User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Sheffy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Europe in 3-4 weeks.

I'm planning to do a European trip in July. My rough plan is to ride from the UK down to northern Spain to meet up with some friends and after a few days there, continue on crossing through the Alps on my way to (probably) Prague where I'll reconvene with said friends. From there I will take a more northern route going back towards the UK.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on must ride roads and or camping spots. My route and exact dates are very up in the air and I'm hoping to keep it that way. As such I'm more than open to any suggestions, and input is greatly appreciated!
Sheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffy View Post
I'm planning to do a European trip in July. My rough plan is to ride from the UK down to northern Spain to meet up with some friends and after a few days there, continue on crossing through the Alps on my way to (probably) Prague where I'll reconvene with said friends. From there I will take a more northern route going back towards the UK.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on must ride roads and or camping spots. My route and exact dates are very up in the air and I'm hoping to keep it that way. As such I'm more than open to any suggestions, and input is greatly appreciated!
There are loads of people on here ready to help you with your trip planning, but...we really need some concrete info first. There are unlimited possibilities so please try to give us an idea.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,765
Let's start at the beginning.

Where in Northern Spain?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Icelandic Dreamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I recommend Norway not in the way but fantastic roads all over.
Iceland of course too (cause Im icelandic) but that is further out of your planned route.
Yamaha WR450F supermotard 2004
3xKTMs and 3xSuzukis (sold)
Icelandic Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Sheffy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Suppose I could have been a bit more specific. Planning to meet up with some (non-riding) friends in Spain and it looks like we're going to shoot for doing the running of the bulls in Pamplona. This will also put me in a good position to ride the Picos.

From there I'm thinking I will head into France staying close to the coast and then into the Alps in northern Italy, Switzerland, and Austria. Really wanting the Alps to be the focus of the trip. From there I will sort out some sort of return route probably through Germany, Belgium and France - this way I won't be back tracking and repeating any parts of the ride.

Like I said before I'm planning to keep my route/itinerary very flexible and am more than open to any suggestions and I'm sure I will be 'improvising' once the trip get underway Unfortunately won't be able to swing Norway or Iceland on this trip, but definitely in the future!

Also, any suggestions on good places to stay are appreciated. Looking to camp about 50% of the time and stay in hostels or hotels the other 50%
Sheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
dragonseeker
dragonseeker

Oddometer: 14
Camping suggestions in Southern France

Planning a similar tour in Summer 2015. Have camped in the grounds of the youth hostel in Nimes while exploring the Roman ruins and also camped on an island of the Rhone river at Avignon. Lots to see in either place. Arles is very good also and is an easy day trip from either.
The Napolean way north from Cannes towards Grenoble is also on my wish list as are the summits of Alpe d'Huez and the Galabier from Tour de France viewing. eurocampings.co.uk will get you a list of campgrounds.
Hope this helps.
dragonseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Suppose I could have been a bit more specific. Planning to meet up with some (non-riding) friends in Spain and it looks like we're going to shoot for doing the running of the bulls in Pamplona. This will also put me in a good position to ride the Picos.

From there I'm thinking I will head into France staying close to the coast and then into the Alps in northern Italy, Switzerland, and Austria. Really wanting the Alps to be the focus of the trip. From there I will sort out some sort of return route probably through Germany, Belgium and France - this way I won't be back tracking and repeating any parts of the ride.

Like I said before I'm planning to keep my route/itinerary very flexible and am more than open to any suggestions and I'm sure I will be 'improvising' once the trip get underway Unfortunately won't be able to swing Norway or Iceland on this trip, but definitely in the future!

Also, any suggestions on good places to stay are appreciated. Looking to camp about 50% of the time and stay in hostels or hotels the other 50%

Re: the Festival of St. Fermin, I'd take a bivvy bag and plan on sleeping rough cos I doubt if you'll get a hotel, hostel or even tent space this late in the game. It also starts bloody early. Bloody amazing though.

There's loads of places to check out, so I'd start with a google map, draw a real rough route on it, post it here and let folks start adding to it.

FWIW I've done the route you're thinking about several times (bike and car) so think (in no order what so ever) Le Man, Cannes, Monaco, MIllau Viaduct, The Pyrenees, Fucking (for shits and giggles), the Grossglockner, Lako Como and the Guzzi factory, the Duc factory, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Prague, the Alps, Augsberg, Nurburgring ...heck, the list goes on and on and on...
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:

If I were you.....

From Pamplona, climb into the Pyrenees around Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and stay in the mountains until you get near Carcassonne. The coast isn't where you want to be, too built up, hot as Hades in the summer. Instead, head to the Cevennes National Park and Valence. Through the Vercors parc toward Briancon. From there, take this http://grande-traversee-alpes.com/ro...-grandes-alpes

Lots of possibilities to enter Italy along the route or you can drop into Switzerland at Martingy and head east. Intense pleasure awaits.

Dragonseeker mentioned the Route de Napoleon. Nice ride but not as up and down as the Grandes Alpes.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
If you are in our area The Grossglockner and Nockalmstrasse should be on your list.
Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
bartvanrth
Lord of the rims

Oddometer: 21
best and cheapest campgrounds in France are the "community campsites". You find them everywhere : http://www.camping-municipal.org/

Bart
ride reports (HERE)
bartvanrth is offline   Reply With Quote