Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #61
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Wow! Good luck with your moto! Sorry, I don't understand this: "Had the mc failure three times (now replaced with a radial type from a SD)." Is that one of the master cylinders?
Im curious about that as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #62
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,772
Jimmy Lewis's 950 with 100,000 miles.

Donnie,
Here is a sidebar from a recent cycle world magazine that should interest you.
Also,I bet those are not easy miles !!!

I for one enjoy hearing about high mileage bikes and riders so keep sharing your experiences for those of us who understand and appreciate them.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #63
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Donnie,
Here is a sidebar from a recent cycle world magazine that should interest you.
Also,I bet those are not easy miles !!!

I for one enjoy hearing about high mileage bikes and riders so keep sharing your experiences for those of us who understand and appreciate them.

Thanks! I subscribe to Cycle World and had read that as well! I guess the question is how many dwj miles equals one Jimmy mile! I would think at a minimum of 2 to 1. My moto will see a lot of 80 MPH plus cruising, but very little time near Red Line. It has probably been at red line in a single gear less that 25 times in the 15,000 miles I have put on it and that was when I first got it!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #64
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,704
Yes, Deviant had his clutch mc fail three times.

"Had the mc failure three times (now replaced with a radial type from a SD)." Is that one of the master cylinders?

The 990Adv lately appear to have sensitivity on their mc. I installed a ss sleeve and a 9.0mm dia piston from EXC KTM bikes. Works well and feels lighter.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #65
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
"Had the mc failure three times (now replaced with a radial type from a SD)." Is that one of the master cylinders?

The 990Adv lately appear to have sensitivity on their mc. I installed a ss sleeve and a 9.0mm dia piston from EXC KTM bikes. Works well and feels lighter.
Cheers.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #66
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,907
Don't know if this will add any data, but my 06 950 is at about 61k now, it's running better than ever now. I've changed the water pump (once, at around 22k- it's been fine for the last 39k), I've changed the fuel pump (twice, but the second time was just precautionary). Other than that it's just been maintenance, oil changes every 4k, valve checks every 12-15k. And lots of fiddling with the carb to make it run just a little better, and messing with the suspension to make it ride just a bit nicer, but that's just me, it didn't need those things. No clutch problems (I've changed the o-ring as a precaution), no brake problems, no regulator/rectifier problems, stock battery from 06 is still in there, but probably due for retirement this year.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #67
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Don't know if this will add any data, but my 06 950 is at about 61k now, it's running better than ever now. I've changed the water pump (once, at around 22k- it's been fine for the last 39k), I've changed the fuel pump (twice, but the second time was just precautionary). Other than that it's just been maintenance, oil changes every 4k, valve checks every 12-15k. And lots of fiddling with the carb to make it run just a little better, and messing with the suspension to make it ride just a bit nicer, but that's just me, it didn't need those things. No clutch problems (I've changed the o-ring as a precaution), no brake problems, no regulator/rectifier problems, stock battery from 06 is still in there, but probably due for retirement this year.

Thanks! You 06 is probably benefiting from the improvement made in production as time passed. One thing seems clear, the power producing part of the engine has never been a problem, just some of the supporting hardware.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #68
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Thanks! You 06 is probably benefiting from the improvement made in production as time passed. One thing seems clear, the power producing part of the engine has never been a problem, just some of the supporting hardware.
I agree with both of those statements. I do have a friend with an 04 that is in the high 50k miles and a similar number of problems though. He may have had an R/R go south recently though. Anyway, most of these bikes are fairly problem free for a lot of miles. And there's no bike I'd rather be on, so I'd put up with quite a bit more maintenance if I had to.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #69
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Im curious about that as well.
Like I said, my master cylinder was replaced 3 times in 4 years of ownership. The last mc that I put on the bike is from a Super Duke which is of radial design and is supposedly fail proof. So far (after 20k miles) it is...
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #70
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Been reading here in orange crush and the ktm info for the past week. Same model and similar mileage to yours. (If anyone recognizes this beast which may have started life in Colorado I'd sure appreciate some history)

I've ordered the water pump kit. Could have been done recently but not worth risking.

Pyndon will provide the "how" and I've cooked polycarbonate screens in oven before. Wife is getting used to cooking unusual things so the case will be fine. I think...

Clutch slave?

Probably leave this alone. Worst case is push the bike for a bit then jump on and keep riding to get out of trouble. The evoluzione seems to be the deal if I do order.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510502

Voltage regulator?

Link below and it's for a 950. Is this still same regulator? Is it worth getting a spare?

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/...BBZHZlbnR1cmU=

Fuel pump.

Didn't like the idea of spending 500 on a maybe problem

Perhaps just found the answer.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850343
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #71
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Been reading here in orange crush and the ktm info for the past week. Same model and similar mileage to yours. (If anyone recognizes this beast which may have started life in Colorado I'd sure appreciate some history)

I've ordered the water pump kit. Could have been done recently but not worth risking.

Pyndon will provide the "how" and I've cooked polycarbonate screens in oven before. Wife is getting used to cooking unusual things so the case will be fine. I think...

Clutch slave?

Probably leave this alone. Worst case is push the bike for a bit then jump on and keep riding to get out of trouble. The evoluzione seems to be the deal if I do order.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510502

Voltage regulator?

Link below and it's for a 950. Is this still same regulator? Is it worth getting a spare?

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/...BBZHZlbnR1cmU=

Fuel pump.

Didn't like the idea of spending 500 on a maybe problem

Perhaps just found the answer.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850343

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of voltage regulator problem. I plan to at least get a fuel filter and the seal for the slave cylinder, plus I already have a fork seal. I haven't decided about the other stuff. I wished Inmate gefr could be sourced for all spares, as he has great prices! Having said that, I am more concerned with the space to carry all of the spares than the price!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #72
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 206
You know, I nearly started my post with this.
http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html
Figured you must have already seen it. Very concise list of problems.

Fuel pump still worries me. Where to source an inexpensive one that is reliable and does it fit both 950 and 990..... I'll trawl for more info but if someone informed could provide facts that would be a huge help.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #73
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
You know, I nearly started my post with this.
http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html
Figured you must have already seen it. Very concise list of problems.

Fuel pump still worries me. Where to source an inexpensive one that is reliable and does it fit both 950 and 990..... I'll trawl for more info but if someone informed could provide facts that would be a huge help.

Thanks, I have seen your list before and still need to re-torque the Clutch pressure Plates Bolts.

Check out gefr , up in the Orange Crush Flea Market.

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 09:11 AM
Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #74
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Heading to Mexico

I will leave my house, headed for Mexico June 13. After much thinking, I have decided to be on the road in Mexico traveling solo June 15. That will be the two year anniversary of Sheryl's death. I will also be traveling June 16 which is her birthday. Sheryl really loved traveling in Mexico! I still think about her every day, those two days will be no different. I will return home approximately July 13.

I still need to do a couple of things to the ADV including re-torque the Clutch Pressure Plates Bolts; decide whether to mount the new front Heidenau Scout before I leave or on the road in another 3,000 miles or so; same with the chain and sprockets. The sprockets still look good and I have not had to adjust the chain since I bought the moto, but when I measure the links the way my Manuel says, they are at the maximum length; and I need to convert the Liability insurance I have on the BMW I sold to full coverage on the KTM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #75
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Oddometer: 30,686
Donnie, first of all I would like to appologize for not being able to help you with those cats back when we talked about it, my schedule has been - - - fucked up, no nicer way to put it.

Chain and sprockets - I went with these guys when I re-chained the 950, their "kit" prices were decent - http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/...r-s-05-13.html

The kit I bought had a Stealth rear sprocket but it doesn't look like they offer that now? So far the gold DID chain has been really good, very little stretching etc., it proved to be a good choice. cpmodem had given that particular chain high regards which kind of tilted my choice a bit, I've always said if cp says it works it's a safe bet.

Mileage - I don't know if you remember Hawk or not but at this point he's got well over 100K on his 950 and is still beating the guts out of it.

I sure have missed getting to see you, maybe if you swing back through the southeast sometime this year we can get together.

The only other wisdom I can offer is that it's good that you have spent so much time in Mexico on a KLR and a BMW, the scenery will go by much faster on a KTM!

Have a good safe ride my friend, can't wait for the pics.

The Second Amendment - it ain't about duck hunting.

You heatherns needs some churchin up - http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
ADVMax is online now   Reply With Quote