Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #691
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
Anyone else had the valve cover bolts strip the threads in the cam caps. I had and oil leak at the front of the valve cover dripping onto the exhaust covering everyone in smoke when i pulled up. Checked the valve cover bolts to find one loose that i could turn by hand and the other was tight but pulled out a couple of threads when i removed the cover. Cant get new cam caps, have to buy a complete head, so will stick some helicoils in and hopefully solve the issue.
I helicoiled the oil filter cap/cover holes and never had a issue for another 1,500 miles.

How long had it been since you had the cover off?
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #692
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
Loving the 510. Put about 400 miles on it now. Mostly in 1 hour-2 track excursions. Rode about 50 miles of street today just to see how it did.....

-Is it truly "bad" to cruise at 65mph/ 6600rpm for 20-45min? Or 2 hours?
-Is it really worse than super high revving, over and over, and banging gears for the same about of time on a trail?
-Is cursing at 55mph/ 5500 rpm much better?
I ride my bike all the time at 65 to 75 MPH for a 40 miles trip each way. No issues at all. Ballance your wheels with either balance weights, or dual rim lock (my solution)
My gearing is 15-48. Had it 85 on a couple occasions (gotta stay with the flow of traffic for safety reasons)

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #693
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 891
Don't be a dummy

I had a counter shaft oil leak that I was begining to investigate. I cleaned out the area, buttoned everything back up, and took a short ride to clean eveything up at the car was. On the way back it was dumping oil. Went through half a quart of oil in 2.5 miles. I am pretty sure my chain was too tight after I adjust when I put my 14t sprocket on. My minor issue turned into a huge issue. I have eveything pulled apart, and hoping the dealer can get me parts by friday. Lesson learned
Old 05-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #694
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
Anyone else had the valve cover bolts strip the threads in the cam caps. I had and oil leak at the front of the valve cover dripping onto the exhaust covering everyone in smoke when i pulled up. Checked the valve cover bolts to find one loose that i could turn by hand and the other was tight but pulled out a couple of threads when i removed the cover. Cant get new cam caps, have to buy a complete head, so will stick some helicoils in and hopefully solve the issue.
[/URL]
Yes, I' ve stripped one and another is getting close to stripping. I pulled the cam cap and placed it in a bench vise for tapping, that kept the garbage out of my valve train. Helicoil worked fine.

I also have replaced all of my cam cap allen bolts (that secure the cam cap to the head). The OEM allens are shallow and strip the allen head very easily, I know, I've stripped 2. I use standard metric allens from the hardware store, I keep extras and when I remove the cams, if one of the bolts gets a little worn-feeling, I replace it.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #695
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Quote:
-Is it truly "bad" to cruise at 65mph/ 6600rpm for 20-45min? Or 2 hours?
-Is cursing at 55mph/ 5500 rpm much better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
I ride my bike all the time at 65 to 75 MPH for a 40 miles trip each way. No issues at all. Ballance your wheels with either balance weights, or dual rim lock (my solution)
My gearing is 15-48. Had it 85 on a couple occasions (gotta stay with the flow of traffic for safety reasons)
I've cruised at 6000RPMs for an hour one-way to some trails, and an hour back home, many times. My 13/43 gearing gave me 65mph at 6000rpm. Stock gearing is 6500rpm at 65mph in 6th gear.

Ruffus' 15/48 combo is 2.33t CSS higher gearing than stock 13/47, would result in about 7350rpm at 85mph.
(1 CSSt and/or 3 RWt = ~500rpm)

My current 13/44 results in about 5650rpm at 60mph.

I've never needed to balance the rear, but I definitely needed the front balanced and it has stayed smooth thru about 6 tires. Got the spoke weights free from local Cycle Gear shop, they quit using them.

AustinJake screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 07:49 AM
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #696
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
I helicoiled the oil filter cap/cover holes and never had a issue for another 1,500 miles.

How long had it been since you had the cover off?
Did the valves about 6 months ago, so that would have been the last time i pulled the cover.

Thanks Jake, glad i am not the only one. I was a bit pissed off that it happened actually, thought i may have been a bit ham fisted last time i did the valves. We were basically at the end of the day's ride and it just started out of nowhere. Will get the helicoils in and hopefully that will be the end of that. Good tip on the allen head bolts as well. Do you remove the rads when you pull the cam. It would be easy to strip those front bolt heads without removing them i reckon. I undid them without pulling the rads and it was a pain in the arse with a short allen key, i will be removing them them to put the caps back on. The problem with it is, its just so easy they are right there.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #697
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
Nice to see the thread is still alive and kicking. I still own my '08 SMR450 and have right around 13k on the clock. Last year ride time was a bust for me or that number would have been around 16k. Bike needs fork seals now. Still hasn't had any motor work, and I saw the post on helicoiling the one of the prescreen bolts. I had that issue too.

Last mod I did was the ballistic evo2 battery. It's 1lb 13oz, and I'd buy another tomorrow if it died (doubt it will).

Pic from last spring. I don't have many since then, and can't find any.

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #698
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

EFI riders, on high mileage bikes, check your hoses in the tank, my hose is the $20 a foot submersible, 2 years old, and it's showing its age....

Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #699
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 625
Put 85 miles on her today, 90% street, grabbing two ADV tags.

Not gonna lie, I wouldnt mind a weebit wider tranny, but I know all that disappears when I hit some dirt. Don't want a 400lb bike at all! before I finish flight school, my goal is to ride every powerline and dirt rd within 50 miles of Ft Rucker

Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #700
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
webz is killing me

I am interested in the 2013 te 511 and can't find a write up.
I would like some background on the 13. Was looking at used KTMs and found a good deal on the 13. New to Husky but been around a long time.
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #701
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybueller View Post
I am interested in the 2013 te 511 and can't find a write up.
I would like some background on the 13. Was looking at used KTMs and found a good deal on the 13. New to Husky but been around a long time.
Husky has been sold, so there's that to consider, the bike you are looking at is a BMW/chinese engine, and this thread focuses on the Italian-made engines.

CafeHusky has the most info about the 449/511 bikes.
http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/4-stroke.69/
Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #702
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

On a dirt ride today, I hit a speed bump (a water pipe buried under some dirt) at a high rate of speed, did a pretty good "flyin' W" and for some strange reason, my 2.5 year old fuel pump died immediately after the hit, we hooked the battery directly to the old pump and it wouldn't make a sound. My buddy rode me 2up into town on his carbed Beta, loaned me his bike to go find a fuel pump, then rode me back out to the Husky and I was able to replace my CAcycleWorks pump with a car pump, and we finished the ride. I am really puzzled as to why a hard suspension hit would travel all the way to the fuel pump and crater it.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #703
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Well it's amazing you were able to source one in town. Make and model number please.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #704
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Well it's amazing you were able to source one in town. Make and model number please. . - edit, just saw the picture
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #705
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
On a dirt ride today, I hit a speed bump (a water pipe buried under some dirt) at a high rate of speed, did a pretty good "flyin' W" and for some strange reason, my 2.5 year old fuel pump died immediately after the hit, we hooked the battery directly to the old pump and it wouldn't make a sound. My buddy rode me 2up into town on his carbed Beta, loaned me his bike to go find a fuel pump, then rode me back out to the Husky and I was able to replace my CAcycleWorks pump with a car pump, and we finished the ride. I am really puzzled as to why a hard suspension hit would travel all the way to the fuel pump and crater it.
That is very cool that you could dig a pump out of an auto parts store and get going again.
I follow your posts on CH and know you are an expert as far as keeping the EFI running. When I read this post of yours I realize that sticking to my carbed 610 and 450 wasn't a terribly bad idea since most of my riding is solo on the DS bikes.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote