User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #31
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
+1

I ran into doogle in Des Moines Ia - Saw the bike and knew he was on a mission. We talked for awhile, really nice guy. I hope you made it to Vancuover in time !!!!! You had to have hit some good rain on the way
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #32
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Whoa!!! Sounds like it's already an adventure. Did you by chance get a agm battery or old school?? Just thinking a wet cell bat may not like the nasty bumps in Russian roads??? Glad you're problems are being sorted where there is a Wally world on every corner. Let's hope when you crate it they all dissapear. Watching this one with toes and fingers crossed.
You take what they got.No AGM this time.But then it was my expensive Yuasa AGM that let me down-3 years old.I was too tired to mention it last night, but my new LED supplement lights also failed after 2 days.I told my wife the swivel brackets looked flimsy. When my regular low beam burnt out, I thought I would try the LEDs.One was pointing straight down and hanging by the wire.The other had 1 broken bracket.I graduate d from duct tape.I use Gorrilla tape.They are hanging nicely from ths fender now.When I figure out getting pictures to my new tablet/ phto bug Ill share the current modification.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #33
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
You take what they got.No AGM this time.But then it was my expensive Yuasa AGM that let me down-3 years old.I was too tired to mention it last night, but my new LED supplement lights also failed after 2 days.I told my wife the swivel brackets looked flimsy. When my regular low beam burnt out, I thought I would try the LEDs.One was pointing straight down and hanging by the wire.The other had 1 broken bracket.I graduate d from duct tape.I use Gorrilla tape.They are hanging nicely from ths fender now.When I figure out getting pictures to my new tablet/ phto bug Ill share the current modification.
Well remember, we're watching and have the ability to mail you stuff. Hope all shakes out ASAP
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #34
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

5/27/13 704 miles
After telling my wife the first 100 miles was decent weather, I drank my words.10 minutes later the clouds opened up.It hailed for 10 minutes. There was water standing on the road. Then it just drizzled for a few hours. I'm at a Motel 6 tonight.
In Missoula, Montana.Tomorrow should be a short day of about 600 miles. Almost a rest day.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

5/28 560 miles total 2583
I started in Missoula, MT and stopped in Spokane Valley, WA . I had lunch with my snow bird friends, Glenn and Ginger.Then I rode north of Seattle to a Walmart. As I left, I heard a depressing sound. An intermittent metallic sound, I found a loose clamp on my left pannier.I tightened it up and got on I-5.I heard it again as I got on the entrance ramp.Luckily there was a sign for the rest area 1/4 mile. When I got there I saw my chain was a little loose and there was some wear on the rear sprocket. They didn't seem bad enough to be the problem.My oil was also slightly below the low mark.I knew that the last time I got gas.I had used a quart since leaving home.I didn't want to add any, since I was going to change it at the end of the day.I put on my spare chain and rear sprocket and added oil to the engine.When I rode it through the parking lot, all was quiet. I'm back on the road, but very concerned.

I was planning to ride to Bellingham, so Wednesday would be a short ride to Pacific Motorsports-the dealer that was going to crate my bike.Then I saw a sign saying the I-5 bridge was closed.A truck hit it and both directions collapsed.I stopped and ate to wait for traffic to clear.I got to Bellingham about 11pm.And once again, no Wi-Fi.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #36
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

5/29 52 miles total 2635
This morning I changed my oil and put my new front tire on.Then it was about a 30 minute ride to the Canadian border.The crossing toke 10 minutes. When I arrived at the dealer, the service man asked if I got his e-mail yesterday. He said they did not have any pallets. "But I told you I would be here". Then Rusty, they crate man, came to the rescue.He said he would uncrate a new bike, and use that crate. And he would have me crated by the end of the day. Great service. He also let me dump my used oil and old tire. Then he had one of their guys drive me in to Budget, 20 minutes away, so I could pick up my rental car.

I was now in search of a hotel. It seems a lot easier in the USA.but I finally found one. He promised the Wi-Fi would work in my room. Well, after getting a shower, I tried it. It didn't work. I complained enough that he finally gave me a refund. Then I wasted an hour and a half finding another room. Well, I'm here, I'm tired, and I have a lot to do tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #37
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,149
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #38
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,557
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #39
MrGoodwreck
Retarded Adventurer™

Oddometer: 70
In on 3
MrGoodwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #40
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Wow I am in, I want to do your trip just never thought about the starting point.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #41
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

5/30/2013
In the morning I went to LEI at the airport to fill out shipping papers and pay $1694.77 for the transport.While I was there, the crated bike arrived from Pacific Motorsport. I helped uncover and open things for their inspection. After that, I went an hour east to visit and spend the night with snowbird friends. It was the best sleep I had in a week.I wanted to visit other friends also, but they were even farther from the airport.

I left for the airport a little after 9am. My flight was at 2:45. But I was told I should be there 4 hours early.I returned my car and waited through lines.I finally ate at a Tim Hortons. A good sandwich, doughnut, and large ice tea for the $6.02. Almost free for airport rates.

You know when you're waiting for a plane and there is a screaming kid near, you hope they will be in first class.Well I had the little screamer 2 seats and an aisle away. Earplugs with earphones over top work magic. I also had a great aisle seat with emergency exit duties. 6 feet of open space straight in front of me. And the woman next to me was moved forward. My longest flight ever. But it was good. The Korean Air crew was the best I ever saw also. 2 meals and snacks.

I took a bus to Seoul where I have 3 nights booked. It took about an hour. As usual, I couldn't find where I wanted to go. I did my usual routine. I was taken to my hotel in a police car.

I will try to edit some pictures into this journal this afternoon. I just haven't had time yet.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #42
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
5/30/2013
I did my usual routine. I was taken to my hotel in a police car.
That's the best Doug Sounds like you are doing it right to me

Also sounds pretty reasonable for shipping the bike by air over the Pacific, nice and quick I hope. Did you get a carnet or just doing temporary importations for each country? I heard you have to have one and pre-register it if you want to ride in Japan if that is your next stop after Korea.

Give er hell man
Old 06-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #43
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Old 06-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #44
rod1
Old Australian Bull

Oddometer: 90
I am very interested

Look forward to reading your reports and seeing photos. Rod
rod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #45
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
That's the best Doug Sounds like you are doing it right to me

Also sounds pretty reasonable for shipping the bike by air over the Pacific, nice and quick I hope. Did you get a carnet or just doing temporary importations for each country? I heard you have to have one and pre-register it if you want to ride in Japan if that is your next stop after Korea.

Give er hell man
You do need one for Japan. I won't need one.