Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #76
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Blacked out the chrome on the grill today. Ahhh...so much better.

Also got a 'sun strip' window tint on the upper windshield last week. There is no factory tinting up there so it needed something to combat the "green-house" effect.

any updates on the subie?
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #77
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,183
The CrossTrek is making our Top3 for all the reasons mentioned. One of Guanowife's main criteria, however, is quietness, so disappointed to hear of the excess noise at highway speeds We'll likely drive the Manual and the CVT back-to-back to compare, but greatly prefer the manual "experience".

Also, I'm still leery of CVTs -- numb & droning feel, untested reliability, etc. I still picture 2 cones, a belt, and a LOT of wear & friction between the two, as in a cheap scooter but with a lot more weight to accelerate. That Subaru adds sound insulation to the CVT models makes me wonder if they're trying to cover something up, too.
Has the technology evolved to at least meet the reliability of a "regular" automatic? Also, what are the service requirements?

This car scratches a lot of itches for us, and we really want to like it. But like OP's experience, noise could be the deal-breaker. CVT, too.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #78
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
CVT is great. We have it in our Maxima. It's under warranty. Probably not the same CVT, but still.. good technology. Not good for MPG.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #79
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
CVT is great. We have it in our Maxima. It's under warranty. Probably not the same CVT, but still.. good technology. Not good for MPG.
Interesting. I thought the trend towards CVTs was fir MPG.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #80
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
The CrossTrek is making our Top3 for all the reasons mentioned. One of Guanowife's main criteria, however, is quietness, so disappointed to hear of the excess noise at highway speeds We'll likely drive the Manual and the CVT back-to-back to compare, but greatly prefer the manual "experience".

Also, I'm still leery of CVTs -- numb & droning feel, untested reliability, etc. I still picture 2 cones, a belt, and a LOT of wear & friction between the two, as in a cheap scooter but with a lot more weight to accelerate. That Subaru adds sound insulation to the CVT models makes me wonder if they're trying to cover something up, too.
Has the technology evolved to at least meet the reliability of a "regular" automatic? Also, what are the service requirements?

This car scratches a lot of itches for us, and we really want to like it. But like OP's experience, noise could be the deal-breaker. CVT, too.
If there is only one thing I can contribute to this place, it's this: DO NOT GET A SUBARU CVT!

What a turd of a transmission! My Legacy never felt like it was in the right gear. And something simple, like going from reverse to drive took an agonizingly long second. Trust me, that sounds like nothing, but when experiencing it in a busy parking lot, watch out!

Subaru really ought to ditch the CVT in favor of a DSG type auto.

The worst thing I did was buy that car, the best thing I did was dump it.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #81
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 259
I know that Subaru changed a plethora of transmission programming in 2013 on the Outback CVT.
-1989 VW Syncro Tristar TDi (long-term project)
-Too many bikes and cars in my sordid past to list...
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #82
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Interesting. I thought the trend towards CVTs was fir MPG.
that was my thinking
Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #83
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I think that might be your right foot

CVT's get better MPG than even manual transmissions.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #84
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,183
The June issue of Car & Driver magazine compares a CVT-equipped Forester with a Rav4 and CX-5.
The Forester was doomed from the get-go, due almost solely to its CVT -- "a deal-breaker" says the author. Suspect the Crosstrek's CVT is the same.

Crashworthy, though. This one was pulled from a river after falling in due to an interstate bridge collapse.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #85
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
The June issue of Car & Driver magazine compares a CVT-equipped Forester with a Rav4 and CX-5.
The Forester was doomed from the get-go, due almost solely to its CVT -- "a deal-breaker" says the author. Suspect the Crosstrek's CVT is the same.

Crashworthy, though. This one was pulled from a river after falling in due to an interstate bridge collapse.
You sure the owner didn't just drive off the bridge to get rid of the POS CVT?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #86
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,429
I drove both just to compare, but definitely wanted the 5spd manual so we could tow it four-down behind the RV. Setup for towing below.

I did not care for the CVT though, it maintains a given rpm based on your throttle setting, and accellerates the car. If you tramp it it's noisy. The trans is said to be noisy anyway. I would much rather have a MBZ 7-speed auto, they are ALWAYS in the right gear and it shifts all the time but you never know it. Truly a nicely done slushbox.

I was the test-dummy for BlueOx, fit their base plate for Impreza on my new 'trek as a test for them. Free goods of course!!

Tows my bike trailer too...win-win!

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #87
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Quote:

seems to have survived pretty well considering the fall. funny I remember seeing the pictures and thinking that looks like a crosstrek now its confirmed.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #88
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
seems to have survived pretty well considering the fall. funny I remember seeing the pictures and thinking that looks like a crosstrek now its confirmed.
Those "cookie cutter" wheels are the tip off!
I really like the concept of the vehicle and love Subies, I am just wondering if a turbo or a DIESEL is in store next year...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #89
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
I really like the concept of the vehicle and love Subies, I am just wondering if a turbo or a DIESEL is in store next year...
A turbo diesel, 6 speed manual and pleather would get my blood flowing!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #90
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
Europe and AUS get a diesel and a 6spd. WTF is the matter with them not bringing the good stuff to the US??

Leather is an option,nicely done, but comes with a roof and nav (POS) which adds a LOT to the price. Oh, and no
stick option with the up-model either.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: