ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Aww. Now you've gone and done it! I'm a sucker for an orphan.

Dare I ask.......how much? (As he crinches in case the Mrs is watching).
If someone decides to pick this up, I've got a 71 sl100 roller with motor and I'll throw it in for freestyle.
pvt joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,258
There are 2 levels of VIN verification. DMV usually gives you the form. The easier on is the REG343 (i think) which is a single sheet with VIN verification on one side and title application on the other. It can be downloaded from the DMV website. Any law enforcement officer can fill it out though Dmv people always say go to the CHP. If Dmv gave you the triplicate form, it has to go through a specially certified CHP officer and you need an appointment at a CHP office. The time to an appointment varies wildly from office to office so check around.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,866
When I swapped out the frame on my KLR I had it inspected at the Riverside CHP office, the appointment was about 2 weeks out..

Took all of 5 minutes.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
villageidiot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,529
yeah, i have the triplicate form, i need to just make an appointment and figure get the bike over there on appointment day (hard to do with just my vstrom, it wont fit on the rack)

thanks for all the suggestions, i actually took the bike to the chp office in rancho cucamonga, and they would not inspect it, it has to be done at the closest office to the registration address. LAME. it took the officer longer to look up the closest office than it would have to walk out to the truck and look at the numbers.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,615
I had an awful experience at the Rancho Cucamonga CHP. Went in to report a lost pannier (on the freeway) and got in to an all out battle with the CHP male officer there. BIG argument, I mean big and loud. I didn't back down though and eventually it was sorted.

Went something like this:

Officer...."well you can't report the pannier stolen, and if some one picks it up off the freeway it's finders keepers, possession is nine tenths of the law."

Me...'you didn't go to law school did you officer? Possession in not nine tenths of the law, legal ownership is. So you are saying if I find a Brinks bag on the freeway with $100,000 in it it's mine right? I don't want to report it stolen, although five minutes later when I went back to get it someone had stolen it."

Officer...'well I'm not making a report anyway."

Me...'fine I don't really care, the insurance company just wants me to report this first. How about you make a report saying you will not make a report?"

Officer..."you are being disrespectful, I don't like your attitude and demeanor."

Me..."you don't know me or anything about me, you are so wrong."

Officer...."what kind of bike is this?"

Me...."BMW R1200GS"

Officer..."Oh OK then"

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what transpired later I believe he either thought I was LEO or Military, of which I am neither and never have been.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote