ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
smokskrene OP
Creeper
 
smokskrene's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: US, N. East
Oddometer: 39
Leaking forks

I had my tires replaced and now I have notice that I am leaking a significant amount of oil from the top of the gaitors. Coincidence? Or should I contact the shop about it?
smokskrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Box'a'bits
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokskrene View Post
I had my tires replaced and now I have notice that I am leaking a significant amount of oil from the top of the gaitors. Coincidence? Or should I contact the shop about it?
I'm having trouble understanding how a shop changing tyres would result in leaking fork seals?
__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Warin
Retired
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
I'm having trouble understanding how a shop changing tyres would result in leaking fork seals?
Never worked with customers? It is always the fault of the guy you paid to work on it last.

-------------

Ok OP .. you should where the oil is coming from! It could be a break line ... . Please check before you ride it.

=========
If it is the break line .. then is it a junction or has a line worn through? If the tire has worn through the line then ... If a junction .. it could have been flexed if the break calipers were not supported if they were removed from the legs when the tire was replaced.


=============
If it is from the fork seal .. then you can try cleaning it .. sometimes a bit of dirt can become trapped between the seal and leg ..
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
I'm having trouble understanding how a shop changing tyres would result in leaking fork seals?
When you remove the wheel the fork lowers drop to full extension. They may not have been there for quite a while. The seals run over surfaces they have not run over for a while, including dirty or damaged surfaces. This can provoke a leak in an old seal.


The fork legs should be aligned when the front wheel is refitted. Shops that don't know airheads may not do this. This can also result in the forks running in a different way than they were before.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon
 
Bill Harris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: backwoods Alabama
Oddometer: 6,667
Every time the bike goes on the centerstand the forks drop to full extension. And you don't have to align the forks when the front wheel is removed.

I call horsepucky.

--Bill
__________________
'73 R60/5 Toaster
Luddite. Not just a philosophy, a way of life...
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Every time the bike goes on the centerstand the forks drop to full extension. And you don't have to align the forks when the front wheel is removed.

I call horsepucky.

--Bill
I'm with you Bill. Yep, lots of horse stuff.
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Every time the bike goes on the centerstand the forks drop to full extension. And you don't have to align the forks when the front wheel is removed.

I call horsepucky.

--Bill
I'd forgotten that. Real centerstand. Haven't had one in too long.

Align the forks (the bouncy bouncy routine) every time. From the fork brace down, no need to disturb the triples.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
I'd forgotten that. Real centerstand. Haven't had one in too long.

Align the forks (the bouncy bouncy routine) every time. From the fork brace down, no need to disturb the triples.
Plus the bouncy bouncy routine is applicable to many, many different bikes. Nothing airhead specific about that. Personally, I just pull the slider back out with my hands and then let the slider slide back to it's neutral position on the axle. I think it works better than the bouncy bouncy routine.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
100RT
Studly Adventurer
 
100RT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: N. E. OHIO
Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Plus the bouncy bouncy routine is applicable to many, many different bikes. Nothing airhead specific about that. Personally, I just pull the slider back out with my hands and then let the slider slide back to it's neutral position on the axle. I think it works better than the bouncy bouncy routine.
I agree with your method, I do the same. If using the bouncy method on disk brake bikes dont use the front brake while doing so. It clamps the forks to the wheel via the brake.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014