Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #46
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,934
Lowest ratings on record. Of course, that may have nothing to do with the quality of the race itself. It may just be a step in a long trend of declining ratings.

It makes me sad to read about ratings like these. But I have to say, it's hard to root for a series which shoots itself in the foot so often. Firing Randy Barnard, for example, upset a lot of the dwindling fan base.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #47
lewismedlock OP

Oddometer: 13,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Lowest ratings on record. Of course, that may have nothing to do with the quality of the race itself. It may just be a step in a long trend of declining ratings.

It makes me sad to read about ratings like these. But I have to say, it's hard to root for a series which shoots itself in the foot so often. Firing Randy Barnard, for example, upset a lot of the dwindling fan base.
I don't like hearing about the bad ratings. But I'm going to be an optimist. My local paper, which never covers Indycar, had two articles about yesterday's race. I'm going to hope that good press coverage will translate into more viewers for next weekend.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #48
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,320
ratings

I didn't see any energy drink sponsorship on drivers or cars in the last 50 laps that I watched. Did I miss it or is this the only series in the world where there are not energy drink dollars flowing in?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #49
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I didn't see any energy drink sponsorship on drivers or cars in the last 50 laps that I watched. Did I miss it or is this the only series in the world where there are not energy drink dollars flowing in?
Last season Marco had one Now he's RC Cola (I didn't realize they were still around. There's a joke there somewhere.)

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #50
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:

our usual group went and everyone was amazed. it started like the '92 race (cold, early yellows), then sorted itself out quickly.

the 0800 security switch on georgetown did not go smoothly, and the cold temps mellowed out the crowd too.

but it was a great race, with lots of passing (not just for the lead) but all through the field. munoz had a great showing, and if that race had finished under green it would have been a finish like the indy lights race.

jim nabors was there, florence henderson wasn't. win-win.

i left my seat one time during the race.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #51
wxwax
Excited Member

Thanks for the race report!

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #52
green hell
yawning or snarling

i've got the race on my dvr; haven't had a chance to watch it yet. left indy on monday and went for a week-long ride. watching the first detroit race right now.

with the temperatures so low and a couple of early yellows, i thought we were going to have another crash-fest like 1992. i never imagined that we'd see the fastest race ever. it seemed like there was overtaking down the front straight ever single lap (whether or not there was is another story ).

the guys i go with are from wisconsin, and they left indy with the intention of busting ass back to kenosha and watching the race on tv, since much of the midwest is delayed as far as tv coverage. i don't know how much the ratings are affected by dvr use and the local blackout. still, it's an unfortunate trend.

i thought bernard had a lot of potential, but wheldon's death undoubtedly guaranteed his ouster. they were still losing money and the canceled chinese race didn't help matters.

on we go.

needless dickery
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #53
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
and the canceled chinese race didn't help matters.

on we go.

I'd cancel any race that didn't have a full field. If they can't fill 33 spots on the grid they need to cancel the race or reduce the size of the field for every race from now on including Indy. If they are getting 25 cars to show up, then drop the field to 21...this is about competition, if everybody is granted a starting spot then what's the damn point.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #54
wxwax
Excited Member

I missed the Saturday race, but Sunday's event in Detroit was pretty entertaining. It's weird to have a winning driver who refuses to take to an oval. I understand why he made that decision, but it's odd.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #55
wxwax
Excited Member

Castroneves is now the sole owner of the points lead. Wow, this is a guy I thought was washed up two seasons ago. Well done.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #56
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Castroneves is now the sole owner of the points lead. Wow, this is a guy I thought was washed up two seasons ago. Well done.
he was incredibly fast relative to the rest of the field.

still, not quite as racy as past events. i was suprised he could run away from the pack like that. seems like texas is normally a bit tighter.

needless dickery
Old 06-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #57
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
he was incredibly fast relative to the rest of the field.

still, not quite as racy as past events. i was suprised he could run away from the pack like that. seems like texas is normally a bit tighter.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But after complaining about Indy's non-stop passing, I figured I should keep my mouth shut.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #58
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But after complaining about Indy's non-stop passing, I figured I should keep my mouth shut.

it was a little dry.

needless dickery
Old 06-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #59
lewismedlock OP

I took a friend, a died-in-the-wool Cup fan to an IRL race at Texas a few years ago. During the first yellow he took of his headphones off and said, "Damn, these cars are faster under yellow than the Cup cars are under green".
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #60
lewismedlock OP

Racing at Pocono live now on ABC.