ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,307
San Diego to San Franciso

I'll be coming into Southern California on a Memories Ride in a week or so. Looking for info on the better roads that are running along the coast as much as possible and staying off the interstates as much as possible also. Places in mind to pass by are MCRD in San Diego, Oceanside, Long Beach, then just up the coast to Washington State.
Any suggestions would be loved. Will be on my Bandit traveling light and solo.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 5,824
Just run up 1. Stop by Nepenthe/The Phoenix for lunch. Or Alex BBQ in Pismo Beach (Great portions for a good price) 1 is an amazing piece of pavement with incredible views and twisties.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,420
You can cut off lots of city driving by taking the 15 to the 210 to Hwy 126. It will drop you on the coast at Ventura.

When Hwy 1/101 leaves the coast to go around Vandenberg AFB, take 101 through the Danish village of Solvang. There is a motorcycle museum there that is worth the stop. You can also get good rest stop snacks in the little grocery store under the windmill.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
achesley OP
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,307
Great info, writing all this down. Thanks millions for the info and Keep it coming. Have not been in the LA area since '68. San Diego to Long Beach since '64. Gonna be an experience for sure. Hearst Castle was the closest I've been to Southern California along 1 and 101 and that was in '95 coming from Cresent City.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,306
Hearst Castle at San Simeon is right about where the good part of Highway 1 starts when heading north. When I ride Highway 1 coming from Northern California, I try to turn around at Cambria, because there is nothing much of interest south of there, as far as the riding goes.

Make sure that you spend at least two days getting from San Diego to San Francisco. If you want to make a lot of stops, maybe three days. The Solvang Motorcycle Museum is worth a few hours to see some of the cool bikes there. It's also worth spending an hour or so at Piedras Blancas observing the elephant seals there. And you'll want to stop at just about every turnout on Highway 1 until you get to Monterey, to enjoy the view.

For combined sight seeing mixed with riding, it's hard to beat Highway 1.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Make sure that you spend at least two days getting from San Diego to San Francisco.
This would be good if you can find a place to stay along the coast. I have always thought it would be cool to stay in a "yurt".

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,128
You can take PCH through Oceanside, but in Long Beach take Ocean Blvd...PCH is 17th Street!

Come through Seal Beach and at Westminster turn left on 2nd Street in Long Beach, then after Belmont Shore leftish on Ocean.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote