ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Heelrider12 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Any AZ Experts out there?? Heading to Tucson for 10wks, need advice

So here's the deal:

-I'm flying to Tucson for a 10 wk post
-Want (read: need) a bike while I'm there
-Unfamiliar with protocol regarding temporary residence, insurance, registration, etc necessary to be legal on the road.
-Working on an extremely limited budget.
-Bonus question (1 pt extra credit): Any regional riding advice regarding good rides, watering holes, desert-related troubleshooting (dealing w/AZ-specific conditions, cacti, havalenas, etc).

Thanks in advance, hope to see some ADVriders while I'm out there.
Heelrider12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
windypoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I have been a "snowbird" for six years. Nothing unusual regarding registration assuming you are already registered in the States. The riding in the area is great, Patagonia AZ and Salt River Canyon come to mind first. Wear boots if you are going to walk around in the desert. Always carry water and if riding the border areas a lot of people carry a pistol as there are some bad people crossing the border, Have fun.
windypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Heelrider12 OP
n00b

windypoint, thanks for the advice. I'll keep myself protected near the border .
I'm assuming you bring bike(s) from your native state during the migration and thus have no worries about acquiring AZ plates and insurance and whatnot? I will be purchasing (and more than likely reselling 10 wks later) a bike while I'm there...gonna have to get insurance and plates I assume? I'm really hoping to find a loophole exempting visitors/someone in my situation so as to stay legal but circumvent establishing new policies etc. Have you heard of any relevant of AZ moto laws? Or are these pipe dreams.
Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
stroming it softly
twins forever

Oddometer: 178
If you are here temp. only I am sure you can register in your own state, reg. is fairly reasonable and easy to do here though. Maybe buy a bike already licensed, get insurance. Riding is good-although hot now-Mt. Lemmon Highway is a good hot day ride, twisty and gets to nearly 10,000 ft. elev. There are many interesting places to ride all around the area, leave early and home by noon is usually good. A good two day ride is to Safford, up Hwy. 191 to Alpine and back to Tucson through Payson, Globe, etc. Are you looking for dual sport, street or what? Barrio Brewing and Nimbus are two good brew pubs, 4th ave near the UofA has a ton of watering holes and some good places to eat, what passes for downtown has some bar/cafes etc. that are good.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Heelrider12 OP
n00b

Thanks for all the info, sorry I'm a bit delayed. Travelled all day yesterday (as tornados were touching down left and right, hope all are well).

I just arrived from NC, couldn't bring bike with me. I've been trolling Craig's List, planning on finding something there. Would love a dual-purpose and have found a few options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
If you are riding street and dirt on a dirt bike w/street legal kit, you need to get street legal MC registration, the OHV decal, and insurance.
What are the AZ standards for converting dirt bike to street legal? I've been looking online, but if there's anything in particular you can delineate it would be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
Don't cut a cactus open to get water if you run out.
What's wrong with cactus water? Or just environmentally disrespectful?
I don't think I've ever looked at the weekly weather and seen all triple digit highs for the week, so ya...