movies, or do you download everything off torrents? If you actually worked for a living the you understand the expression "Time is money". Them writing this blog and taking the pictures and editing them for your reading takes effort and time from their trip.

Is it a donation or a purchase. If it's a purchase then why give it away? Why not sell it? The very act of asking for a donation says it all. Speak of ego again. To ask for money for a blow by blow and pictures of a vacation is boorish. I stopped reading the blog at the end of the first post as that paypal button scrolled into view

No this is not for my reading pleasure. This is purely a "hey all look at what we do; we're the bomb" The donation button has nothing to do with they're time and everything with wanting something from the world for free. Because in their minds they're worth it like that. That's the way it comes off when people come in here soliciting

Gun Smoke screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 08:37 PM
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #84
Gun Smoke
Banned

............Duplicate
Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #85
camitzi OP
Adventurer

@GunSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
No this is not for my reading pleasure. This is purely a "hey all look at what we do; we're the bomb" ...That's the way it comes off when people come in here soliciting
Just to clarify something: I din NOT ASK FOR or SOLICIT anything. And since you are not enjoying my report anyway, kindly refrain from making any more comments on it. Please refer to the rules and regulations of this site.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #86
Urban Toreador
Banned

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by camitzi View Post
Just to clarify something: I din NOT ASK FOR or SOLICIT anything. And since you are not enjoying my report anyway, kindly refrain from making any more comments on it. Please refer to the rules and regulations of this site.
Great ride report BTW. I feel the need to say though, putting a donation button in your post is a solicitation. Did you ask for money - no. Did you imply it - absolutely yes. To quote GunSmoke, people do get somewhat "disgusted" when well to do riders on year long vacations riding top tier bikes solicit donations in a world where three quarters of the inhabitants live on less than $5 bucks a day. Nobody wants to fund your vacation. They want you to be adults and fund yourself. It's a self centered act and comes across as a little tacky. I would be too embarrassed to solicit. If I had hungry kids I'd ask. To prolong or fund a vacation, hell no. Put your chin up. South America isn't going anywhere. There's no shame in not being able to fund the ride. If funds are low work a year and resume.
Urban Toreador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #87
camitzi OP
Adventurer

Final days of the incredible journey

Moab is a beautiful place. We used to come here mountain biking a lot. And every time we came here we were still amazed by its beauty. But our friends were here for the first time, and they were impressed.

So while they went to do the White Rim one day with Vasile, I decided to use that day to rest a bit. Here are some of the highlight of their ride.
 photo IMG_0005_zps11d1843e.jpg

The next day we went to the Arches National Park. Simply amazing!

The day after Robin, Matt, Vasile and I headed to Whitefish, where Matt and Robin had a timeshare, while Ehren took a different route to go back to Vancouver. Our ride was nice, with some twisties, and the weather not too bad, but we heard Ehren was not that lucky, and he went through some snow.
We went through the amazing Yellowstone National Park as well and we've seen the variety of wildlife and geisers.

A moose resting

The Old Faithfull geiser, 150 ft of water bursting out of the ground.

A bunch of other beautiful colorful geisers

A heard of bisons crossing the street right in front of us.

Once in Whitefish us, the girls, decided to get some sun and do some shopping (I kind of missed that) while the guys went for an off road ride. But they came back quite disappointed: the ride was not challenging at all.
From Whitefish Matt and Robin headed back to Vancouver, while Vasile and I headed to Vernon, BC, to visit some friends and for Vasile to have his suspension done. We followed the advice of our friend Chris and took some really nice twisty roads that we thoroughly enjoyed. I guess because we know we are very close to the end of our trip, it almost feels like we are enjoying every ride even more.

And following Vasile’s GPS we got to a single track trail.

And here we are entering Canada. We made it!

Even though we miss South America so much, it feels good to be home again. We actually had quite a smooth transition: from Columbia we flew into Miami, where everyone speaks Spanish, so the sock was not too big. Then while crossing the States we had enough time to get used to the North American culture again.
We made the first stop in Canada in Creston and we definitely had a shock to see how expensive everything was, as we almost forgot. Canada is the most expensive country we’ve been through in this whole trip. We went for dinner and we found a place that was claiming to sell sushi. Well, after we ordered it, we realized that it was boxed sushi from the fridge, so not too fresh. And so overly-priced. We missed our Vancouver sushi places with fresh, reasonably priced sushi.
The next day we made it to Vernon, where we stayed at our friends’ place, Chris and Angie. Chris was gone with business and he was to be back on Friday. Vasile was so looking forward to his return, as Chris had planned a great ride for the two of them. In the meantime, Vasile had his suspension done at Rider’s Edge Suspension and he was more than impressed with the results.

Friday Chris came home and off they went on the promised ride. Apparently it was a heck of a ride. Here are some of the highlights.

The next day we left Vernon after a few great days we spent there (beer, wings and good sushi and some more shopping for the girls) and had our last day ride of this trip. And because it was the last day we decided not to take the highway, but to take some twisty roads instead, just to end it up nicely. So we took the Duffy Road to Pemberton, Whistler and then Vancouver.
And here we are home, with our friends and family again, looking back at our amazing journey. We’ve learnt so much and we got to know so many places and meet such awesome people. It was so well worth all the efforts and sacrifices we made for this. So I will close quoting again Miariam Baird, as it is one of my favourite travel quotes: “Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.”