Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Can't help yourself Danny!!!

Although saying that, the Tiger and I are getting along fantastically - cheers
G'Day Trev,

Great to hear you are enjoying the Tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccoloco View Post
Bit of a surprise to see the tiger gone, but the orange bug does bite hard.
And yes, some have suggested that my bike purchasing is somewhat impulsive. Luckily my wife has just accepted this as one of my inherent traits and has moved onto the acceptance phase
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #92
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I'm on the same situation, eyeing the 1190 from a Tiger 800 XC. I like the Tiger but I have a strong feeling I will like the 1190 Adventure better.
G'Day Lion,

My observation so far is that the two bikes do a very similar job in many respects. There are two area's where the 1190 stands out for me though:

1) Power in Sport mode. Flick the switch to Sport mode and the bike is just insane. I am talking about the kind of mental disturbance that hovers a front wheel above the ground while clearing triple digits (in mph no less) and smokes the rear tyre exiting tar corners. It's the kind of power that leaves your hands shaking after a spirited run and makes you feel like wearing your undies on the outside, super hero style.

Now, I'll be honest and say that my bike spends most of it's time in off-road mode and much of this wasted on my limited road racing abilities. It is cool to light the wick and watch it explode every now and then though

2) Off Road ability: This is the reason I bought the bike. It feels more composed tracking through soft surfaces (although it is still a big bike) and the suspension and ground clearance allow you to carry more speed over broken ground. The difference isn't night and day but it is noticeable and if my sense of self preservation was lower (and my skill level higher), I suspect it could be ridden at some serious velocities through the bush.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #93
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
There you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day Lion,

My observation so far is that the two bikes do a very similar job in many respects. There are two area's where the 1190 stands out for me though:

1) Power in Sport mode. Flick the switch to Sport mode and the bike is just insane. I am talking about the kind of mental disturbance that hovers a front wheel above the ground while clearing triple digits (in mph no less) and smokes the rear tyre exiting tar corners. It's the kind of power that leaves your hands shaking after a spirited run and makes you feel like wearing your undies on the outside, super hero style.

Now, I'll be honest and say that my bike spends most of it's time in off-road mode and much of this wasted on my limited road racing abilities. It is cool to light the wick and watch it explode every now and then though

2) Off Road ability: This is the reason I bought the bike. It feels more composed tracking through soft surfaces (although it is still a big bike) and the suspension and ground clearance allow you to carry more speed over broken ground. The difference isn't night and day but it is noticeable and if my sense of self preservation was lower (and my skill level higher), I suspect it could be ridden at some serious velocities through the bush.
And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, Area 1 above is enough reason for each and every one of us to forget everything else and go and buy an 1190. Mr Burren Rider, thanks for making me want one even more. Dam you.

Love the pictures and your story so far. keep it up.
turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #94
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobob View Post
Mr Burren Rider, thanks for making me want one even more. Dam you.
Sorry Bob. I did spare a thought for your plight whilst riding the deco granite tracks on the way to Dalby last week .

Old 06-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #95
goldfinger
goldfinger

Oddometer: 192
Great pics . You mentioned before about the Akropovic muffler being altered any ideas on what's required to do this ?
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #96
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Not sure if your pics are so awesome that makes the R looks great
Or if the R is so gorgeous that makes the pics look amazing
I tend to believe both statements are correct

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #97
agent86pc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
The new one

As a 990 adventure is currently in my stable I read & watch your fantastic review & photo's with great interest. I have only one concern with the R version & that's the seat height as iam vertically challenged at only 5/9" tall. I have test ridden the standard 1190 & found its height fine but I wonder about the taller R ?. Anyway as said before keep this excellent story going one of the best if not the best I've read in a long time, well done.
agent86pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #98
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 673
If that rainbow shot doesn't make front page, nothing will!
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #99
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent86pc View Post
As a 990 adventure is currently in my stable I read & watch your fantastic review & photo's with great interest. I have only one concern with the R version & that's the seat height as iam vertically challenged at only 5/9" tall. I have test ridden the standard 1190 & found its height fine but I wonder about the taller R ?. Anyway as said before keep this excellent story going one of the best if not the best I've read in a long time, well done.
the seat is adjustable in both models you can easily touch the ground.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #100
agent86pc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Ok that's good news, didn't know the seat on the R was adjustable. Sounds like the R will be my next adventure bike.
agent86pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #101
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent86pc View Post
Ok that's good news, didn't know the seat on the R was adjustable. Sounds like the R will be my next adventure bike.
oh dear i might be wrong after looking the 1190r's seat . R got one piece seat the standart got two peice :(
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #102
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
someone will find a way to jack up this bike. feels short

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #103
Krap To Maintain

Oddometer: 190
Only the adventure is adjustable but the seats are inter changable between models. Rode the R you can change zip codes in the blink of an eye, when my peak started to bend I looked at the speedo in 5th and I was doing 250kph, Im sure she will run 270 kph but I need to get a new helmet first

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #104
hdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I have one on order. I was looking on up grading my GS and rode the new water cooled. Really liked it . Have been riding bmw's for 10 years and let me say I take a lot of convincing to leave the motorad stable. Well I have never bought a bike without a test ride and never will but was lucky enough to be offered a ride on a dealers personal 1190 r. I fell in love with it within 5 minutes. It had knobbies and Akro fitted, did some off road on the test as well. I'm sold on this thing. Now waiting for a phone call within a couple weeks to pick it up. Great review burren rider.

KTM 1190 R

KTM 690 R
hdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #105
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger View Post
Great pics . You mentioned before about the Akropovic muffler being altered any ideas on what's required to do this ?
G'Day,

I think it was a matter of taking to the spot welds with a dye grinder and then pulling the bungs out. Like a big double barrel canon looking back at you when the baffles are removed.